Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No offense, but who really cares how many complaints were received? If the amount of complaints per area had anything to do with the decisions made to city-wide property taxes....well, that would be extremely idiotic.
No offense, but it's very related to the article and your post. Many Northsiders were being grossly overtaxed based on inflated tax-assessed values (in fact, I caught just a brief sentence or two on the radio that sounded like there might be an outstanding class action suit against the city coming from some areas of northside and maybe the phillips n'hood as well as a result of this?). The city has responded and seems to now be taking a much closer look at actual market conditions when assessing home values in the city and in general decision-making around the tax base. In addition to the city-wide property value decreases across the board causing the city to implement overall increases- by adjusting values more to reality (most likely in part because of these complaints and/or threats of class action), a lot of northsiders are now getting a break and I would wager that southsiders are realizing that, in addition to not having lost much property value in recent years, their previously assessed values were perhaps on the more conservative end which is being corrected in part to help address these gaps. Just like the article stated- the generally highly vocal/politically active Northside citizenry was nowhere to be found at recent public meetings, compared to an all-of-a-sudden new outcry from Southsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
No offense, but it's very related to the article and your post. Many Northsiders were being grossly overtaxed based on inflated tax-assessed values (in fact, I caught just a brief sentence or two on the radio that sounded like there might be an outstanding class action suit against the city coming from some areas of northside and maybe the phillips n'hood as well as a result of this?). The city has responded and seems to now be taking a much closer look at actual market conditions when assessing home values in the city and in general decision-making around the tax base. In addition to the city-wide property value decreases across the board causing the city to implement overall increases- by adjusting values more to reality (most likely in part because of these complaints and/or threats of class action), a lot of northsiders are now getting a break and I would wager that southsiders are realizing that, in addition to not having lost much property value in recent years, their previously assessed values were perhaps on the more conservative end which is being corrected in part to help address these gaps. Just like the article stated- the generally highly vocal/politically active Northside citizenry was nowhere to be found at recent public meetings, compared to an all-of-a-sudden new outcry from Southsiders.
Nice, then based on your theory, these new complaints from southsiders should provide us with a nice decrease in future property taxes

Old 11-25-2010, 04:54 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Guys,Guys, Guys!

When you pay more in taxes, that means that you have more wealth and that is a good thing. Be proud that you pay more in taxes. I thought that paying more in taxes "is a good thing"? It was always a response to those "whiner'" fiscal conservatives. No??

Also, you need to take care of those pensions; it's merely a livable wage. I thought that a Progressive attitude was deeply rooted in the Minneapolis political fabric???

Now it seems that no one in MPLS wants to pay their fare-share.

(All in fun!)

Old 11-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Guys,Guys, Guys!
I thought that a Progressive attitude was deeply rooted in the Minneapolis political fabric???
A progressive attitude would be taxing the rich more, not piling taxes onto the lower/middle class.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
A progressive attitude would be taxing the rich more, not piling taxes onto the lower/middle class.

Before we define "piling on taxes", we need to establish what an 18% increase equals. 18% of a Grand is manageable. 18% on my cabin is $720 on top of the $4K I already pay (to a school district my Kid's don't attend).

Heck. $180 means cutting off the data plan on peoples cell phone for 6 months. Maybe cutting off that HBO package for a little over a year

Old 11-25-2010, 11:47 AM

It's more than twice that amount, and we don't have data plans or cable to cut that stuff from. So yeah, it matters.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It's more than twice that amount, and we don't have data plans or cable to cut that stuff from. So yeah, it matters.
I guess I don't see what you are complaining about. Look at the bright side: you are helping fund a "living retirement wage" for all of the fine dedicated Union folks that work for the City of the Lakes. Sometimes it takes some more taxes to have a better quality of life. Isn't that the party line??? Or is just true if someone other than you has to pay??

Don't you see the irony??

Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM

The point is more obviously that my property has not increased in value and has likely lost some value yet my taxes are increasing 18%....it makes no sense.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:59 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
And MN Born- how well your posts exemplify "the party line"- political statements/arguments that are nothing if not anecdotal, formulaic, pushing a view that the world is only black and white, and possessing a simplistic "gotcha" type mentality.

And complaining about having to pay more taxes on a second home? On Thanksgiving Day no less? Wow...

Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Camden. I'm fiscally conservative. I'm always complaining that my taxes are too high (and they are). That includes Thanksgiving as well as April 15th!

I hope you were not one of those Northsider's that called and complained that your taxes were too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul