Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to search for roommates online? I will be attending St. Paul college this fall and right now I am trying to look up roommates online, but craigslist doesn't have much, and roommate finder websites really don't seem to help at all either. I also looked at classified ads on the Pioneer Press website.

I will be visiting the school in March and driving around and will be getting a lot more info then, and I definitely will be visiting more during the summer, etc. I am mainly looking in Cathedral Hill and the surrounding area, doesn't have to be super close to the school but should be in the general area, I will have a vehicle so I am able to drive. I do very much love that area, so it'll be great to live there.

As for a budget, well just apartments on craigslist I see 2 bedrooms generally go for 800-1000(is this accurate?), so depending how many roommates I have, I guess half the price of a 2 bedroom or 1/3 of a 3 bedroom + whatever else I'll need or want(phone, internet, tv, electricity, whatever utilities aren't included) plus an application fee and deposit.

Right now I am just looking around to see what in general is available and general prices. I'll actually be looking harder and be checking places out this summer and late spring, and I'll need to know how to look. Of course I am coming from St. Cloud so I won't be able to be driving down there all the time, but I will be down often enough to look at places and talk with potential roommates, etc. I probably would be willing to live further away if I could score something cheaper enough where it would be worth it to be further away from the school to save money.

When the time comes and I do move I will be 19 and I am kind of shy and am pretty quiet, and very, very clean, which might be unusual for a teenage guy. Is it harder to find roommates when your very young like I am?

My parents will be helping me find a place, etc. so I won't be on my own, though I'll be on my own financial wise, they're not paying for my school for me, etc. if you're wondering, my parents aren't some rich people paying for everything, lol. Though they would let me live at home they're really wanting me to go away for school and experience living somewhere away on my own, and being close enough to come home every so often but far enough away I won't be able to run home with every problem I encounter, and I am beyond excited to go.
I was looking at MCTC in Minneapolis but of course they didn't have the program I wanted, St. Paul is still my 2nd favorite after Minneapolis and still a heck of a lot better then St. Cloud and most of the suburbs.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 02-19-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Would you want to move in with other people who are looking for a roommate and living with them instead of you finding a place and a roommate?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Move in with people looking for a roommate

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 AM

109 posts, read 281,114 times
Wow, this is strange. I'm 17 and I will be attending Saint Paul College this fall, and because I currently live 500 miles away from the cities, I was very worried about finding a roommate. My girlfriend will be attending college in northeast Minneapolis, so we decided just to get one place together in the Roseville area (halfway between). Still surprised me to see this post though, for some reason.

For finding roommates, I would suggest going to the orientation for new students they're having, which I think is sometime next month or so, and just talking to people. This for me would be difficult, because I am *very* shy, but it seems like a viable way. If nothing else, start an apartment on Dayton Street by yourself, and maybe a month or two into college you'll make friends who need another roommate, or find someone to fill in. What struck me as odd in this post, is your mentioned price range. When I visited Saint Paul, we walked around the Cath-hill area and called almost every apartment building down there that had a for sale rent banner on it (almost all of them, lol) and there were very few that had a price over 650/month. Hope this might help a little, good luck.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Apartments on Dayton are generally under 650?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Apartments on Dayton are generally under 650?
That's probably a one-bedroom or studio. When I was renting by St. Thomas, we stuck three guys in a pretty nice two-bedroom and spent about $300-$350 each. And that was on the cheap end.

I don't doubt that the $800-$1000 numbers youre looking at for two bedrooms is accurate. The only suggestion I would have is that you might find more people looking closer to large colleges, like St. Thomas, St. Kate's, Mac or Hamline than you would immediately nextdoor to St. Paul College. You might find the prices better, too-- remember that Cathedral Hill is a very established neighborhood and very close to downtown. I would think that most of the people there are homeowners, and that most of them are young professionals or families. St. Paul College (I think....) is mostly a commuter school, so there's probably not going to be a slew of students around there looking for roommates.

Anyway, good luck.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
St. Paul College (I think....) is mostly a commuter school, so there's probably not going to be a slew of students around there looking for roommates.

Anyway, good luck.
Thanks
And yea, it is mostly a commuter school.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Have you asked at the school? Often they have a roommate connection site/board or have listings of people in the area with rentals.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Im visiting the school in early March.
Thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM

82 posts, read 255,891 times
Check on craigslist . There should be tons of ads for roomies. Also your college/univ may have some forums or sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul