Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 PM

329 posts, read 456,494 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to drive to Chicago in a couple of weeks-what would be the best route to take? I know there’s lots of construction going on. Thank you for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,037,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Getting ready to drive to Chicago in a couple of weeks-what would be the best route to take? I know there’s lots of construction going on. Thank you for your suggestions!
Amtrak.

Not kidding. From Union Depot in St. Paul to Union Station in Chicago, it is eight hours. Leaves StP daily at 8 a.m., return train leaves Chicago daily at 2 p.m. Just grab Lyft or Ubers in Chicago when needed.

Two bags at no charge (you can add more bags at a charge); much, much more comfortable than a plane; hang out in the observation car when you go through the Mississippi River valley; grab a drink from the lounge and play games in the observation car or take a nap in your seat (fully recline, lots of room, electrical outlets at your seat:

https://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train

I will never drive from the Twin Cities to Chicago again, unless I need to make a stop along the way. Though I might drive down to Red Wing and take the train from there rather than St. Paul.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:48 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,625,798 times
It depends where you live in the metro. In Apple Valley, it used to actually be quicker to take hwy 52 to Rochester, then hop on 90 all the way to Chicago.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:07 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,690,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It depends where you live in the metro. In Apple Valley, it used to actually be quicker to take hwy 52 to Rochester, then hop on 90 all the way to Chicago.
I prefer going through Rochester even from the west wetro. Beautiful drive through La Crosse.

Watch out for cops between Cannon Falls and Oronoco around Zumbrota.

Prob the fastest is 94 through Eau Claire.

In Madison you have a choice to either take 90 or 94 which goes through Milwaukee. 90 is probably faster to downtown Chicago. 94 if you are going to the North Shore suburbs.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 AM

329 posts, read 456,494 times
Thank you everyone. This gives us plenty of options and
we are ready to go. Thank you for your help!!!

Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,850,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I prefer going through Rochester even from the west wetro. Beautiful drive through La Crosse.

Watch out for cops between Cannon Falls and Oronoco around Zumbrota.

Prob the fastest is 94 through Eau Claire.

In Madison you have a choice to either take 90 or 94 which goes through Milwaukee. 90 is probably faster to downtown Chicago. 94 if you are going to the North Shore suburbs.
this...

take 94 to Madison and 90 (Jane Adams/Kennedy Expy) to Michigan Avenue. The 5 or 6 bucks you pay in tolls once you hit Illinois, will be well worth the cost as you mostly avoid local traffic and you can breeze thru the I-PASS lanes without stopping at the toll booths as long as you go on-line and pay your tolls within 7 days. You'll be there in less than 6 hours with a bit of a tail wind.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cott...41.8165421!3e0

https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...n/unpaid-tolls

Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,365,777 times
Amtrak is pretty expensive, especially for more than one person. It could be a worthwhile experience just for the nostalgia factor though.

For about the same price as Amtrak you could fly there. Or you could take Megabus for about 1/4 the price and the same amount of time as Amtrak.

Either of the options above come with the advantage of NOT having a vehicle while in Chicago. Parking there is very expensive and getting around on public transportation is usually pretty easy.

Otherwise, just get your car onto I-94 East and follow the signs that direct you to Chicago. Be ready for the toll roads once you get close to the city.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,186,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Amtrak is pretty expensive, especially for more than one person. It could be a worthwhile experience just for the nostalgia factor though.

For about the same price as Amtrak you could fly there. Or you could take Megabus for about 1/4 the price and the same amount of time as Amtrak.

Either of the options above come with the advantage of NOT having a vehicle while in Chicago. Parking there is very expensive and getting around on public transportation is usually pretty easy.

Otherwise, just get your car onto I-94 East and follow the signs that direct you to Chicago. Be ready for the toll roads once you get close to the city.
I’d rather hitch a ride than take the mega bus!

Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,365,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I’d rather hitch a ride than take the mega bus!
Why? How is it that much worse than Amtrak, or better yet how is Amtrak worth over quadruple the ticket price?

I've never ridden Megabus, but I have ridden Greyhound before. Yeah it sucks, but in the end if you have a seat to sit in and a window to look out of, what's the difference?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:28 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,656,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Why? How is it that much worse than Amtrak, or better yet how is Amtrak worth over quadruple the ticket price?

I've never ridden Megabus, but I have ridden Greyhound before. Yeah it sucks, but in the end if you have a seat to sit in and a window to look out of, what's the difference?
I have a friend who takes the Megabus to Chicago regularly and speaks very highly of it. He says it’s cheap and reliable. He is also a very outgoing guy who likes to interact with lots of different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul