Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Put them here, folks! Rant about whatever it is that's bothering you. If people don't want to see a lot of talk about "Negative Thoughts", they'll know by the thread title.
In the 1981 hit song by Hall & Oates "I Cant Go For That" , what is it they cant go for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:43 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
I don't know that song! But knowing Hall & Oates, "that" is probably women, since they are the ambiguously gay duo!!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 AM

927 posts, read 2,466,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I love LA. One of the best cities in the country, but also tough to really crack as a visitor. Downtown is far more lively in LA than in Minneapolis (although also dirtier and grittier in most parts); my guess is that you were mostly in the financial district, and not along Broadway or the Toy District or Fashion District, where swarms of people fill the streets. A lot of the city does look dumpy in parts, but others are incredibly beautiful. It's just a weird, weird place, extremely diverse (in EVERY way), and has an energy that I do think the Twin Cities lacks. There are drastic differences between different areas, though, and things can change dramatically within a matter of blocks. I fully expected to dislike LA when we moved there, but was shocked to discover that I fell in love with the place (we lived in a couple of different areas, including both Hollywood and the Pasadena area; loved both, but both were completely different. Pasadena had more of a "Midwestern" vibe). There really is literally something for everyone. I'll cut off my rhapsodizing now, but it's a fabulous place, and one of the best food cities in the country. On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to compare the Twin Cities to LA. Of course LA is going to have a lot more going on, given that it's a MUCH larger city and metro area.
Downtown LA is on a huge come back in the past 4 years, with AEG entertainment really making the area fun. Starting with the Staples Center in 1999, the downtown area is now home of Nokia Theatre and Club Nokia, that has the VMA's, Grammy's, People's Choice Awards, etc... Staples has the Lakers, Clippers and LA Kings. Also, there are bars, restaurants, music, comedy, and the new Marriot Hotel, which is now one of the biggest sky scrapers in the city. Downtown LA is MUCH different than it was in 2006.
Just wait until Farmers Field is built and we get the Vikings...

As far as the nightlife in Minneapolis... the bars have a certain vibe to them that I haven't found in LA yet. I do miss the nightlife in Minneapolis - perhaps because I know more people in Mpls.

But, LA has Minneapolis beat for nightlife. The fun spots to go out at night in Minneapolis include: Uptown, Northeast, or Downtown. That's it. Other than those areas, it's mostly small bars that get the same people, over and over...gets a little boring.

LA has Santa Monica, Venice, South Bay, Silver Lake/Los Feliz, Hollywood, Downtown, etc.. Way more options in LA, making the nightlife better.

Plus, even on weeknights you can find lots of people out and about in LA. In Minneapolis, First Ave and Hennepin are pretty dead Sun - Thur nights.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Oh, I know, I've been to LA (and have lived in LA) since 2006. I don't like all the new Staples Center stuff, though; my favorite parts are still the Fashion District and Broadway. Broadway's historic buildings have really continued to be renovated, which has been exciting. But here in Minneapolis, while not on the same scale as the downtown LA stuff, the new Target Field has been pretty exciting, and has changed things for the better downtown in just the last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul