Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,087 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and I know you have all been asked similar questions. I am moving to Minneapolis in a couple of weeks and need some help with where to live. I will be working downtown but it seems like I'd have to pay about $1500 for an apartment. I am really wanting to stay $1000 or under. So, I've started looking a little outside in areas such as Plymouth, St. Louis Park, and Minnetonka. Are these good areas? Is the transit system okay for commuting from these areas? Any other area I should be looking at?Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be visiting the area next week in order to sign a lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 06:19 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,170 times
Those areas are o.k. if you like suburbs. IF you wanna live in the city, check out uptown, that is where I live, rents are reasonable, mine is $900 for a two bedroom and there are a lot of things to do, you can walk or ride your bike just about anywhere including downtown very easily. Check out craigslist, that is how I found my apartment, and I was in the same boat as you, I was moving here from out of state in a couple of weeks so I just started searching and it worked out fine. Good Luck.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 124,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Those areas are o.k. if you like suburbs. IF you wanna live in the city, check out uptown, that is where I live, rents are reasonable, mine is $900 for a two bedroom and there are a lot of things to do, you can walk or ride your bike just about anywhere including downtown very easily. Check out craigslist, that is how I found my apartment, and I was in the same boat as you, I was moving here from out of state in a couple of weeks so I just started searching and it worked out fine. Good Luck.
I agree with this statement 100%. If you are looking for a suburban apartment than these are good options; however, if you aren't averse to city life you can get some good deals in Minneapolis or Saint Paul. I live in Highland Park right now and my 2 bed 1 bath apartment runs $725. It is not the fanciest place out there, but it certainly gets the job done and is really convenient to both downtowns. The only problem with some of the "deals" in my neighborhood is that the apartments or duplexs don't advertise so the only way to know if they are renting is to drive around, which in your situation is not the best.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,074 times
Of the 3 suburbs you mentioned; I'd suggest you look in St. Louis Park for safety, convenience, bus system, and decent rents. The farther out in the suburbs you go, the worse the mass transit.

Otherwise, the 2 previous posters have good ideas too.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Mtka. and Plymouth get lousy service. Nice, but not MetTransit friendly. Saint Lousi Park is a lovely mix of city and suburb and transportation along main corridors is pretty good. However, I get the feeling you would prefer the city and public transportation. Stop here if I am wrong. There are plenty of options in that price range and if that is what you had your heart set on, don't force yourself into the suburbs. One is not substantially cheaper than the other. Anyways, I wish you the best on your move and sincerely hope you enjoy your initial visit to the city.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Some nice apts over here in Highland Park, St. Paul that rent for way under $1k. Getting to downtown Mpls is a snap. Frequent service on the 134 bus, gets you downtown in 15-20 minutes. Or, take the 74, 84, 23 or 46 buses to the light rail for a 15 minute train ride to downtown Mpls.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
$1500/month for an apartment? What apartments have you been looking at? Unless you're settling for nothing less than a 4 bed 2 bath apt you should be able to find plenty of places for under 1k/month in Minneapolis proper.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,087 times
Thanks for all the help you guys. I ended up getting a place in the Bryn Mawr area and am looking forward to the move! Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Thanks for the follow up, Bryn Mawr is a wonderful area, and quick to downtown. A personal favorite of mine. Hope you enjoy the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul