U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Milwaukee to the Twin Cities area and are considering a home in Victoria. My daughter will be living with us for a couple years while she completes her DNP degree at the U. She will need to commute to Children's Hospital in Minneapolis for work. She works the hours of 7:00pm to 7:30 am. Does anyone know how long of a commute this might be for her? My husband and I are retiring so no commute worries for us. Is the Victoria area a nice place to live for those in their mid 50's?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 5,993,496 times
Victoria should be good for you if you want to be in a small town at the edge of suburbs and rural areas. There is a nice big nature center/park reserve that borders Victoria. My wife and I walk the trails and picnic there sometimes in the summer.

Three Rivers Park District : Carver Park Reserve

The commute for your daughter will probably be in the 30-45 minute range. She will be going in the opposite direction of most of the traffic at those hours.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM

37 posts, read 78,059 times
I don't disagree with moving123456, but I would emphasize that the commute will be in the 30-45 minute range on days when the weather is nearly perfect and there are no delays due to accidents or road construction. I work downtown and this time of year my co-workers who live out near Victoria are regularly frazzled because a significant snowfall can make their commutes 2-3 hours long -- each way. This is especially hard for parents of young kids, who are trying to pick up their little ones from day care.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,754,496 times
Seeing that she won't be traveling at rush hour (her way home will be opposite of traffic) she will have a half hour give or take for a commute. If she is living at home for free, does it really matter what the commute is .

Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 AM

5,991 posts, read 9,529,121 times
I honestly don't know why Victoria doesn't have like 50,000 people -- it's an awesome combination of small town feel, right on the lake, and near a large highway. I haven't been there myself as I've never had a compelling reason to go that far out but if you like living in the suburbs/exurbs that would seem like an ideal location.

Commuting in that area is pretty rough though because all of the highways are funneled into the I-494/Hwy 62 area and traffic is pretty nasty. I think the 30-45 minute estimate is a fair estimate for slower times of the workday, but my guess is that during rush hour (especially from May through Dec) a commute like that could easily take 1 hour or longer BOTH directions (especially on I-494). I just saw the working hours -- 30-45 minutes is a reasonable estimate, and you wouldn't need MNPass. But if her schedule ever changes to the daytime that would change everything! Get an MNPass for sure if you plan on taking I-35W twice a day -- it'll cut your commute time drastically on that portion of the route.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,480,845 times
Your description of Victoria reminds me of my impression of Chanhassen, circa 1978. It used to be a lovely little town; then the city fathers got hooked on developer cash, and it's becoming more and more like any other ugly strip malled, industrial suburb. Congrats to their short sightedness, Chanhassen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul