Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 15,155 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Missouri to St. Paul for work in January.
Looking for a good neighborhood to rent a house/apartment.
My work will be near the 494/94 area.
My wife loves large Urban areas and not so much the suburbs.
She has expensive tastes and drives a nice car so Parking is a must.
I personally have not lived in a city like the Twin Cities so I'm at a loss for a place to look that will be safe, close to my work, urban, and not have to hunt for parking places. I saw an article in the MSP paper where people were towed for parking when there were snow emergencies. I would hate to be in that situation. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 AM

267 posts, read 558,273 times
No one has answered for you so I'll take a stab.

First off, I'm assuming when you say 494/94 that you mean Minnetonka but 494 crosses 94 all the way on the other side of town as well in Woodbury.

The other challenge with your request is how you define "urban, not suburbs"?

If you want true urban that means Minneapolis whether it be downtown or someplace like uptown. Downtown has limited parking and many places in Minneapolis will involve on street parking which means paying attention to when and where you can park. The other challenge with Minneapolis is that it isn't that convenient to 494/94 (although you'd be going opposite most traffic).

You may look at suburbs that have their own downtown dynamic in the west metro. For her high end tastes something like Wayzata comes to mind but other places might include Hopkins. Other first ring suburbs will be close to Minneapolis with lots of older homes/apartments but a little closer to your work. Those would include St. Louis Park, Golden Valley or the 50th/France area of Edina (which is probably a nice area for someone with caviar tastes).

Certainly the best bet would be to come and spend a little time in neighborhoods to get a feel for what you think you like best before deciding on housing.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:04 PM

333 posts, read 704,480 times
I'd take a pretty hard look at the rentals around the west side of Lake Calhoun based on your needs. Most all these buildings offer heated underground parking so that isn't an issue of concern.

You could easily live in the warehouse district downtown as well, which would have you commuting opposite traffic. Loads of nightlife, dining, shopping within walking distance or an easy cab ride. Downtown actually is a very vibrant residential community.

Otherwise I'd echo the suggestions of Edina, St. Louis Park and then Golden Valley. In that order.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM

96 posts, read 131,863 times
he will be in woodbury side (st paul)

Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM

333 posts, read 704,480 times
lol, totally misread that. My mistake. Disregard!

Now that I understand the OP, I'd suggest living in downtown St. Paul and nowhere else. Great downtown area that has a little bit of east coast feel to it. Again, you'd be commuting against traffic.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM

96 posts, read 131,863 times
I suggest Woodbury or Eagan

Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I'll second the downtown St. Paul suggestion; lots of nice places there, just get a place that comes with parking, so you won't have to deal with snow emergencies. Some of the options near Grand Avenue will also be very nice. It's not bustling "urban," but upscale and with decent restaurant options and stores within walking distance. Grand stretches a long way, so it's not one compact specific neighborhood. If she likes cities then she won't be happy somewhere like Woodbury. The areas in and around downtown St. Paul (Cathedral Hill, etc.) are very nice with some beautiful housing options.

If you did mean the Minnetonka side, then I would agree that 50th and France seems like a great fit.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I was talking about the Woodbury side. I actually was moving into the twin city area bout 6 years ago but my job was cut and I stayed in Missouri. I was actually looking at a house in Woodbury then but I think on this next go round I will want to be near a walking community. I'll look up the St. Paul Downtown area. thanks.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Just fair warning, plan to spend double what you have into your house in Missouri here. Missouri is dirt cheep for housing compared to the Twin Cities.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Yup I figured that out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul