Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM

297 posts, read 841,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Minneapolis and St. Paul are two separate towns: just ask a native from either city to go across the river to the other one; and their stomachs knot up in fear about crossing the river to a *foreign* place!
YES! I have friends that visit and they are often amazed that the downtowns are so close together. I tell them, oh. People from Mpls do not go to St Paul and vice versa. It's pretty funny. I go to two places in St. Paul. The salon and the credit union. PLEASE don't ask me to find an address in St Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Oh, and as far as pizza, I guess I never knew that there were specialty pizzas in Chicago when I've been there before. Maybe next time I go I'll check it out and see if it's so much better than anywhere else.
Hey! Chicago has the B-E-S-T Pizza! Ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 AM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
YES! I have friends that visit and they are often amazed that the downtowns are so close together. I tell them, oh. People from Mpls do not go to St Paul and vice versa. It's pretty funny. I go to two places in St. Paul. The salon and the credit union. PLEASE don't ask me to find an address in St Paul!
And most people from St. Paul feel the same way about Minneapolis!

I've lived on both sides of the river and it doesn't bother me at all to go to either downtowns; I'm pretty good at finding addresses in either city. They are just laid out a bit different from each other; but neither is laid out much different from any other city in this country. One just has to get the "lay of the land!"

Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,188 times
There used to be an Edwardo's near Southtown Mall in Bloomington. That place was great, but is now a cheap-looking Asian buffet of some kind.

Now we have nothing. Woe is us.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlowder View Post
There used to be an Edwardo's near Southtown Mall in Bloomington. That place was great, but is now a cheap-looking Asian buffet of some kind.
I miss that place ... I have a friend who lives close to Southtown, and we used to get the BEST deep-dish veggie pizzas from there. Wonderful food.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,388 times
Haven't lived in Mpls for a few years, but used to LOVE Davanni's deep dish. Is that place still around? It was a local chain, had plenty of locations.

And, btw, I've had Giordano's. Wasn't all that impressed, to be honest.

ETA: Looks like they're still around. Here's a link to the menu:

Menu Item Details Display

Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
I'm amazed of how dismissive some folks are of pizza in the Twin Cities. I lived in New Jersey for about five years and, while I loved the widespread availability of Chicken parm sandwiches, the pizza was nothing special at all--it was virtually identical from place to place. In contrast, pizza in the Twin Cities varies significantly. My favorites include:

Leaning Tower
Savoy Red's
Punch & Pizza Nea
Black Sheep
Uptown
Carbone's
Michelangelo's

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I'm amazed of how dismissive some folks are of pizza in the Twin Cities. I lived in New Jersey for about five years and, while I loved the widespread availability of Chicken parm sandwiches, the pizza was nothing special at all--it was virtually identical from place to place. In contrast, pizza in the Twin Cities varies significantly. My favorites include:

Leaning Tower
Savoy Red's
Punch & Pizza Nea
Black Sheep
Uptown
Carbone's
Michelangelo's
Michelangelo's is very good za.
Fireside in Richfield is great if you like thin crust.
New place we like is Randy's in Oakdale. It also goes by the name of Premier Pizza.

Savoy's is a bit greasy for me, but it is pretty good. Have not been to Leaning Tower in quite awhile, but it is good stuff.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
I love Carbone's, but also miss Green Mill and Old Chicago tremendously. And Rocky Rococo's, if the one in the northern Twin Cities suburbs (Brooklyn Park?) is still up there...?

I miss nice crunchy thin-crust Shakey's Pizza, too, but those have been gone from the Twin Cities for ... a while.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
The Carbone's on Randolph is great, except there's no beer, so it's take-out only Italian Pie Shoppe is also excellent, similar to Dulono's, which is great.

Pizza Luce makes some great stuff. Pizza Nea is very, very good, but their restaurant in NE has zero atmosphere. It's the kind of place you want to leave as soon as you're done eating.

Regarding Rocky's...I was at that place in Brooklyn Park maybe 3-4 years ago. Their website claims it's still open. I gotta admit, their pizza isn't exactly "good" but there's still something about it I like. I wouldn't make a special trip though. That's an odd chain. I believe they're based in SE Wisconsin, and 95% of their stores are in Wisc. But they have one store in MN, and then one each in KY and WA. Bizarre.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Regarding Rocky's...I was at that place in Brooklyn Park maybe 3-4 years ago. Their website claims it's still open. I gotta admit, their pizza isn't exactly "good" but there's still something about it I like. I wouldn't make a special trip though. That's an odd chain. I believe they're based in SE Wisconsin, and 95% of their stores are in Wisc. But they have one store in MN, and then one each in KY and WA. Bizarre.
I used to work at Rocky Rococo's (in Hopkins) back in the early-mid '80s. Rocky's was the first place that I knew of to offer pizza by the slice. Based in Madison, the chain did well in the '80s expanding into the Twin Cities, but I think they had financial problems when they expanded into the Denver area. Then they started to decrease the number of places. I didn't even know they had a place here in the Twin Cities. I've been to Rocky's in Madison (on State Street) in the past few years--still good pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul