U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 PM

481 posts, read 1,721,778 times

Advertisements

I want to take a couple days off and stroll around some of the local prairie style buildings in the Twin Cities. I've looked up the Purcell house and that gives tours during the 2nd week of the month, and I know the Wells Fargo bank at 64th and Nicollet is in that style. Can anyone recommend any other buildings around about that are similar?

They don't have to be Wright or even designed by any of his (or Sullivan's) immediate adherents (such as William Purcell) - what I'm looking for is anything in the same style, following the same rules, so I can have a bit of fun and also take in some of the basic ideas for the style. I've always found that style particularly relaxing and interesting.

I wouldn't want to pester any home owners or realtors for private showings, its just a humbug on my part so I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM

1,844 posts, read 5,358,500 times
This site lists all Wright-designed buildings in MN- you might be able to google the names to try and get at some addresses (I thought I had saved an address somewhere around Stillwater/East Metro when one of these homes was on the market, but can't find it): Frank Lloyd Wright - Minnesota (All-Wright Site FLW Building Guide)

I'm a little bummed as word on the street has it that the Lawrence A Fournier house, a craftsman bungalow with prairie elements- designed by a draftsman at the Purcell firm (and listed on the Natl Register of Historic Places)- came on the market a few weeks back but must have sold within a day or two because I never saw it on the MLS. The home is one of a few dozen in the nation featured in a book I have about bungalow architecture, and I would have loved to have taken a look at it if not moved to get pre-approved to make an offer (it sounds like the asking price was very reasonable considering its architectural/historic status). It's a simple small house but I've always loved detouring our walks to go by it- you can find it at 35th and Sheridan Aves North in the Cleveland Neighborhood here on the Northside.

I'll have to think a little bit more about where I've seen great examples of prairie style architecture here in the Cities- one of the most common examples is a style of 2 story duplex you see quite often around Minneapolis. There's a church around Dowling and Fremont Aves North that I like as well if you ever come up this way, although the interior has more to offer than the exterior.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,718,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
This site lists all Wright-designed buildings in MN- you might be able to google the names to try and get at some addresses (I thought I had saved an address somewhere around Stillwater/East Metro when one of these homes was on the market, but can't find it): Frank Lloyd Wright - Minnesota (All-Wright Site FLW Building Guide)

I'm a little bummed as word on the street has it that the Lawrence A Fournier house, a craftsman bungalow with prairie elements- designed by a draftsman at the Purcell firm (and listed on the Natl Register of Historic Places)- came on the market a few weeks back but must have sold within a day or two because I never saw it on the MLS. The home is one of a few dozen in the nation featured in a book I have about bungalow architecture, and I would have loved to have taken a look at it if not moved to get pre-approved to make an offer (it sounds like the asking price was very reasonable considering its architectural/historic status). It's a simple small house but I've always loved detouring our walks to go by it- you can find it at 35th and Sheridan Aves North in the Cleveland Neighborhood here on the Northside.

I'll have to think a little bit more about where I've seen great examples of prairie style architecture here in the Cities- one of the most common examples is a style of 2 story duplex you see quite often around Minneapolis. There's a church around Dowling and Fremont Aves North that I like as well if you ever come up this way, although the interior has more to offer than the exterior.
They need a better web designer for that site

Too bad they don't list addresses.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,403,010 times
Mpls Institute of Arts has a good display of local Prairie House architecture. The Merriam Park branch of the St. Paul Library has the Bungalow Club's book registry, and is a good source of information.

There's a Purcell house on N side of 36th Street S between Blaisdell and Grand, he designed it for one of his friends/employees who was looking for something nice but not expensive (photo taken last year with a 50 year old Kodak Hawkeye camera ):

There's also a really nice Prairie house on Lyndale (architect unknown to me), on the SE corner of 41st (?) street S, it is pretty magnificent.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I was wrong about this house having already come on the market and sold, and wish I didn't already own a craftsman bungalow (with a ton of projects yet to be done on it) as this would be a dream house for me and for so cheap (still might call a realtor friend to take a look)- you could pretend to be a buyer and check it out out one of your days off (assuming it's still on the market): 3505 Sheridan Avenue N, Minneapolis MN - Trulia

Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM

409 posts, read 1,157,337 times
I would recommend going to the library and checking out "AIA Guide to the Twin Cities" and "AIA Guide to the Minneapolis Lakes District". Probably the best sources you will find.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 AM

Found the perfect resource for you Haver (which maybe you've already found) via the Minneapolis Institute of Arts website: Unified Vision: The Architecture and Design of the Prairie School - Architectural Tour - great site!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM

1,287 posts, read 1,954,728 times
There is a Frank Lloyd Wright house right in the middle of the Twin Cities that few people seem to know about.

It's in Prospect Park near the U of M, at the south end of Bedford Street. It was built for U professor Malcolm Willey and is Wright's precursor design to his Usonian style.

The web site for the house is here.

The website offers a virtual tour and includes a plan of the house. I've been in the house many times. It's a small gem and originally had a great view of the river valley until it was blocked by the ugly concrete sound wall on I-94.

Last edited by Astron1000; 03-22-2011 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul