U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM

34 posts, read 95,367 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Minneapolis this summer. We don't know where we should move to. Our budget is $1200 max. and at least 1 person will be going to UMN East Bank. My brother might go to Macalester if he doesn't get in at UMN. We're looking for a relatively safe and affordable neighborhood that has easy bus access to the U. It seems like a lot of places offer small 2 bedrooms, but we are looking for a place that has at least 1000 sq. feet. Please give suggestions. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Can anyone help?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 AM

267 posts, read 503,980 times
Are you looking for an apartment or house rental? Is there anything else that you are looking for in regards to location or the property? When you say family how many people is that and are there other considerations like work locations?

If going to the U of MN I've always liked stuff along Como between the U of MN Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses but there are lots of transit options from other locations too. Certainly Uptown is a trendy spot for 20 somethings but it's probably more expensive.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 AM

10,629 posts, read 24,941,235 times
All depends on budget, preference for type of neighborhood or house/apartment, etc. If you can give more details you'll get better responses. I like the area along Como, too; otherwise I've always been partial to Marcy-Holmes on the west side of 35W.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,166,324 times
Como, Marcy, Prospect Park if you get lucky, are where I'd also point you to. If you're looking at a SE address in Minneapolis (55414), you'll probably be in decent shape, as there are no "dangerous" neighborhoods there. You should probably map it out and cross reference it to transit maps and schedules at metrotransit.org , because there's one line serving SE (I think it's the 2) that's not very efficient. Also, absolutely do not agree to rent sight unseen in SE. While there are many fine rentals, there are also many dated, worn out "undergrad slums" that need a bit more than a coat of paint.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:28 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,389,836 times
If you're considering Macalester College, look along Grand Avenue, also Macalester/Groveland, Summit Ave or Highland Park.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Como, Marcy, Prospect Park if you get lucky, are where I'd also point you to. If you're looking at a SE address in Minneapolis (55414), you'll probably be in decent shape, as there are no "dangerous" neighborhoods there. You should probably map it out and cross reference it to transit maps and schedules at metrotransit.org , because there's one line serving SE (I think it's the 2) that's not very efficient. Also, absolutely do not agree to rent sight unseen in SE. While there are many fine rentals, there are also many dated, worn out "undergrad slums" that need a bit more than a coat of paint.
There are several good buses serving SE. In Marcy Holmes, there is the 2 which then goes to South Minneapolis, the 6 which then goes downtown, uptown, Southwest, and the 4, which runs down 8th street which goes Northeast as well as Downtown, around Uptown, and Southwest. The 2 and 6 are the ones that serve campus. They are pretty dependable and run often as far as Metro Transit standards go. I used them all the time while going to the U and living in Marcy-Holmes. Along the western border of Marcy-Holmes, Central Avenue, runs the route 10, which runs quite often and goes downtown and Northeast. And the 17, which runs less often, but also goes NE and Downtown. A couple blocks away are two buses that run less often, the 11 which serves NE and South MPLS, and the 61, which heads over to downtown Saint Paul. But depending on where you live in Marcy Holmes, the 2 or the 6 will probably be within walking distance. And if you're like me and lived on the western end of Marcy Holmes, they'll all be within walking distance for easy trips to campus, south, downtown, uptown, northeast....easy living without a car.

In Como, there is the 3, which runs very often. It runs through Campus, as well as to Downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul.

And in Prospect Park, depending on where you are, you could be within walking distance to the 16, probably the best running bus in the Twin Cities, which will soon be replaced with a light rail. It goes through campus, as well as both downtowns. It also has a limited stop counterpart, the 50.

If you're going to rent near campus, the above quote is correct in that you should take a look at the place first. Plenty of places either take advantage of students, or assume the students won't take care of the apartment so they don't take care of it themselves. There are also plenty of nice places. The building I lived in was decent.

Last edited by FamousBlueRaincoat; 01-19-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 AM

Family: me (grad student), my brother (college kid), sister (college grad) and mom. She takes care of children for a living. We want to live in a suburb area if it is affordable. We would like to spend less than $1200 if possible and I don't want to take the bus to UMN for more than 25 minutes. It seemed like Uptown gets noisy at times and we're looking for a quiet area. We don't mind apartments or houses, but a lot of the houses I've seen don't offer paid heat.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 AM

9,469 posts, read 14,459,698 times
I don't think you're going to find a whole lot that falls under those requirements. I see a 4 bedroom house for rent in Columbia Heights for $995/month on craigslist.org but other than I'm not seeing anything that'd be close to what you're looking for. The problem with going out into the suburbs is that bus access gets very thin very fast. It'd be tough to find a suburban environment with bus access to the U in 25 minutes in your price range unless you plan on bunking up in a 1-2 br apt.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 AM

I see. I've heard St. Anthony takes around 20 min. on an express bus. Is this a safe area? What about around UofM St. Paul campus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul