Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,159,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
We're not talking huge distances here -- Fridley to NE Minneapolis is not very far. It's rather pointless for people to obsess over city/suburb boundaries; what difference does that make? (and four miles is a LONG way to go for something as basic as groceries!!) Besides, you live in Rosemount, which is a long, long, way from Fridley, so unless you are suggesting that the OP make that commute, then the amenities in your neighborhood aren't relevant to this particular poster.

I don't think people here are trying to suggest that ALL suburbs or ALL city neighborhoods are one way or the other, but in this particular case -- Fridley is not the "happening" place for 20-something single professionals, and parts of NE Minneapolis are. I wouldn't recommend many city neighborhoods for the same reasons; they may be perfectly nice places to live, especially if you're looking to buy a house or have kids, but they'd be boring for the average 20-something single professional who wants convenience to downtown. If she was 35, had a kid, and was looking for an affordable house and a very short commute above all else, then perhaps Fridley could be a great fit. Again, nothing wrong with Fridley itself -- it's just that in this specific context and request I'd have a hard time believing that Fridley would be a good fit for this poster. Just like if someone wants a 3-car attached garage and a 1/2 acre lot with new construction, most of us wouldn't recommend living in the city.
Do you READ other responses??? Yes, every time someone wants to live in the suburbs, you and other posters ALWAYS suggest various neighborhoods in the city. Again, it is just comical how living in the city and commuting to the suburbs is ok with the city dwellers but commuting from the suburbs to the city is next to evil

Where you live is what you make of it. There are plenty of younger people and things to do all over the suburbs-Minneapolis does not have the lock on entertainment around the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,666,667 times
Of course Minneapolis doesn't have the "lock" on entertainment, but I'd strongly suggest that the OP check out the local "scene" in Fridley before she makes that decision. Granted, my opinion might be a bit biased as most of my time at the local restaurants/bars and visits in general were with a former roommate who grew up there, but my impression is that many of the younger single people living there are doing so because they live with their parents, grew up there, and are hanging out with their friends from high school. It's just not a young single type of place, which may or may not be fine for a young single woman relocating from out of town. Given all the complaints on this forum about troubles finding friends, I'd stick with an area that is a bit more filled with fellow newcomers and people my age, just to make things simple and move to a neighborhood where there's a broader range of people, and where it's potentially easier to make friends. As far as I know, those neighborhoods do not exist in Fridley. Fridley is more of a family-oriented place where people go to buy affordable houses. I kind of like Fridley in its way -- it strikes me as an old-fashioned, blue-collar kind of suburb, which I much prefer over pretentious places like, say, Orono, but I think it would potentially a poor fit for a younger single new arrival in the Twin Cities.

Who said that commuting from the suburbs is "next to evil?" Obviously most people want to cut down on their commute, but Minneapolis to Fridley is not a long commute. If she said she preferred suburbia then Fridley could work just fine, but given that proximity to downtown was a plus, for this specific poster I'd start by checking out the areas closer to downtown.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 01-02-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,774,592 times
If I were 20 and looking for a place - I would first determine what my work schedule would look like and the demands. If I had a good amount of free/me time in the first year I would live in DTN Minneapolis or SPaul. You get to live in the city - really in the city at this age - take full advantage of all it offers. Immerse yourself in the city and its lifestyle and then you can decide where next.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM

455 posts, read 1,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Of course Minneapolis doesn't have the "lock" on entertainment, but I'd strongly suggest that the OP check out the local "scene" in Fridley before she makes that decision. Granted, my opinion might be a bit biased as most of my time at the local restaurants/bars and visits in general were with a former roommate who grew up there, but my impression is that many of the younger single people living there are doing so because they live with their parents, grew up there, and are hanging out with their friends from high school. It's just not a young single type of place, which may or may not be fine for a young single woman relocating from out of town. Given all the complaints on this forum about troubles finding friends, I'd stick with an area that is a bit more filled with fellow newcomers and people my age, just to make things simple and move to a neighborhood where there's a broader range of people, and where it's potentially easier to make friends. As far as I know, those neighborhoods do not exist in Fridley. Fridley is more of a family-oriented place where people go to buy affordable houses. I kind of like Fridley in its way -- it strikes me as an old-fashioned, blue-collar kind of suburb, which I much prefer over pretentious places like, say, Orono, but I think it would potentially a poor fit for a younger single new arrival in the Twin Cities.

Who said that commuting from the suburbs is "next to evil?" Obviously most people want to cut down on their commute, but Minneapolis to Fridley is not a long commute. If she said she preferred suburbia then Fridley could work just fine, but given that proximity to downtown was a plus, for this specific poster I'd start by checking out the areas closer to downtown.

I vote for you to be the FT moderator on this forum because you are always very well clued in on what it is that you are talking about.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 PM

333 posts, read 703,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, it is just comical how living in the city and commuting to the suburbs is ok with the city dwellers but commuting from the suburbs to the city is next to evil
If you let the gears grind on the idea for a moment, it's not terribly difficult to figure out why commuting against traffic sucks far less than commuting with it. It's not good or bad, or right or wrong. It is simply a matter of what is important to you in where you live versus where you work, and a matter of how much of your time you are willing to dedicate to commuting. For some people, a longer commute is absolutely worth it. Other people feel they have better things to do than sit in a car for 90 minutes each day. To each their own.

I generally tend to agree with other posters in this thread regarding Nordeast being a better place to live, and that it would make for a quick commute in any event. For someone else working in Fridley, they might be better suited to Ham Lake or Rogers.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post

I generally tend to agree with other posters in this thread regarding Nordeast being a better place to live, and that it would make for a quick commute in any event. For someone else working in Fridley, they might be better suited to Ham Lake or Rogers.
Perhaps - if they were in their 30's or 40's or had a family or friends here, but someone new to the area in their 20's? I would never recommend - I also come from Miami so I suppose that shapes my perspective. If you are from a less populated/busy area - I suppose all of these are viable options. Perhaps that's what is my motivating factor - the thought of being anywhere outside of the city is depressing - even if 30 minutes. Truly - absent Minneapolis/St Paul - I dont think I could live in MN - at least at this point in my life.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,376,025 times
I'm the exact opposite of you. The thought of being IN the city or suburbs is depressing to me. I'm a country boy.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM

333 posts, read 703,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Perhaps - if they were in their 30's or 40's or had a family or friends here, but someone new to the area in their 20's? I would never recommend - I also come from Miami so I suppose that shapes my perspective. If you are from a less populated/busy area - I suppose all of these are viable options. Perhaps that's what is my motivating factor - the thought of being anywhere outside of the city is depressing - even if 30 minutes. Truly - absent Minneapolis/St Paul - I dont think I could live in MN - at least at this point in my life.
Never recommend what, exactly? I seconded the recommendations that the OP consider living Northeast instead of Fridley due to their age. No idea what you're talking about here or what it has to do with the post you quoted.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,527,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Do you READ other responses??? Yes, every time someone wants to live in the suburbs, you and other posters ALWAYS suggest various neighborhoods in the city. Again, it is just comical how living in the city and commuting to the suburbs is ok with the city dwellers but commuting from the suburbs to the city is next to evil

Where you live is what you make of it. There are plenty of younger people and things to do all over the suburbs-Minneapolis does not have the lock on entertainment around the metro area.
The OP didn't say she wanted to live in the burbs, she said she wanted "convenient" and close to downtown. This, plus being in her 20s and working in Fridley, NE Mpls seems a natural fit for her. I haven't seen any posts indicating that the suburbs are "evil", just a lot of posts from those who live in the city who share their enthusiasm with those looking for recommendations on where to live around here.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
Never recommend what, exactly? I seconded the recommendations that the OP consider living Northeast instead of Fridley due to their age. No idea what you're talking about here or what it has to do with the post you quoted.
Clarification: I would never recommend living anywhere but in the downtown/city center areas of either Minneapolis or St. Paul for any single (or couple) in their 20's who is relocating and doesn't have a strong family and community ties. The only exception would be someone from so small a town or community that the NE or Fridley (not to mention Ham Lake and Rogers) would seem like an active downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul