Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Now you can settle in and enjoy the summer, which will be here one of these days, really!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post
Well...we are finally all settled in. We are absolutely loving it here. All of us found jobs after only 2 weeks of being here...TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! Since coming from Florida where the unemployment rate is about 13%. That just made us realize that our decision to move here was the right thing to do. Both my son and I got jobs in Apple Valley..only 5 minutes from each other, he's working at the Minnesota Zoo. I absolutely love Apple Valley, even much more than Prior Lake. My husband got a job with a gentleman from our church who owns a construction company...just a starter to get us on our feet, then he will be going to school in August for his EMS certification to get back on as a paramedic. Which having done some research since arriving here, the job opportunities and hiring availability is great. He will not have any problem getting hired on. So things are wonderful. I am very shocked by the people here though. They are so so very nice. I mean total strangers. Your reputation of "Minnesota Nice" definitely ranks high on the scale. I am very pleased with our decision to come to this area. Thanks everyone for all your input over the past few months. It made our move here much easier with all the knowledge we had prior to arriving.THANKS!!!!!!
Katho - welcome! We moved from SFL over 2 years ago and still absolutely love this!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:49 PM

102 posts, read 196,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Katho - welcome! We moved from SFL over 2 years ago and still absolutely love this!
That's great to hear. I'm originally from South Florida, in Tallahassee now and strongly considering the Twin Cities.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
So I'm confused...people from outside the state of MN are moving to MSP and enjoying themselves? But, but, I didn't think that could happen?!? Minnesota (n)Ice and all of that.

Sorry, I'll stop stirring a settled pot. Glad to hear those of you new to MN are enjoying it! Can't wait to move back in ~2 months!

Old 05-02-2011, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
I just wanted to say that living in the cities isn't "ghetto". I live on the East Side of St. paul, 2 blocks from Phalen, and there have been nights that I have left my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition (on accident) and it was still there in the morning. I have also left my front door unlocked all night, no problems. You just really have to do your research. Maybe take a mini vacation, get a hotel room for the week ($250+ a week), and actually drive around to some of these neighborhoods. It's all block by block, and in some areas, house by house. The "ghetto" (which it isn't really ghetto) in my neighborhood is two to four blocks away. Seems far enough away for me. Our street is quiet, little traffic, tree lined, trash free, and very family oriented. Our neighbors are nice, say Hi to you when you're outside, and are just really good people that would give you the shirts off of their back. I love St. paul, and am raising my 7 month old here.

I also grew up in NE Minneapolis, and there are many "good" neighborhoods still around there as well. Again, it could be a block to block difference. As a side note, if you are weary of cultural diversity, then the MPLS/StP area isn't the place to move.

I think it's that cultural diversity that makes the cities great, and makes them a great place to raise your children. Teaching them to look at a person and like them for what's on the inside, not the outside. I shall depart from my soapbox now.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM

37 posts, read 133,563 times
Hi all!!! I'm back. Have some more questions. Can anyone tell me about some areas in Minneapolis on the streets of Queen Ave N,Emerson Ave N, Bryant Ave N and some of the surrounding areas. What kind of neighborhoods are they...crime,safety etc. We are looking to move further north now. Currently in Prior Lake. We are actually looking for a home to rent in the Plymouth,Crystal,New Hope and surrounding areas. We really don't want to go into Minneapolis, but I have found a few homes there and was curious about the neighborhoods. Thanks for any input.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
You need to drive the blocks you're considering before signing off on any lease. Bryant N has some pretty rough areas, with open drug dealing. Emerson is nice but it's a very busy street. Queen is next to Penn, so depending on where you're looking it can be fine, or get very sad. Also remember that this end of town got run over by a tornado this May, and several blocks look, well, like a tornado went through. I live on a pretty section of James, but 6 blocks north of me got completely ripped up.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Thank you. Greatly appreciate the info. Haven't signed any lease or anything. Just surfing the net at the moment to find places. I just wasn't sure about any of the areas in Minneapolis. I prefer to live on the outskirts of the city.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:17 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
The streets you mentioned really vary based on which part of the northside they are on, you will find dramatic differences in just about every facet based on where they are at on 40-50 block stretch (e.g. In the teens, twenties and so on all the way up to the 50s). If you can give the first two numbers of the street address or the nearest intersection I/we could provide more info. Regarding your desire to live on the "outskirts", there are some very nice areas on the outskirts of the city of Minneapolis here on the Northside, but the streets you specifically mentioned can be hit or miss depending on which area of blocks you are referring to. Regarding the suburban locales you mentioned, is there a reason you didn't include Robbinsdale (my favorite of the suburbs in this area) in your list?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Thank you for the info Camden Northsider. As far as Robbinsdale, we really don't much about any of the areas. We have only been in the area for 6 months. So we are still familiarizing ourselves with the TC area. I actually have looked for some homes for rent in the Robbibsdale area, no success. We have not been there yet, so we don't know what the area looks like. It's not out of the question, I just don't much about it. Any suggestions on areas to look into would be very helpful. And if anyone sees, knows or hears of any homes for rent in any of the areas I've mentioned, please let me know. We prefer a SFH with a max rent amount of $1200. A townhome,twinhome would work as well. Prefer a 3/2 or 3/1.5 as far as the BR/BTH. Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul