Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I would rather use light rail/ mass transit if I had the option. Please don't try and dictate my personal choices just because you're opposed to them...although I can't say that I'm surprised by the rhetoric- most conservatives view it as their job to do just that (equal rights, gay rights, abortion, etc., etc.- but don't anyone DARE try to touch gun rights as a means to actually save lives).
While I tend to agree, you sort of opened that can of worms now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
As valiant as some of the efforts to change people's perspectives on some of these issues have been, I think most people's minds aren't open to changing (on whatever side of the spectrum) or even reasonable argument most of the time. I sometimes prefer to say what I think versus allowing a thread to die a slow, painful, death through vain attempts to get close-minded unbendable persons to try to understand something they refuse to get.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM

455 posts, read 638,205 times
Quote:
I would rather use light rail/ mass transit if I had the option. Please don't try and dictate my personal choices just because you're opposed to them...although I can't say that I'm surprised by the rhetoric- most conservatives view it as their job to do just that (equal rights, gay rights, abortion, etc., etc.- but don't anyone DARE try to touch gun rights as a means to actually save lives).
Oh good. More self-righteous liberal drivel. People were at least pretending to engage in well-reasoned dialogue before this post.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
whaaaaaaaa?.... oh I see, you're all for freedom of choice as long as it subscribes to your way of thinking.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
I would rather use light rail/ mass transit if I had the option.
I think this is the reality for a lot of people. I'd certainly love to use mass transit (especially light rail, but even a frequent bus). One thing that is a disappointment is that many nice neighborhoods (my focus has primarily been the southwest area as I've always had a fascination, but I imagine is evident in other parts of the city as well) are under-served (or have service, but seem to lack any express service - making downtown a nearly 40 minute ride away), probably because of a large usage of cars.

I hope to stay in Minneapolis after college, but should I want to raise a family ever, looking for a neighborhood that fits my tastes, price, and needs that also offers robust public transit is pretty limited. It's a sad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke
All of this is based on the assumption that people would rather use mass transit if they had the option. Some people might, but most people would rather be autonomous and live out wherever they want to, drive wherever they want to, etc.
I think many people would like the option for public transportation. I come from a family that has owned more cars than my age (probably nearly double) thanks to a variety of factors. My father loves cars, so it certainly rubbed off on me. I think I'll always own a car unless I move to a place like Chicago or New York City. It just makes sense. But I'd also love to not pay for gas, parking, and wait in traffic on the interstate just for my job.

One weekend not long ago, one of my roommates and I decided to go to MOA. We decided that since it was a Saturday, when the 3 bus is less-than-stellar and would then have a half-hour train ride, we would just drive. As it turned out, we had a 20-some minute drive until we got to Hwy 77. We spent about 45 minutes on the off-ramp. I'd much rather have had the train carry me right to the mall and drop me off (especially since I have an old, finicky manual car that meant a lot of annoying clutch work).

I think a lot of people, especially those with smaller families, would love to be near amenities like a light-rail line to avoid those sort of traffic snares - both for leisure and work.

But to have that, we need more density. Not everyone likes density. And that's fine. But looking at the Hiawatha line, there seem to be quite a few developments that have popped up right on the line or within 1-2 blocks that actively promote LRT access and make it part of their selling points.

A higher density lot such as apartments/condos/townhouses on a frequent transportation line can bring more people into the city while also reducing the commute time (presumably for everyone - those who live closer have the option of public transit OR a shorter drive and those who live further out have less people clogging up the highways). It would also promote public transit efficiency - a bus could cover a larger population of people in a smaller geographic space.

Just some thoughts. Sorry for the word vomit.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
whaaaaaaaa?.... oh I see, you're all for freedom of choice as long as it subscribes to your way of thinking.
I don't care if people choose to have a 2 hour commute if that's what they want to do- I may not understand why someone wants to do this, and I don't think it's wise to encourage large groups of people to do this, but as a person that spends a lot of time in the car myself (more because of work duties vs. long commute), I really have no place to judge someone that chooses to/needs to do this.

However, I do think it's a little hypocritical and short-sighted to expect shiny new and increasingly widening highways out to suburban/exurban areas (and all of the associated costs that go with it- financial and otherwise), yet simultaneously view efforts to increase mass/public transit options benefiting both city and suburban areas as frivolous or unnecessary just because it's not what you choose to do.

I'm not a Twins fan, but I could somewhat see the benefit of a new stadium, and helped pay for it via taxes, despite the absurdity that the public was largely being expected to pick up a good chunk of the tab for some local billionaires....

Old 03-27-2011, 09:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Right....it called agreeing with something vs. disagreeing with something else. Strange concept to you, I can see, but it's how discussions are made. You need to move on though, this is pathetic!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Here is a map where you can see population gain and decline by census tract.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Huge gains in and around Downtown. Some around Uptown, Phillips. Some along the Hiawatha Line. Along University Avenue. And other places further out in the city as well - but the map's there and it's fairly interesting.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Here is a map where you can see population gain and decline by census tract.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Huge gains in and around Downtown. Some around Uptown, Phillips. Some along the Hiawatha Line. Along University Avenue. And other places further out in the city as well - but the map's there and it's fairly interesting.
Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting to see that Minneapolis lost some population but saw considerable growth in many areas.

It looks like the Warehouse District absolutely exploded with population...as did the rest of downtown, like you mentioned.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Downtown developers built all those condos and townhouses on the old rail yards, that's why we see population growth downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul