Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times

Advertisements

I want Minnesota and Winnipeg in the SAME DIVISION! Time we get a rivalry going with them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm sure there are some bitter locals, but being the only NHL team to have average attendance below 80% for the last 3 seasons just isn't going to cut it. Also, I don't think you're going to find too many diehard NHL fans outside of Atlanta who aren't completely in favor of this move. From a utilitarian standpoint this is the right move.
I hear you (and understand), but I will back rcsteiner up here a little bit...

Hypothetically speaking (because I know the Thrashers have been terrible), what could be better for hockey than Atlanta building a successful NHL franchise? Do you really want hockey to be a regional sport forever? Obviously the Thrashers didn't really do the trick, but it's too simple to just say that people in Atlanta can never be hockey fans. There are other factors (management, on-ice play, etc.) that are very important if a young franchise is going to "make it." Other Southern franchises have "made it"--e.g., Nashville. Wouldn't the NHL actually be better if we could create hockey fans throughout the country and not just in Minnesota, Boston, and Canada?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post

Hypothetically speaking (because I know the Thrashers have been terrible), what could be better for hockey than Atlanta building a successful NHL franchise? Do you really want hockey to be a regional sport forever? Obviously the Thrashers didn't really do the trick, but it's too simple to just say that people in Atlanta can never be hockey fans. There are other factors (management, on-ice play, etc.) that are very important if a young franchise is going to "make it." Other Southern franchises have "made it"--e.g., Nashville. Wouldn't the NHL actually be better if we could create hockey fans throughout the country and not just in Minnesota, Boston, and Canada?
If the sport gains popularity expansion is the obvious answer. However, I'm talking about bringing hockey back to the places where it is cherished. The NHL needs to go back to its roots and this is a great start. I don't think you understand how nuts the people in Canada are about their hockey.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
The poor TV ratings is all you need to know about the popularity of hockey.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post

The Gwinnett Gladiators seem to draw a crowd, but they're more fun to watch than the Trashers were.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The poor TV ratings is all you need to know about the popularity of hockey.
Popularity != quality.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
It helps that you can easily play hockey here and in Canada though, and I think that accessibility allows average Joe's like me to be able to TRY to play hockey, whereas the average Joe in Atlanta will probably never have the chance unless he/she makes a very concerted effort to do so. Think about it, some of the most devoted fans of any sport once played the game -- that makes a huge difference IMO.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Ok, so why did the Jets leave in the first place? It had nothing to do with the fans, but I just hope the Winnipeg fans realize that it's the NHL of the 2010s not the 1990s. It's much different. You're not going to be able to put a competative team on the ice and pay $15 a ticket for front row. They're going to have to realize they'll fork over big money and whether the team is successful or not, it's the butts in the seats that ultimately decide a franchises' fate. Plus currency exchange rates are much better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul