Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 PM

59 posts, read 133,077 times

Advertisements

I grew up in St.Albans, WV... Went to college at Marshall University in Huntington, WV... Moved to Savannah, GA after graduating with a marketing degree... Wasn't happy in the South after 2 years, nor was I happy with the opportunities my degree gave me, so I went back to Huntington, WV to pursue a degree in graphic design... To answer your question though, I will be moving from Huntington, WV to Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Don't assume that this is the only bargain apartment in the area either though. There are efficiency studios in Whittier for under $600/month. That area has a little more going for it and it's right between uptown and downtown.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Yeah! Take stupid risks and you can REALLY live life!!
I'm guessing you're not a statistician or numbers person- if you were, you might be able to realize that the "risks" you're referencing are about as likely as audadvnc's meteorite scenario (in fact, that was his point). Maybe a better example would be that you have a greater risk of being a random victim of a meth lab explosion in a non-urban area in MN as you do being a victim of stray gunfire in an urban area.

And the need to create "top" lists or categorize/compartmentalize areas people have arbitrarily deemed as "risky" in their heads (with virtually no real evidence to validate their claims) never ceases to amaze me, but it does keep me interested in reading these posts purely from a sociological perspective.

But if you'll humor me MCC I'm curious- are there areas you specifically go out of your way to drive around in your commute in/out of the city? Areas you take a detour from having to walk through in your day-to-day routine? Do you suffer from OCD (obsessive hand-washing,etc.)?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
My partner works in a group home for developmentally disabled. One of the patients there cannot walk through a door until she has opened and closed it exactly 35 times... Don't interrupt her when she's counting, or she'll start all over again.

I once saw the wreckage of a meth lab explosion. It was in ... North Minneapolis! AAAAHHH!!! (oops, don't tell MCC, don't wanna scare 'em.)

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
1828 Park Ave S, Minneapolis - Google Maps

It looks like a nice area...
??? From your farmhouse in rural Minnesota, yes I suppose it could look like a "nice" area. Give me a break

Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
??? From your farmhouse in rural Minnesota, yes I suppose it could look like a "nice" area. Give me a break
It's hard to tell by looking at text, but I have a feeling he was being sarcastic. The "..." gave it away for me.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 AM

256 posts, read 586,151 times
They picture looks ok. The way some people talk, you'ld expect that area to look like a shelled out, burning no man's land.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
It does look like a nice area. It's filled with big, grand apartment buildings built in a period when buildings were built with a sense of pride. Those huge brownstones could be plopped down on the Upper West Side or Chicago, and they'd be right in place.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
It looks nice. Until recently this was the worst part of the south side. Ten years ago you could score crack on the street three blocks from there at 22nd and Park. Fifteen years ago you would have heard gunshots nearly every night if you lived there. You can't go by looks in Minneapolis.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Farmhouse?

Rural Minnesota?

Hmm?

It does "look" nice dude. Get out of Minnesota once and awhile and you'll notice that the 'bad' areas of MN don't really look that 'bad'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul