Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM

356 posts, read 606,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I have lived in 4 different cities and my parents live in a 5th different city in San Francisco with a completely different climate. I don't know what all climates are like but I know a lot about the Midwest and the Central Plains. In my experiences, I have found that weather is entirely relative and that it's easy to get accustomed to it if you give it a try. But that's just ME, I guess.

Cities I've lived in:
Minneapolis
Chicago
Columbus, OH
St. Louis
Why imply those of us who think the winter is nasty is not 'giving it a try'? Of course we are giving it a try b/c we haven't left. This is strictly a personal perception. It isn't anything to do with someone not trying to adapt.

Anyone can aclimate themselves to anything. I got used to the AZ heat in the summer. Each year became easier. I am accustomed to the cold winter, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't like it and I prefer a warmer climate. It's not a matter of not trying at all. Simple preference. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Sun dogs are the bright spots on either side and above the sun that show up on cold, clear, still days, when ice crystals (ie very small snowflakes) hang in the air. Due to the refractive properties of the ice crystals, you get false suns about 30 degrees away from the sun. I saw a sun dog this winter that resulted from ice crystals right near my position - a billboard sign was blocking the light from faraway crystals, but the sun dog appeared anyway.
This is a very good description. In Native Canadian legend, it also means extremely cold weather is on the way very soon and most of the time, it is right.

It looks like a foggy ring around the sun.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Here's a couple sundogs, courtesy of goggle searching (i.e. I didn't take these):

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Here's a great one:

From Calgary Herald, GAvin Young

Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM

and it can be as simple as this:

Last edited by sparksals; 03-30-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: pic didn't display

Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times
Why does every thread in the Twin Cities forum end up talking about the weather?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Why does every thread in the Twin Cities forum end up talking about the weather?
I think thats my fault. LOL

Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 12,463 times
The only 2 positive things I can say about Mpls...the lakes (calhoun, harriet, isles) and 89.3 The Current (public radio station). If that doesn't sound like enough to move, you're right. I say stay in Denver or look elsewhere. I have lived here my entire life, i live in a great area, it's not all bad all the time, and I am not some crazy depressive-type or anything, but I am a cynic, and I am honest. Minneapolis is a tough place to live, not just weather, but the people too. Transplants always tell me what "minnesota nice" really means....That Minnesotans are nice enough to say hello in the grocery store, but never invite you into their homes for dinner....its a tough place for newcomers so i have heard.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjblu View Post
The only 2 positive things I can say about Mpls...the lakes (calhoun, harriet, isles) and 89.3 The Current (public radio station). If that doesn't sound like enough to move, you're right. I say stay in Denver or look elsewhere. I have lived here my entire life, i live in a great area, it's not all bad all the time, and I am not some crazy depressive-type or anything, but I am a cynic, and I am honest. Minneapolis is a tough place to live, not just weather, but the people too. Transplants always tell me what "minnesota nice" really means....That Minnesotans are nice enough to say hello in the grocery store, but never invite you into their homes for dinner....its a tough place for newcomers so i have heard.
Kudos to you for not denying our experience and seeing it from transplant's point of view! Thank you so much for your post and for going to such effort to see it from our point of view.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjblu View Post
What's with you freeloaders so bound and determined to mooch a meal off of us and look in our medicine cabinets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul