Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,219,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyHolmesMaven View Post
Wow, I'm surprised that no one has championed the neighborhoods on the east side of the river more: Marcy-Holmes and the various Northeast neighborhoods. Seward is great, we like it a lot, but I do think of it as more "hippy" (in the best possible way, e.g., Birchwood Cafe) and Northeast (and Marcy) as more "hipster," what with Art-a-Whirl, no end of cool restaurants (Anchor Fish & Chips, Northeast Social Club, Modern Cafe, Psycho Suzi's, etc.) , art galleries, live music, etc. We originally ended up in Marcy when I was attending the U, and it was great because I could walk every day or hop on a short bus in cold weather. There are a lot of students around, but hey, you're students, and on the west side of 35W, we're not so dominated by students as on the east side (Dinkytown & Como). We've ended up staying in our house for 19 years and raising two kids there, besides. We're never moving. Good luck with your search!
I lived in Marcy Holmes for a while. It's a good place, it's got some bike lanes on University Avenue and 4th Street. I lived really close to Northeast, around Central Avenue and University Avenue, and it's getting a little trendy over there, perhaps trendier than you are looking for, but the bulk of Marcy-Holmes is a cool older neighborhood, with a ton of students, but a lot of people who aren't students as well. I lived in an apartment building specifically advertising to college kids....yet probably near 1/2 of the tenants were not students. Just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times
I love Marcy-Holmes, too, and lived there for a couple of years; the only reason I didn't mention it earlier was because it's not as quiet as some neighborhoods, but it's not necessarily loud, either. I LOVE the neighborhood, and think it's well worth a look. The other parts of NE would be both close to the U (by bike) and a bit quieter, so they, too, might be good. I don't know how they were overlooked earlier! They do seem like potentially a natural fit.

Lowry Hill East, aka "the Wedge" is generally considered part of Uptown. (not to start the debate on Uptown's boundaries! If you want that area, though, probably on the south side of Lake would be quieter.)

Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM

37 posts, read 66,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacobox View Post
thanks for the input, everyone. i'm sure i'll find some things in common with my fellow students, but usually have some issues in that i'm not really engineer-y. i've been reading on mplsbikelove and hopefully can meet up with some of those people as well.

@famousblueraincoat - i live in newbold near the SPTR. i guess it's more of a small section of point breeze
if ur not engineery, why r u doing this phd in civil engineering--may I ask?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,914 times
@senij1 i just meant that i like to think i'm not socially awkward, i like food and arts, am relatively liberal, am extremely open-minded, and people are usually surprised when i tell them i'm an engineer.

i really enjoy it, just seem to not have the typical personality associated with it. that's all. not that my personality is "better" or anything. it just tends to not fit the mold. there were a few students i got along with really well in grad and undergrad, but the majority were very different from me and just not the type of people i'd normally hang out with.

obviously i wouldn't be trying my hardest to make this happen if i didn't love it. i think my personality fits "professor" better than any other job i can imagine.

getting excited just thinking about the future.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM

37 posts, read 66,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacobox View Post
@senij1 i just meant that i like to think i'm not socially awkward, i like food and arts, am relatively liberal, am extremely open-minded, and people are usually surprised when i tell them i'm an engineer.

i really enjoy it, just seem to not have the typical personality associated with it. that's all. not that my personality is "better" or anything. it just tends to not fit the mold. there were a few students i got along with really well in grad and undergrad, but the majority were very different from me and just not the type of people i'd normally hang out with.

obviously i wouldn't be trying my hardest to make this happen if i didn't love it. i think my personality fits "professor" better than any other job i can imagine.

getting excited just thinking about the future.
I gotcha...I was math major, and in many ways was that way. Good luck, u'll do great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul