Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 10,462 times

Advertisements

i did consider living above the global market, but i've heard fighting traffic in the evenings in the absolute worst. Some have been steering me west of 35 or if i'm looking at powderhorn to go towards nokomis / lake hiawatha direction.
I don't need to have street cred, but i don't want to live where my old clunker is out of place either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,215,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
You scored a job at General Mills, therefore why would you want to live in rougher neighborhoods. Hmm? Sure the Global Market is a really cool place, but not sure about living in the Phillips neighborhood. Anyway, there are many areas in Minneapolis that could fit your needs. Maybe even closer to Uptown and then you can easily go over to the Global Market. Hey, they have condos above the Global Market. Ever consider that?
I think those condos tend to be overpriced. But I don't know. I imagine they're nice. I also don't really get these mixed income buildings...but that's another argument. But half of the block I lived on was condos, about 5 blocks away from the Global Market in Powderhorn. They exist in the neighborhood if that's what OP is interested in even outside of the Midtown Exchange. Personally, I'm skeptical of the whole condo scene, but...that's another argument as well.

Basically, you may very well find what you're looking for outside of Powderhorn. But I do think that if you've lived in Philly and Chicago, you're probably like me, and will find some of the notions of rough neighborhoods in Minneapolis sort of quaint. I have no street cred, and probably had more street cred than 99% of the people I saw. Unless you give Mexican families automatic street cred just for being Mexican and walking to the Mexican grocery store or restaurants...

Old 01-14-2011, 07:43 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,643,189 times
As always - if you like city life, you'll prefer living in the city. Don't go in with false hopes - the neighborhoods you have been looking at aren't disney mockups of ideal urban life, they are the real thing, with good folks and bad apples all around you. But there's nothing here remotely as scary or depressing as south side of Chicago.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,644,700 times
There's no reason to be scared off from living in or around the midtown market; that's a perfectly fine neighborhood, one that DOES have crime and certainly isn't perfect, but a lot of people actively choose to live there even though they could afford to live elsewhere, and as others have noted, if you're fine with living in slightly more "gritty" neighborhoods elsewhere, then you will be fine there. "Rougher" is all relative here. They're rougher in the grand sense of Minneapolis, but they're also not so rough that no one chooses to live there if they can help it.

I prefer west of 35 because I think Whittier has more going on, but don't head towards Whittier or parts of Lyndale thinking that just because you cross over that the crime rates are going to drop. If you do want to head west, your old clunker will not be out of place, though. I also very much do like the Nokomis neighborhoods, just think that they're even quieter. For many people that's a real plus; they are very pleasant and nice, just perhaps not as urban as you're looking for. Luckily all these areas are relatively close to one another, so you can do a grand tour pretty quickly and see if one area stands out to you more than others as feeling like "home."

Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,138,269 times
I want to say there were a handful of homicides around Global Market on E. Lake St. last year, so it's not exactly crime free either.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Really homicide is the crime that people should be least afraid of, though.People aren't out shooting random people. Stuff like burglary and car theft are better things to go by - of course those things happen in Powderhorn too. I know my landlord specifically had security cameras on her buildings pointed at where peoples cars were parked, to prove some kind of point I guess to would be thieves. I didn't own a car, but really second to seeing the occasional prostitute being picked up, car break ins are probably the next biggest concern in the neighborhood. Burglary might be slightly more than in other neighborhoods too, but not by that much. I specifically never had an apartment on the first floor, which made me feel safer in that regard - but I don't know if there's anything scientific about that.

I recall one shooting in Powderhorn that happened overnight, around Bloomington and 31st, last year - but I moved away in the middle of the summer and was obviously not paying attention after that...and I could also be forgetting something. I recall there was also a homicide on Lake Calhoun...just to show that it doesn't mean much. Obviously Lake Calhoun very safe area, despite the one murder - or even if there were 10 murders and the crime rate stayed the same in all other areas I'd still consider it very safe.

There might have been a couple West of 35, or right around 35 too, which is the Central Neighborhood, and frankly strikes me as the least desirable of the Powderhorn Community, although we already touched on how that Community label doesn't really mean anything. There are hundreds of murders a year in Philadelphia, and I'd still be curious about someone who was afraid of being murdered here. They don't really even talk about murders on the news unless it's something particularly interesting , like a supposed serial killer about right now. Mostly it just causes unwarranted fear. At least with this serial killer guy, they get the word out that if he exists he seems to be targeting prostitutes, and there's at least a little bit of a public service that comes out of it, which is that prostitutes can be on guard or whatever. Most of the news reports about murder in Minneapolis are really just a lot of hype and excitement, the same way they report fires and car accidents. Reporters like Tom Lyden (sp?) at the "scene of the crime" a good 24 hours later acting like it means something, being all up in a huff, video of a hospital, crying family members. Good TV.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 10,462 times
a quick thanks to all of you who have helped me become a more "informed" soon to be resident. i think i'll be able to make a good decision once i arrive and have a look around each of the areas. perhaps i'll have an open invite once i get settled so i can meet the people behind the postings

Old 01-14-2011, 12:28 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,138,269 times
homicides don't help resale value, I hear

Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
homicides don't help resale value, I hear
Ha, no I suppose they don't. I've never owned a house and don't really plan to ever own a house, so I tend to not think in those terms.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,644,700 times
No, Powderhorn or the area around the Midtown market isn't some sort of crime-free utopia. It has more crime than many neighborhoods in the Twin Cities. I haven't spent time in Logan Square yet, but it's my impression that modern Logan Square in Chicago is also sort of like that -- some gang problems, some crime, but still a decent place to live if you know what you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul