Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No offense but for all intents and puroses of this thread who really cares what traffic is like in Honolulu? The post isn't even about general metro area traffic, it is specifically about making commutes that are going opposite to normal rush hour traffic. If anyone has had a different experience please speak up but in my experience traffic is far lighter when going the opposite direction in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
It almost doesn't matter which direction you go anymore. It matters in places like Chicago because there is only ONE direction you can't go, so people go the other way. Here you can go home in any direction from the center. One example is Hwy 100. It backs up a bit in the morning going north from say Edina, but in the evening it's MUCH worse going the SAME direction. Hwy 62 is attrotious going westbound from I-35W in the morning away from the city, and MUCH easier in the afternoon. A lot of times congestion is more closely linked to where bottlenecks are than where downtown is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It almost doesn't matter which direction you go anymore. It matters in places like Chicago because there is only ONE direction you can't go, so people go the other way. Here you can go home in any direction from the center. One example is Hwy 100. It backs up a bit in the morning going north from say Edina, but in the evening it's MUCH worse going the SAME direction. Hwy 62 is attrotious going westbound from I-35W in the morning away from the city, and MUCH easier in the afternoon. A lot of times congestion is more closely linked to where bottlenecks are than where downtown is.
Agreed, it doesn't matter what direction the traffic is going - 494, that doesn't head to or from downtown, is backed up for miles in the morning and afternoon.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM

53 posts, read 95,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Agreed, it doesn't matter what direction the traffic is going - 494, that doesn't head to or from downtown, is backed up for miles in the morning and afternoon.
A lot depends on where you are on 494. I reverse commute from South Minneapolis to South St Paul and rarely, if ever, encounter heavy traffic on that stretch of 494. Bloomington, though, is a different story.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Honolulu has a city population of 374,658 people and a metro of 909,863 according to Wikipedia. So it's definitely not larger than the Twin Cities. It should be expected to have better traffic, but if it does not, then that would make it significantly worse (for its own size).
Ummm, i know honolulu has less people, but theres not a good transit system + theres only 1 highway system...And Honolulu has worst traffic than most large cities...including Minneapolis.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Ummm, i know honolulu has less people, but theres not a good transit system + theres only 1 highway system...And Honolulu has worst traffic than most large cities...including Minneapolis.
Haha yeah, having only one highway would be a major problem. My main point of the post was to say that Minneapolis and the Twin Cities metro are larger than Honolulu and its metro - I was correct yoyoma02 on that.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Haha yeah, having only one highway would be a major problem. My main point of the post was to say that Minneapolis and the Twin Cities metro are larger than Honolulu and its metro - I was correct yoyoma02 on that.
Honolulu was a bad example, because it's not a simliar city like Minneapolis, even though the city population is simliar. Don't forget to factor in commuters and tourists.

My point being, if you take a simliar city, such as Denver or Seattle - traffic is much more controled there than the Twin Cities.

Again, I blame road construction.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Honolulu was a bad example, because it's not a simliar city like Minneapolis, even though the city population is simliar. Don't forget to factor in commuters and tourists.

My point being, if you take a simliar city, such as Denver or Seattle - traffic is much more controled there than the Twin Cities.

Again, I blame road construction.
Blaze Orange is Minnesota's State Color

Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It depends on the route though. I sometimes take Hwy 55 out of Minneapolis in the morning to eastbound 55/62 and cross the Mendota Bridge and I've never once been backed up by traffic. That goes for the afternoon return commute too. It feels like hardly anybody is going back into Minneapolis from the suburbs in the afternoon, which is awesome for me. I agree that there are parts of 62, 494, 694, 100 and 169 that pretty much suck in ever direction during morning and afternoon rush hour. I used to commute over to the Hopkins/Minnetonka area from Eagan for my commute and there was no way to avoid bottlenecks on 62 and 494...some days just to avoid bumper to bumper traffic I'd go all the way to 26th St in South Minneapolis and cut across to uptown and take Hwy 7, that's how bad it got sometimes. Thankfully I don't commute over there anymore.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 PM

224 posts, read 527,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No offense but for all intents and puroses of this thread who really cares what traffic is like in Honolulu? The post isn't even about general metro area traffic, it is specifically about making commutes that are going opposite to normal rush hour traffic. If anyone has had a different experience please speak up but in my experience traffic is far lighter when going the opposite direction in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Haha yeah, Honolulu has nothing to do with this topic, but it serves as good trivia knowledge, thanks!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,967 times
Like many people have said, traffic in the Twin Cities is decent in most places, except for during snowstorms and with accidents. However, a city like Honolulu is hard to compare anything with because of tourist traffic. The only tourists in MSP are there for the Mall of America, which is why 494 is so bad, with MOA and the airport right there.

To recap: Decent traffic-some bad spots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul