Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 PM

127 posts, read 191,636 times

Advertisements

The South definitely has better football, but Larry Fitzgerald, Marion Barber, and Matt Birk are nothing to sneeze at. Just because the Gophers program is in the dumps doesn't mean there's not talent coming out of the state.

With that said, the answer is an emphatic no to the OP if we're talking about a second NHL team. I think it's a shame that traditional hockey mad (if smaller) markets in Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford are with out in favor of Orange County, Phoenix, and Atlanta. With that said, I think having one team in Atlanta, Phoenix, Raleigh, Nashville does a LOT more good for the NHL than cramming a second team in to MSP or even GTA.

There are sunbelt markets that have been a success. San Jose, Denver, Dallas, (I think Tampa) have drawn well. Granted, these markets haven't been tested with years of losing. But if you're the NHL, I'm sure you would like to see what a championship run might bring to Atlanta or Phoenix before pulling the plug.

What's the upside to a second team in a market with well established allegiances? Why does the NHL need to have an answer to the LA Clippers? It won't happen, but I would rather see teams in Saskatoon and Halifax.

If anything, I would rather have an AHL team and be able to check out some of the Wild's prospects (not that we've assembled many). An MLS team would be better yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 PM

455 posts, read 635,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
The South definitely has better football, but Larry Fitzgerald, Marion Barber, and Matt Birk are nothing to sneeze at. Just because the Gophers program is in the dumps doesn't mean there's not talent coming out of the state.

With that said, the answer is an emphatic no to the OP if we're talking about a second NHL team. I think it's a shame that traditional hockey mad (if smaller) markets in Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford are with out in favor of Orange County, Phoenix, and Atlanta. With that said, I think having one team in Atlanta, Phoenix, Raleigh, Nashville does a LOT more good for the NHL than cramming a second team in to MSP or even GTA.

There are sunbelt markets that have been a success. San Jose, Denver, Dallas, (I think Tampa) have drawn well. Granted, these markets haven't been tested with years of losing. But if you're the NHL, I'm sure you would like to see what a championship run might bring to Atlanta or Phoenix before pulling the plug.

What's the upside to a second team in a market with well established allegiances? Why does the NHL need to have an answer to the LA Clippers? It won't happen, but I would rather see teams in Saskatoon and Halifax.

If anything, I would rather have an AHL team and be able to check out some of the Wild's prospects (not that we've assembled many). An MLS team would be better yet.
Good post.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,131,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
+1 exactly.

Just like MLS and 'soccer' has struggled in the 'States'. It's just not played here from an early age. How can a million people in a European city go nuts over a football game and MLS continues to be a B-Grade Professional sport, a few notches under NASCAR and a few above Bowling.

That's what the Sun Belt is doing to Hockey. Taking away the NHL's credibility.
I think you are wrong about soccer-soccer is the most "played" sport for young kids these days, over 17 million kids play soccer around the country:

Youth sports drawing more than ever - CNN

Travel to any soccer complex during soccer season and see the swarms of kids. When our oldest was in kindergarten, the soccer program in our old town had over 1500 kids in a town of 15,000 people.

I don't know what professional soccer hasn't taken off in the US. I have always been curious about that. There is NOTHING that compares to Europe during World Cup soccer though. Those fans are fanatical. We were in Germany and Austria during the World Cup and entire towns shut down to watch games.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 AM

256 posts, read 584,375 times
Professional soccer is growing in popularity. There is a lot of competition: football rules the fall and winter, basketball rules the winter and spring, baseball rules the spring and summer. But soccer is beginning to rival hockey as a major sport, and I expect within a decade, soccer will be accepted as the fifth major league sport.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,301,940 times
The MLS is growing in popularity, especially with immigrant groups, etc. who brought their passion for the sport from their native land. Currently there isn't enough money in the league to bring in top talents. The best players in the world all end up going to play for European teams because that's where the money is. There may come a day when the MLS is accepted as the fifth major league sport but it's currently a long way off in my opinion. This is especially evident when you compare team values and revenues between the MLS and the other pro sports.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 13,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I think that has more to do with the recent recession than anything else. Not to mention the Wild are perennial losers.
Counting OTLs as Ls, the Wild are over .500 in the 5+ seasons since the lockout. They're over .500 this season. They're only 'perennial losers' if 'perennial' means 'two consecutive seasons'.

The Wild have a far better all-time record than the three other teams that came into the league in the same round of expansion (Atlanta, Columbus and Nashville) and they're the only one of those teams that has ever won a playoff series.

Sorry -- the claim that the Wild are perennial losers simply is not true.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,641,032 times
Just because something is growing now, doesn't mean it's not small. Soccer, while yes, I agree is growing at the 'grass-roots' level, aka the youth level, it's still not anywhere near the popularity of youth baseball, basketball or even football here in MN. My high school didn't even have a soccer team until my senior year and i went to a high school with an enrollment of 1000 kids 9-12.

Soccer is a few pegs above lacrosse, growing and gaining momentum, but still a pee-wee in comparison to basketball and baseball

Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,641,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Both the NHL and NBA are declining in popularity all over the country. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves left within the next decade. I suppose there are many reasons. A lack of superstars to enthrall the country like back in the Jordan days. Increased popularity of the NFL over the past 10 years. And just a whole lot of other entertainment options competing for people's attention. When few people had cable, sure, switch on over to the Wolves game. That doesn't happen anymore.

But yeah, what bring hockey fans is living in a place where hockey is played in the schools. Hockey is a huge sport at the high school level, which gets all sorts of people interested in the sport, which can carry over to interest in the professional teams. In southern states where football is king, there is not that same following.
The NBA is dying because of the growth of Basketball internationally. Some alarming statistic: before 2000 there was like 5 Europeans ever drafted, and since there has been over 50. Players who ride the bench in the NBA making league minimum $500,000, could be stars in a Europe leauge and make the same. Ricky Rubio averages 5 pts a game in a B league in Europe and he's a superstar.

That's the trend.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,131,722 times
Quote:
Just because something is growing now, doesn't mean it's not small. Soccer, while yes, I agree is growing at the 'grass-roots' level, aka the youth level, it's still not anywhere near the popularity of youth baseball, basketball or even football here in MN. My high school didn't even have a soccer team until my senior year and i went to a high school with an enrollment of 1000 kids 9-12.

Soccer is a few pegs above lacrosse, growing and gaining momentum, but still a pee-wee in comparison to basketball and baseball
You seem to forget that girls and boys both participate in soccer. 48.4% of all kids in MN play soccer U.S. Soccer Capitalization, Participation, and Development Rates (Benjamin (BJ) Pheasant) - Academia.edu

Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,301,940 times
Quote:
Soccer is a few pegs above lacrosse
If you're talking in terms of US pro-leagues, yeah I guess that's probably accurate. In terms of youth participation in the US, soccer probably outnumbers lacrosse by at least 1000%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul