Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times

Advertisements

I know there have been more "snow days" than usual, but when you park your car on the street you basically sign up for moving your car around all winter. At least you have a choice here. In some Chicago neighborhoods many people can't afford a garage space because they can cost as much as a small house! There is so much public parking here and most all buildings have mandatory parking requirements that just about everybody has a viable option. So yes, I feel your pain for sure, but it's a lifestyle choice that people made and it wasn't kept secret or anything.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM

468 posts, read 799,706 times
I found this winter to be very tedious. First the snow storm a week and then the bitter cold and it isn't over yet. After 5 years here, I am not sure what is a good or bad winter. All I know is that it is going to get darn cold at the same time every year and there is nothing I can do about it.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,331 times
I think we’ve had a tiresome winter with twice as much snow as normal. All the snow seems to make the cold harder to bare.

I had to readopt my “winter strategy” after moving back to Minnesota a couple of years ago. The way I see it…Nov/Dec are cold but not really, really cold and usually not that snowy. January…that’s the month to watch out for. I brace myself, grit my teeth and get through the cold. One plus for January are the stunning crystal blue skies. If I make it ‘til February and the funny thing is I usually do…I’m scot-free. It snows in Feb. but there are a lot of days of melting too. March, not my favorite month because of the wet slop, is the thaw….well, okay so is April but in my special reality winter ends some time in March. In my born and raised Minnesotan mind, there is only 1 month of winter that actually has to be dealt with…the dreaded January. February 1st, I let out a big WHEEEEEW…..I made it, that’s done for another year.

Admittedly, this year my strategy didn’t work that great but in all fairness I’m a little out of practice and the snow quantity threw me for a loop.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I do agree with "lalife". I think the winters here are bad, but they're especially bad when you live in the actual cities and you have to deal with Snow Emergencies, nowhere to park, public transit shutting down, narrow streets, unkempt sidewalks, lack of space to put snow equipment, heating an older brick apartment, etc.

If I drove a Suburban, owned a snowblower, and lived in a brand new house out in Eden Prairie it would be much different.

Overall, I'm hearing that this winter was pretty run-of-the-mill. Ugggh! If I stay here next winter I'm moving to a high-rise, getting garage parking, and trading in my Honda for a Land Cruiser!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
But, ya know, I moved TO Minnesota to experience the hardcore winters we have here. If you don't like where you live, why stay?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
But, ya know, I moved TO Minnesota to experience the hardcore winters we have here. If you don't like where you live, why stay?
But then there would be nothing to complain about, remember?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
Well, I've got you here...

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM

I don't know what that means...

Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM

455 posts, read 638,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
But then there would be nothing to complain about, remember?
Dude. Chill. You don't need to hijack every thread with this crap. We get it. It annoys you when people complain about Minneapolis.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Dude. Chill. You don't need to hijack every thread with this crap. We get it. It annoys you when people complain about Minneapolis.
I'm getting a little tired of this bandwagon crap too. Aside from not wanting to move to Park Ave and not prefer hearing people complain about life, my posts are generally informative or inquisitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul