Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,781 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am doing a Cultural Profile on the Twin Cities. I can find quite a bit of scattered information on these forums and other areas, but I'd like to get your ideas clearly put in one place... if possible! Please answer any or all of the following questions about Minneapolis & St. Paul. There are no right or wrong answers. I'm just looking for patterns and areas of commonality. Thanks in advance!

Behavior - What is Done?
  • How do people dress? (be very specific, styles, brands...)
  • What food is popular? (Specific meals, restaurants...)
  • What language is used? (slang and colloquialisms)
  • What do people spend their (discretionary) money on? (big and small)
  • Where do people go when they have free time?
  • What do people display on their cars?
  • What do people prominently display in their homes?
  • What behavior is ridiculed?

Values - What is good or best?
  • What are the symbols of status?
  • What kind of people are honored or looked up to?
  • What is socially acceptable that might be considered morally wrong by some?
  • What is socially unacceptable that might be considered morally right by some?
  • What intangibles do people get upset about losing?
  • What causes do people rally behind?

Beliefs - What is True?
  • What foundation do people use in determining standards of morality and ethics?
  • What sources of truth are referenced or given credibility?
  • What are people most likely to say they believe in?

Worldview - What is Real?
  • How is truth determined?
  • Who or what is "God" (god)?
  • What is "real" and what is illusion?
  • What is the meaning of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Do you want specific information for both Minneapolis and St. Paul or are you looking for general information on the metro area or MN in general or specifically? "Cultural Profile' is pretty vague and is going to vary widely even from house to house on the same block.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM

I'm looking mainly for Minneapolis as a city. Every house and family is different, but I'm looking more for commonalities... if you know what I mean.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskipper View Post
Hi everyone. I am doing a Cultural Profile on the Twin Cities. I can find quite a bit of scattered information on these forums and other areas, but I'd like to get your ideas clearly put in one place... if possible! Please answer any or all of the following questions about Minneapolis & St. Paul. There are no right or wrong answers. I'm just looking for patterns and areas of commonality. Thanks in advance!

Behavior - What is Done?
Beliefs - What is True?
  • What foundation do people use in determining standards of morality and ethics?

Behavior -
Dress - Conservative and stylish. Fashion in the US starts at the coasts and works it's way in. Same with radio singles, so the Midwest is usually a little delayed. Young people dress fashionable and the young professional population keeps the styles changing. Middle-aged people tend to be Jeans and Tshirt type people. Many golfers here, so many golf type outfits for males.

Food - Pretty bland. Very many "Bar and Grills". The Ma and Pa ethnic places are more prevalent in the cities.

Language - Pretty basic midwest language with the northern states dialect. Overused OOO's. Very scandanavian like too with things like "For Pete's Sake" and "Oh for cute" "uff-dah" "geeze"

Discretionary Spending - Many Twin Cities people are cabin go-ers or boaters. Many spend their money on Cabins and gonig to the cabin or on their boats and a car to pull the boat. Many are golfers, so country clubs and golfing. Very family oriented - so many spend it on their children and extra curriclulars. Also, many spend their money on their homes and yards. Minnesotans aren't very flashy.

Free Time - Cabins, sports, family time, biking, enjoying the few months of great weather.

Car displays- Obama stickers and still some John Kerry stickers. Hunting things.

Prominently displayed things in homes- Just taking care of their lawns. Manicured yards are very important. I'm sure that scandanavian upkeep resonates to inside teh home.

Rediculed Behavior - stupid acts of violence, bigotry

Values -
Symbols of status- Cabins, hockey, private schools.

Honored or looked up to people-Politicians, athletes, Garrison Keillor

Socially unacceptable and wrongs - I know MNs don't typically have much debt, I know large debts or forclosures/bankrupties are embarassing (not so much lately)

Beliefs -

I got bored. sorry

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskipper View Post

Behavior - What is Done?
Beliefs - What is True?
huh?....I dunno. I'd probably say gas and the dairy aisle and stuff like that.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
car displays: political bumper stickers. Old Wellstone ones have a special place of honor. (in some circles the bigger badge of honor would be the bike, not the car.)

And I've never seen another city that's more into lawn signs! Not just political, but everything. "Slow down." "Play hockey." "My kids go to X school." "Peace."

I think knke and I run in different circles (his description sounds more suburbs than city, perhaps?); a lot of those things don't match what I see in Minnepolis, but the Garrison Keillor thing in particular stood out; the only people I know who like him are from other states. Most of my Minnesotan friends can't stand him or his stupid show. I know a lot of people out there apparently do like him, but I don't know many of them. I think many Minneapolis residents resent him because he makes the state sound like hillbilly land where everyone sits around eating "hotdish" and telling Ole and Lena jokes.

Being too flashy is generally seen as a negative thing. Charitable giving has generally been seen as a very good thing (and a more appropriate way to display wealth without being seen as tacky).

Socially unacceptable: displaying bigotry would be a big no-no. That goes for race, ethnicity, sexual orientation. In Minneapolis one of the worst insults you can throw at them is to suggest that they're racist, or in many circles, that they're conservative. (before anyone jumps on me, I'm not suggesting that they're the same thing!) I don't think hunting is a big thing for many people in Minneapolis. That seems more of a suburb thing, but maybe I'm wrong. It just doesn't go along with that left wing vibe you find in most of the city. (although maybe people are more into it now, as it does sort of go along with that whole self-sustainability, locally-grown non-factory farm food thing, assuming one eats what one kills)

Causes: environmental, education, gay rights, biking, food issues are hot right now. "Social justice" would be the key phrase I'd use to describe Minneapolis value systems.
People are very quiet about their religion, but the religious institutions are pretty focused on issues like fighting poverty and other social justice type issues.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks knke0204! I know that it's a lot. Just a few answers are fine. I appreciate it!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Thank you uptown_urbanist! Ha. That's interesting about Garrison Keillor. I'm from Maryland, and I've always enjoyed listening to him... and yes he does make the state sound like hillbilly land. :-) I'm sure that many people who don't know a whole lot about Minnesota do believe that. Thanks again for all the info!

Anyone else? I'm looking for more than one or two opinions on these things. Please don't consider the answers answered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul