Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 AM

14 posts, read 34,049 times

Advertisements

Is it more convenient to own a car while living in Minneapolis as a student or not? Is the public transport/walkability solid enough? Does it very much so limit you getting around in the immediate urban area of Minneapolis/St Paul/the dense core suburbs? There have been threads on this but I keep hearing mixed stuff--some say it's easy, some say it's doable but difficult, some say you need a car. Living in say Chicago or Philly or New York or SF or Boston without a car is preferable, but is Minneapolis like, say, Portland, which has managed to have a great extensive public transport in the last few decades? Is it like Cleveland, where the public transport is surprisingly good and extensive? Is it a good mix of walkable and solid public transport to get anywhere in the city limits, at least?

Last edited by TJSG; 12-26-2010 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:39 AM

628 posts, read 1,436,095 times
Living without a car as a student at the U is easy. Dinkytown is right there and you can take the bus over the river to downtown. Minneapolis has a usable bus system and 1 light rail line that connects downtown to the airport in Bloomington, with another being constructed that will link downtown Minneapolis (going through the U) to downtown St. Paul. This city is definitely not on par with any of the cities you mentioned as far as public transit, but in your case I don't see why you would have any problem getting around without a car.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I'll echo gearedtowardssalad's comments. It's generally pretty easy in much of the city, and is extremely easy in the areas around or near the U. It will be a hassle if you want to spend much time in the outer suburbs, but since you're presumably not, it won't be an issue. I say this as someone who doesn't drive and who has lived in several neighborhoods in Minneapolis, and who graduated from the U myself. Some neighborhoods are more convenient than others without a car (although that goes for ALL cities, of course, including the ones listed above), but if living without a car is a priority just pick one of the many neighborhoods with decent public transportation access and a high walkability factor. In some of those neighborhoods having a car is more hassle than it's worth, especially in winter with the limited street parking (due to snow-related parking restrictions).

Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 AM

23 posts, read 59,663 times
I go the the U of M and live in Minneapolis without a car. As for just getting to and from campus, public transportation is a extremely convenient. There are several bus lines: 2, 3, 6, 16, 50, 111, 113, 114, 115, 118 that go through campus. Because parking is so expensive and limited, nearly all students who live in Minneapolis walk/bus.

As for getting around elsewhere in the city, I'd say that this is very doable, but not necessarily always convenient, excluding trips to downtown, where parking is also limited. Keep in mind that trips will probably take about twice as long as driving. As long as you're fine with a bit of waiting, transferring and walking, its not difficult. And having a bike is a nice supplement: you can get anywhere in the most urban parts of Minneapolis (i.e. north of Lake, south of Broadway) in under 20 minutes.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:08 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,166 times
How is this in the Winter time?

I'm considering moving there and even though I own a car I'm hesitant to bring it as I have never in my life driven in snow or ice, and if I can get around without it I see no reason not to. I'll be there for work and/or grad school not undergrad.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
It's definitely doable in winter. Not as easy or pleasant as in the non-snowy months, but still possible. I attended the U without having a car, and now live in Minneapolis without driving. Just choose your neighborhood wisely and you should be fine.

On the other hand, if fear of snow and ice is the only thing holding you back and you would prefer to have the convenience of a car around (and it could be handy at times, especially if you have friends who live in less convenient locations), you can probably figure out the snow and ice thing pretty quickly; I know a couple of people who also relocated from locations without snow, and while initially nervous, it didn't take too long for them to feel comfortable driving in the winter weather.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,256 times
I lived in St Paul for 4 years before I bought a car. As long as you can get around by foot, bicycle or bus you can do just fine without the added expense and headache of a car. Nowadays I absolutely need to use an automobile.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,224,881 times
Lots of people go to the U without a car. It's easy from many places. Besides living extremely close to campus, you could also easily be along the Route 2 or 22 bus in South Minneapolis, the 16 or 3 Bus in Saint Paul, and several bus routes through and near Uptown.

I found it pretty convenient to live in Marcy Holmes, but towards Northeast while I was at the U, which took me away from a lot of the college nonsense, but was still convenient. Near Saint Anthony Main. Technically walking distance to the east bank. The closer to Central Avenue you are, the more bus options are opened to you. I specifically placed myself to be within walking distance of the Route 2, 4, 6, 10, and 11 which made it so I could get to most places in the city on one bus ride, and pretty much anywhere you would logically want to go with one transfer. You're within walking distance of the Lunds and a couple of neat places along East Hennepin and Saint Anthony Main, or a pretty easy bus ride to cheaper grocery stores (There are rainbows off the 4, 6, and 10...and Targets off the 4 and 6). The 2 will also take you to the west bank, if that's where you have classes, or you can do an easy transfer from another bus.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
I go to the U and don't have a car, nor do I ever need one. Almost everything is within walking distance, even in the winter.

I live on the West Bank and I have friends in Como and Marcy Holmes that don't have cars, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul