Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,690 times

Advertisements

Recently moved here. Am mostly conservative in my beliefs, but very accepting of cultural/religious/educational/ANY differences in people.

Is there an area of St. Paul where I might meet like minded people?
Local hangouts?

Are there single, conservative men over 45 living in St. Paul?

I like the area around Grand Avenue. Would I stick out like a sore thumb if I lived there????

THANKS.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,640,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanann62 View Post
Would I stick out like a sore thumb if I lived there?
I'd guess that would depend on how enthusiastically you force your conservative-ness into the conversation:

OK:
"Hi, I'm Susan. It's a beautiful day today..."

Not OK:
"Hi, I'm Susan. Are you Of the Body?"

Last edited by audadvnc; 03-04-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times
I think you'd be fine. Most people aren't visibly wearing their beliefs on their sleeve anyway (other than some religious clothing, or I suppose political pins or shirts or the like), and most people are open to friends with different beliefs, providing that they don't feel like they're being pressured to convert. Are looking for politically or culturally conservative, or both? If you're looking for culturally conservative, I assume that there are some church-based social groups over that direction. Also try meetup; they might have some groups. Or get involved in local politics. I assume that the local Republicans (if that's your party of choice) would love having some new blood around, and there might be some single men also involved. The other benefit of St. Paul is its place as state capitol; that guarantees some conservatives living and working in the area, and again, I'm assuming that there will be a fair number of single conservative men in the bunch. And while the colleges are known for being more liberal, there are definitely some conservatives around there, too. In any case, while I don't personally know any single conservative men 45+ in St. Paul, they must be around, so good luck finding them!

Or give up and go for the James Carville-Mary Matalin-style relationship.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
I'd guess that would depend on how enthusiastically you force your conservative-ness into the conversation:

OK:

Not OK:
Of the Body? Elaborate?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,974,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post

OK:

Not OK:
Great. Now I'm seeing McCoy with a smile on his face. Unsettling.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,690 times
Smile My sleeves are plain

No. I don't wear my religion or my political views on my sleeves, but I was just wondering if, being conservative in some thoughts/views would be considered taboo......

I'm really new to city living and am having a difficult time making friends! I live in Woodbury and have been hanging out at the local 'establishment'. I am not at all comfortable sitting at a bar, but have met some very nice women who have said that they have had a difficult time meeting people.

Woodbury is definitely not my niche. I don't care much about $$ or status, although I am self-supportive, and comfortable. I am not trying to keep up with any Jones', Andersons or Jetsons for that matter.

I just would love a group of friends to call my own; to invite to dinner, to play games, explore new places~ restaurants, camping, parks, museums, etc.

I'm trying the meet-up groups, but that's where I'm having difficulty. So many are so very specific to beliefs that I don't believe or am not even interested in. The other more general ones (book clubs, etc) are already full and have waiting lists.

I am spending time this summer exploring Saint Paul and looking for a condo to purchase. I think it will be a better fit for me than here.

THANK you all who responded. I REALLY appreciate your feedback and the time you took to answer my questions!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM

896 posts, read 1,470,925 times
If you change your mind and just want to get laid I can recommend about 200 night clubs.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,640,777 times
You may have better luck with Match.com or some similar web dating site. I had a very positive social dating experience using Chemistry.com, and highly recommend it. There are some skanky dating sites, but you'll figure out which ones work for you pretty quick.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 PM

324 posts, read 569,924 times
Goodluck...

Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 AM

988 posts, read 1,818,390 times
Keep in mind you are in the land of a bunch of Lutherans (I'd say land of 10,000 Lutherans to go with our 10,000 lakes, but we all know that would be a pitifully low number to guess...) Anyway, you might consider visiting Missouri Synod churches? Definitely LCMS will be more conservative in its theology so you would be likely to find more conservatives in the age range you're looking.

As far as being a conservative in general, it seems you might already know you're in a land that leans somewhat liberal. However, it can't be that much so when as a state we just voted in a Republican House and Senate - and came within about 9000 votes of a Republican Governor.

You mention the clubs you've found are all full...have you thought about starting your own? Maybe start something up on Craigslist? I realize you have to use some caution in trying to meet strangers via CL, but create a very generic email account and start by only corresponding via that list and then make sure your meetings are at a very public and trafficked location until you find people you're comfortable with...

Be civil and polite with people and you'll likely be fine...works for this conservative who doesn't generally shy away from his beliefs (but, sorry...I'm 5-6 years short of your age range)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul