Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM

96 posts, read 131,987 times

Advertisements

I don't like it here....Want to move out asap, I have a lease till July but want to go now. Not sure why people move to the midwest, in all honesty. It's very cold here, for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM

581 posts, read 2,307,769 times
Life is what you make of it..

If you pursue a good career, any place can be absolute paradise..

I moved here 2 months ago and don't find the area depressing at all.
The People are nice, very little traffic, clean air, lots of new stores..

There's a lot to be thankful about living here.. The grass is seldom
greener elsewhere from wherever you live at any given time- Just different..

Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 PM

where did u move from if u dont mind me asking? How do u like it with this cold (and snow)?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:27 PM

I've lived in 11 different cities including Denver, Dallas, Las Vegas, Irvine CA, St Louis, Boston, NY, Seattle etc... You want a depressing place? Try Seattle... Gloom for 9 months a year..

Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Oh I never answered your real question... I moved from Denver CO on Nov 1st.
I like it here infinitely better..

Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Seattle gloom? Sorry at least they can go out for jog in 40 degrees.

infinitely better? I am sure many folks from Denver will disagree.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 PM

thnx for answer btw. I have alos lived many places:

Abq, Greenville, Bay area (CA), Harrisburg, Austin, Milwaukee
Tulsa, Chicago

Old 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
That's too bad you aren't enjoying MN, is it really just the cold? I would think MSP wouldn't be that much different than Milwaukee and Chicago.

In the spirit of making the best of things while you are here, have you tried cross-country skiing, or snow-shoeing or anything like that? CC-skiing is a great way to get outside and it gets you warmed up surprisingly fast. I'm sure there are groomed trails all over MSP and places to rent skiis for a couple hours pretty cheap. Don't just give up for the winter!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
I don't like it here....Want to move out asap, I have a lease till July but want to go now. Not sure why people move to the midwest, in all honesty. It's very cold here, for me.
Give it a few months, it gets better. The trick is to keep yourself busy and your mind occupied with things other than the cold/snow during the winter months. Find a hobby, take a class, exercise, find an indoor place that you enjoy visiting or doing something at, etc. If you're depressed about other aspects of your life, the cold/snow definitely doesn't help out much (and can add to it if you chose to believe it's the cause of your mental state), but I never found the warm sunshine to be all that much of a help to me when I was feeling down about something- whether living here in the spring/summer, or in a place like San Diego (although it's probably easier to distract yourself if you don't feel like a "shut-in"). Everything's relative, and I think people too often revert to blaming geography for a mental state that 9 times out of 10 isn't going to be "cured" by moving somewhere else. And at least braving a MN winter gives you a feeling of real accomplishment once springtime rolls around!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
That's too bad you aren't enjoying MN, is it really just the cold? I would think MSP wouldn't be that much different than Milwaukee and Chicago.

In the spirit of making the best of things while you are here, have you tried cross-country skiing, or snow-shoeing or anything like that? CC-skiing is a great way to get outside and it gets you warmed up surprisingly fast. I'm sure there are groomed trails all over MSP and places to rent skiis for a couple hours pretty cheap. Don't just give up for the winter!

I would not cross country ski--but thx for suggestion!!

Anyway, your right it's not only the cold, things are rough. But the cold doesn't help!!

As far as Milwaukee and Chicago. First, I will say MSP is a ray of sunshing compared to Milwaukee I like MSP more than Chicago as well. But I don't like the cold, need to be outside more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul