Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times

Advertisements

I know if we get into the public school debate it will hijack the thread, so I'll just try to leave it with just this brief comment: MANY, many people (and many, many statistics and research) will show that there are ample opportunities for a top-notch education in St. Paul's middle and high schools. Not all schools or not all programs, but there are certainly schools within St. Paul that can hold their own against any other school in the state. Obviously everyone is entitled to his or her own position, but it is only fair to note that Golfgal does not live in the city, does not send her kids to the St. Paul schools, and has not demonstrated much familiarity with the workings of specific high schools. Sort of like if I started commenting on my viewpoints of Rosemount's high school. If the OP really wants to consider living near campus, then she should talk to people who send their kids to the local schools, not to those who have no experience with them. Presumably some of the people at St. Kate's can help with that; many faculty and staff members (and probably students, too) have children in St. Paul's public schools, and can provide a more fair and accurate assessment of the option. All advice here should be taken with a grain of salt. In this case, Golfgal has a strong personal bias against most public schools out of her district (with particular ire retained for the city), so keep that in mind. I probably have a city bias because I have seen so many wonderful city schools and programs and success stories and have known many local university faculty who have chosen to send their kids the St. Paul and Minneapolis public school routes, so I know enough to realize that within the city districts (suburbs, too, although it's not usually as pronounced) it makes little sense to look at district-wide numbers. You'll want to look at specific schools in the area, and also sometimes at specific programs within schools. (IB, for example).

Maybe the OP prefers a modern suburb and doesn't mind a commute, but no need to let fear of schools keep her from living by the (incredibly beautiful, by the way) St. Kate campus and its surrounding very family-friendly neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourian11 View Post
I find it interesting that Minnesota has more mosquitoes than Missouri does. You would think mosquitoes wouldn't strive at colder climate like Minnesota but I'm no expert on insects.
There are a lot more in western Ontario in the spring (around lakes like Lac des Mille Lacs and Pakashkan) than I've ever seen in MN. I suspect the shorter warm season has something to do with larger numbers and more aggressive behavior.

Strangely enough, we have almost no mosquitos at all near my house in the Atlanta metro, probably because of the lack of standing water in the local area.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourian11 View Post
I find it interesting that Minnesota has more mosquitoes than Missouri does. You would think mosquitoes wouldn't strive at colder climate like Minnesota but I'm no expert on insects.

Again, I want to thank you for additional suggestions about schools and good areas near St. Kate in St. Paul.

I learned that MN is ranked 12th among 50 states when it comes to tax burden; however, it seems like most Minnesotans do not mind due to high quality of life and services Minnesota has to offer.

However, I did discover something that disturbs me. I want to check if that's correct about this aspect of MN tax system.

Does MN really tax both elderly and the disabled on their monthly SSI check even though if it's the only source of income for them?

If this is true, I think it's unfair. The reason why I asked this is because I have been taking care of my mother who is disabled drawing SSI check monthly.
I'm frankly surprised we're "only" 12th highest taxed state. Though I don't have specific references at the moment, I seem to remember something closer to 5th-9th. I guess there is a culture here (i.e enough large businesses located themselves in MN to bring sufficient jobs, among other factors) that encourages people to endure high taxes, but I'm not sure people are particularly fond of them. There is the argument we are losing jobs to South Dakota with much lower taxes and aggressive marketing by SD to lure businesses.

Having said that, since you obviously have done some research on the situation, I suggest you confirm or deny the situation on your mother's SSI. Obviously, depending on the answer you will need to decide what is the best decision financially.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 19,791 times
As far as suburbs near St. Kate's, Highland Park is fantastic--older neighborhoods with a lot of character, great shops & restaurants, safe, close access to airport/mall of america, river, minnehaha falls, and both downtowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul