U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,704 times

Advertisements

I might be headed out there for the fall semester from south carolina. Anyone know anything about the college or ever been a student here? Just trying to get a better feel for the place, is it in a good location of Minneapolis. I believe it is near Loring Park. thanks..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 AM

6 posts, read 52,737 times
I went to MCTC a few years ago. It's very near loring park on Hennepin Ave. and is a good location, but I advise busing or biking rather than parking, because parking could be a lot more expensive. You can get a student discount, but it's still pricey.

Be advised that it gets cold around here, and they don't normally cancel class for anything short of a blizzard. It's really a nice school. If I can answer any other questions I will.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 23,803,375 times
I attended MCTC between 1998 and 2003. Good school to go to for an education but Minnesota has the highest tuition for community college in the country, esp if you are a non-resident student. The school is fairly small, but tons of students attend which can make it a pain in the rear when registering for a class.

It is in a decent location.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:46 PM

157 posts, read 684,793 times
I taught AV writing at their votech about ten years ago. Had no trouble filling up my class. Facilites are great. My supervisor was a great guy who passed away. Votech used to be located in a huge fortress of a building at 10th between 2nd & 3rd Avenues downtown Minneapolis. Great location. Consolidated with Community College probably to get funding the build both together. IMHO they both should have co-located in the old fortress, which is now an office building across from the auditorium. Probably parking issues, too.

As far as a location, it's handy as heck. Out of downtown loop, which is a mental and health hazard to cope with. Also the new votech was only a mile from where I live. If I had any spare time, I'd teach there again. They pay instructors very well.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:52 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,107,209 times
IMO, The "Fortress" should become a MPS High School again for academically apt students. Bring them in from underachieving city schools and suburban schools. They could find more useful office space somewhere else.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:40 PM

157 posts, read 684,793 times
Yes, that's what it was used for as well as the votech. Kind of went together. Can't recall my supervisor's name. Lou (?) He actually either started or expanded the votech. He was very encouraging. So I wound up teaching advertising writing, AV scripting and film writing. Then I had hardly any time for my business; so reluctantly, I had to quit.

However I recall shooting a whole gob of votech filmstrips at the new votech. Heh. Remember filmstrips? I don't know if they're even made any more. It looked like videos took over filmstrips. I did a TON of filmstrips for a publishing company. Nice thing about shooting filmstrips is that it's all 35mm slides. Really simple to shoot. You can do it with one key light if you match the color temperature of the surrounding light. So I'd figure out the right color temp combination of key light and a fillter over my lens. So then I could shoot with the florescents on because the color temp was matched. The slides looked like I'd set up a whole bevy of lights like a movie set. However it was just on 35mm still camera on a tipod, a key hard light and a lens filter. I'd lose one stop. No problem.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:41 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,432,780 times
everyone Ive known who has attended seemed to enjoy it.

both MCTC and Normandale seem to have good reputations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: