U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM

329 posts, read 401,048 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend places where I can find house rentals other than the C.L. website (not sure if I can mention their name but I think everyone knows what I am referring to)

My spouse and our baby are moving out of our apartment and need to find a rental house very soon, within a month. We look on the CL website, but have not found enough places that would be suitable. We went to a a couple of libraries to look for rental house listings but didn't see any there either. Should we go to coffeehouses to look for listings? We prefer to rent from a landlord, not management companies, and need to sift past all the scams that are out there, we're on a very short timeframe. We just need to find more rental houses that meet our needs- mostly being in a quiet and safe neighborhood, and in the under $1000 range.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 PM

812 posts, read 2,010,244 times
The local shopper has listings in it. The MInnesota Sun Post covers a lot of the suburbs, at least those on the west end, if you're looking in that area.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM

329 posts, read 401,048 times
Thanks Kebinminn, I appreciate it! We'll keep looking.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM

228 posts, read 625,921 times
Similar problem over here. This is a most frustrating market - I can't find anything decent enough that wont entail moving to the suburbs (absolutely not) or too far away from work to make it worthwhile. I had better luck in London!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:31 PM

290 posts, read 502,424 times
Why doesn't the MLS in Minneapolis include rental listings? I do wonder how all the houses that people can't sell are being rented out. Craigslist is great for apartments in the city, but for more expensive homes, MLS is a much better system.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM

293 posts, read 660,910 times
I would start by looking inside the classified listings in this weekends' Sunday Minneapolis Star Tribune and St. Paul Pioneer Press along with their websites, so it might be a good idea to buy a sunday paper this weekend. The earlier suggestions of looking in the weekly suburban papers like; the Sun Post, the Sun Current, the Sun Sailor in the west metro and Press Publications in the northeast metro; is an idea would concur with as well.

I also like your idea of checking the cork boards at local coffee shops, supermarkets, laundry mats in some of the area's you're considering moving to.

Rentals are tough in the Twin Cities Minneapolis St. Paul Area because many people are having trouble selling their homes coupled with the fact that very few if any apartment buildings have been built in the metro area since the late 1960's and early 1970's, with the exception being senior citizen apartments and luxury short-term extended stay rentals. This has created a shortage of rentals, and they are more expensive in comparison to metro areas which are comparable to the Twin Cities.

Many people not able to sell their homes are working with management companies, which you made your desire to avoid them, to rent these single-family homes and townhomes who's home value's have continued to plummet these past few years. One of the faster growing companies is called Renters Warehouse based in Golden Valley near I-394 and Louisinana Avenue.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM

267 posts, read 505,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Why doesn't the MLS in Minneapolis include rental listings? I do wonder how all the houses that people can't sell are being rented out. Craigslist is great for apartments in the city, but for more expensive homes, MLS is a much better system.
Actually, the MLS does now include rental listings as of last fall. The only problem is there really aren't a ton of listings in there compared to Craigslist. That said, I did find a nice townhouse rental for a couple 3 months ago from within the new MLS rental listings.

If Sunbrite wants me to search they can send me a direct message with their ideal rental and I'd be happy to do a search. Just like in buying a house there is not cost to the tenant - a Realtor gets a referral fee from the landlord (which is why it's not as popular as Craigslist).

I do like the suggestion about local papers. ThisWeek, SunCurrant, Sailor, Rosemount Town Pages ... There's a bunch of them and most have online classifieds.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,348,020 times
Trulia.com has the rental listings feature (for sale and for rent tabs)- same deal as MLS where there's not many listings, but what's nice is that you can search rental listings by specific city and neighborhoods within (bigger) cities..

Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM

10,629 posts, read 24,979,073 times
I think many owners of individual houses go through management companies -- finding and dealing with tenants is a hassle. You might want to be open to management companies.

Another option, since you're already in town -- do you have target neighborhoods? If so, sometimes you can see "for rent" signs out front. I have noticed several for rent signs around here (SW Minneapolis, Armatage and Kenny neighborhoods), at least one of them definitely a single-family house. Last year I remember picking up for a brochure for a SFH a block from Lake Calhoun; they actually had a box with real estate fliers outside.

If you have a few favored neighborhoods you could also try checking to see what kind of online presence they have; some have active Facebook pages, others have online forums, others have email lists. Many have neighborhood coordinators, so even if you don't want to join an email list just to post something, you could perhaps send the coordinator an email asking if they have any leads, and maybe they'd be willing to post a "would like to rent" request for you. That and driving around might be more likely to connect you directly with a landlord.

For Minneapolis, many neighborhoods also have their own newspapers, with some of them online.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 PM

333 posts, read 656,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think many owners of individual houses go through management companies -- finding and dealing with tenants is a hassle. You might want to be open to management companies.
That's just the reality of it. If I'm renting my house to you, I don't want to deal with you. I'm paying some property management company 10% to deal with you.

Landlord managed properties are out there but they're becoming more scarce with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul