Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Three times in two years? That's 104 weeks, and if you're walking by there twice a week, that's 208 trips, 416 passes by there, if each trip includes a pass by as you walk to your destination and one as you walk back from your destination.

Earlier you said that you someone asking for a handout every other time you walk by. Obviously you wouldn't be walking by there every single week so the percentage rises above the less than one percent from my calculations, but still, three times in two years isn't even vaguely like "every other time".
Please note the key word "seems." Even times I don't get formally asked for change my observations of the people who hang out outside that place smoking their cigarettes just cries out poverty. I don't know if I would go there to try and find a homeless person either but honestly besides the intersections where panhandlers can be commonly found that'd probably be the next place I'd go to ask. Sorry to diss your precious hangout spot, yeesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Vikings training camp.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Please note the key word "seems." Even times I don't get formally asked for change my observations of the people who hang out outside that place smoking their cigarettes just cries out poverty. I don't know if I would go there to try and find a homeless person either but honestly besides the intersections where panhandlers can be commonly found that'd probably be the next place I'd go to ask. Sorry to diss your precious hangout spot, yeesh.
If you walked by enough, you probably saw me out there smoking cigarettes, looking homeless. Even sitting inside of my home typing this right now, I might be hard pressed to convinced someone that I'm indeed not homeless.

Lots of the people you saw outside smoking might have even been people who worked there...they all seemed to smoke, and looked pretty homeless themselves.

The funniest thing about Hard Times was watching preppy college kids come in, wondering what dark nether world they had stumbled into.

It's a shame there aren't more places like it in Minneapolis.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM

256 posts, read 585,927 times
I'm not sure how something that happens very rarely can "seem" to happen every other time. I'm not even sure what it would mean to be informally asked for change. People smoking is just people smoking.

It's not my favorite hangout, although I do like the food there.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I'm not sure how something that happens very rarely can "seem" to happen every other time. I'm not even sure what it would mean to be informally asked for change. People smoking is just people smoking.

It's not my favorite hangout, although I do like the food there.
To be fair to Slig - and I've been lurking on this forum for well over a year before I started posting, so I know that he's a rational person - many of the people who go to Hard Times are either down on their luck or dress like they are down on their luck. I personally look like I'm down on my luck, because I found out you could amass an amazing amount of money by not buying stuff, and do stuff like I do now, which is voluntarily not having worked for several months. I didn't know how bad other people saw me as until, after moving to Philly and hanging out in the Center City parks for hours a day, the homeless people started talking to me like I was one of them. Lucky for me I'm already married, I guess. I knew I wasn't dressing to impress or anything, most of my clothing is 5-10 years old and gets worn once a week...but I didn't think the homeless people would even mistake me for one of their own. Lots of the people at Hard Times seem pretty similar, with a few punks and people who are trying way too hard to look like gutter people there too.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Vikings training camp.
homeless not harmless

Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM

256 posts, read 585,927 times
Homeless people usually don't look like people expect them to look like. The punks probably aren't homeless.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,085 times
Reminds me of a few years ago in Maryland. I was standing at one of those middle-of-the-intersection islands, trying to get across. Up pulls a car, and the driver tries to hand me $5.00 .

I declined, but thanks for the consideration... who knows, maybe I needed a shave.

Last edited by audadvnc; 01-25-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The funniest thing about Hard Times was watching preppy college kids come in, wondering what dark nether world they had stumbled into.
Haha, that was definitely me once. Hey, give me credit. At least I gave the place a chance right?

Just as a note, my initial comment about the Hard Times Cafe was half-joking. If I was looking for a homeless person in the 20-35 year range I'd seriously ask around there though.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM

12 posts, read 30,339 times
Default Thank You

I appreciate all of your replies - there is some awesome info that I can try to find him. I did call a few shelters and left my info for him. I am still planning on coming to Mpls in Feb. and am hopeful that I will be able to find him. I know that he was using drugs and am pretty sure that if he is homeless he probably is still using. Bummer that such a good person gets on that crap. Thanks again for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul