Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,660 times

Advertisements

I graduated from St Paul college and it did get me a good job for over 10 years. The school has a good reputation for tech colleges in the Twin Cities. Anyway, yes I think you should be able to find a studio apartment in Crocus Hill /Cathedral Hill for around $550-$600. That area has TONS of charm! Just stay away from the apartments right across from the school. I think those are Section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM

164 posts, read 596,191 times
Glad to hear Saint Paul (hopefully) is gaining a young, interested, enthusiastic person who will take the city as it is and likely find the gems it has to offer. Yes, downtown is a ghost town in the evening, but even that has character to be discovered. One of the great things you'll find is that the downtown area isn't the only indentifier of the city---get out and explore and take the bus, walk around, have NO agenda. I hope you will develop pride in the town. Garrison Keillor called it Pumpernickel Bread compared with MPLS's Wonder Bread identity. Welcome.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Thanks icewater!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
What are some 'unknown' secrets of St. Paul? I'm mainly a MPLS person, so I don't know much of the hidden secrets like I do in MPLS. Can anyone help me out?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
the "watering holes" are everywhere and super cool and laid back -- the way I PREFER to have a brewsky with friends! I WISH there were more places like that in Minneapolis and closer to where I live!!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
What are some 'unknown' secrets of St. Paul? I'm mainly a MPLS person, so I don't know much of the hidden secrets like I do in MPLS. Can anyone help me out?
-Happy Hours are cheaper, more close knit, and relaxed than Mpls.
-Parking is easier.
-Except for downtown and by the rivers, the streets are gridlocked and easily navigable.
-Grand Avenue always has something new I haven't seen before.
-Restaurants are better and less known. Chino Latino, Roat Osha, etc. are all way overrated.
-Saint Paul feels more expensive than Minneapolis.

I've heard that Saint Paul is the westernmost Eastern city, while Minneapolis is the easternmost Western city. I always thought that summed it up well.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
In what ways does it feel more expensive then Minneapolis?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
In what ways does it feel more expensive then Minneapolis?
I guess the word I was looking for was "regal" or "established" or "classical".

Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Oh ok, makes sense.
Thank you

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM

164 posts, read 596,191 times
Yeah, I have also heard that STP is the last city of the East and MPLS is the first city of the West. It seems about right.

-And yes, you can't beat Summit Avenue for classical and established.

-Do you remember Ventura's rant about the confusion of STP streets? He said it seemed they were laid out by a drunken Irishman. He complained about after wrestling at the Civic Center trying to find his way out of town at night. This led Norm Coleman to follow this in some parade (St. Pat's?) where he was walking/twirling down the middle of the street and shouting "See Jesse!? See how easy it is to get around!? See!"

-Also, at one point some crackpot had proposed that a good way to alleviate the parking hassle in downtown would be to string CABLE CARS across the river to the lots there on the West Side. How great would this be?! To see cable cars ferrying people across the water at 5pm. For sure this would have been an AWESOME and UNIQUE calling card for the city. Like a blue collar ski village. And, along with the 1ST building it would liven up the skyline and increase its identity. Too bad this probably never got off the ground for a moment, but it's vision like this that would enhance the city (more interestingly than flogging the Peanuts on Parade characters for another summer---ugh).

-Another STP pride point is the various gangster spots. Here's something I clipped out in the early 2000s but don't know the source:" Alvin (old creepy) Karpis, one of the gangsters who used St. Paul as a refuge during the 1930s, wrote later in his life about his headquarters: The Green Lantern, a Wabasha Street speakeasy fronted by a cigar store. " He goes on: "Every criminal of any importance in the 1930s made his home at one time or another in St. Paul. If you were looking for a guy you hadn't seen for a few months, you usually thought of 2 places- prison or St. Paul."

-One of my favorite radio personalities, T.D. Mischke, would always go to commercial breaks with the line: "A.M. 1500-- Good Old St. Paul, Big Time Minneapolis."*** He also had a true crime anecdote that kind of sums up the differences between the 2 cities: St. Paul Bank XYZ was robbed last week by a man toting what witnesses confirm was a shotgun. Minneapolis Bank ABC was robbed last week by a man who handed the teller a note demanding money or he'd detonate the bomb inside the bag he left on the counter. The teller handed over the money, the man left, and inside the bag on the counter was a taupe colored bath towel.

-Not there anymore, but a true STP institution was Tiger Jack's Shoe Shines and Hickory Chips. Near the corner of I-94 and Dale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul