Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Sammy - if you have the luxury of waiting a full year I would suggest:
plan a winter getaway late January/early Feb - even if its for a weekend; go see a doctor and get Vitamin D prescribed; try to hang in for one full winter - there arent 4 more months ahead - only about 10 weeks - in that time get some rest, do some writing - find something you need to do but just have been putting off - after the first full year in all seasons - then decide.
Vitamin D is available over the counter. The sun provides this naturally and it promotes strong and healthy bone growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM

96 posts, read 131,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Hard for anyone here to tell you what to do. Depends on your $$ situation and if you have anywhere else to go to more than anything.

One thing that is for sure: sitting and dwelling about how you wish you were somewhere else won't help make any number of months go faster. Make up your mind and then do your best to get out and enjoy the things that you DO like.

Somewhat off topic (but related, still): One thing about MN cold is that if you can get used to it, there are some nice benefits. Those sunny days after it snows are some of the most beautiful sights I've seen, anywhere, with bright blue skys and sparkling white snow broken up by stands of thick evergreens. Maybe that's because I'm a native Minnesotan and have a warped view of beautiful, though.

Thanks, great advice. Agree there is some beauty in snow that u can't find anywhere else (I love biking in the quiet snow, closest thing to paradise...if it weren't so cold!)

Decided to stick around, already told my landlord. But not so sure after the lease ends....thanks for all the help!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
I dont think Minnesota is that high up on the list, plus it says binge drinkers

Last edited by demtion35; 12-31-2010 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Vitamin D is available over the counter. The sun provides this naturally and it promotes strong and healthy bone growth.
All true - but coming from Florida I never had a vitamin D deficiency until my first winter here - upon reviewing my bloodwork my physician prescribed vitamin D (which I take only in the winter) and advised that it was important because among other things low D levels lead to depression.

Last edited by StilltheSame; 12-31-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Advantage of a prescription is likely that insurance picks up more of the bill...

Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
All true - but coming from Florida I never had a vitamin D deficiency until my first winter here - upon reviewing my bloodwork my physician prescribed vitamin D (which I take only in the summer) and advised that it was important because among other things low D levels lead to depression.
Yes and plus dosent whole milk have more vitamin D fortified than 1% so whole milk has more fat in it and we need fat in the diet to help absorb vitamin D.

Vitamin D also helps absorb calcium, and being in the northern hemishpere tend to get less of the vitamin D from the sun in the winter months
as StilltheSame mentioned^ so vitamins are good

Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
I dont think Minnesota is that high up on the list, plus it says binge drinkers
Very true. This might be a more applicable list:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Very true. This might be a more applicable list:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
not fair for Wisconsin--their culture and their economy rests on beer. They are the king of beers. Anyone been to MKE? it smells like beer there. MMM...Go to wauwatosa to visit MIller!

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 AM

124 posts, read 661,066 times
If you can swing a weeks vacation to a sunny state in the winter I find it helps the long season go much quicker...I try to go somewhere twice during the winter...but I realize financially this may not apply to everyone. I agree with the vitamin D...it really can get depleated here in MN. Also...have you visited the Como Park Conservatory?? it has lots of tropical plants and is very beautiful and warm...like a little jungle in the middle of the city....helps cheer me up!!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
If you can swing a weeks vacation to a sunny state in the winter I find it helps the long season go much quicker...I try to go somewhere twice during the winter...but I realize financially this may not apply to everyone. I agree with the vitamin D...it really can get depleated here in MN. Also...have you visited the Como Park Conservatory?? it has lots of tropical plants and is very beautiful and warm...like a little jungle in the middle of the city....helps cheer me up!!
great idea. Didn't realize that about Como. Also seen people skiing there, want to try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul