Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:22 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times

Advertisements

Things I remember:

When going out meant either: Perkins, Embers, Bridgeman's or (when mom & dad were feeling spendy) Mr Steak

Excelsior Amusement park (which I went to for the first and only time in summer 1973, right before it closed)

Harvest House Cafeteria on the 2nd floor of downtown Woolworths

Looking at the Top 40 Singles chart from Musicland (I still remember when Little Willie by The Sweet was duking it out with The Night that the Lights went out in Georgia by Vicki Lawrence in summer '73)

My Pi: The first deep dish pizza place in the Twin Cities: located in Golden Valley on Highway 12 (near where The Colonade is now)

St Anthony Main: restaurants like GuadalaHarry's; Taiga (sp?) and lots of little gift shops back in the late '70s-early '80s

Listening to Howard Vikin, Boone & Erickson, and The Cannon Mess on the "Good Neighbor" WCCO-AM

Watching Bowling For Dollars with Tom Ryther

Watching Barry Zevan (the Weatherman) promote Bird Island on his weathercasts on Channel 5. He'd show a picture of blue sky over NY, NY and say "another sunny day in Bird island"

Dancing to Shangoya, The Phones, The Flamin' Oh's, Urban Guerilla's at Duffy's

The downtown Powers department store had an excellent book department

Buying British import LP's at Oarfolkjokeopus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:08 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Does anyone remember the resturant Mud Pie in uptown? It's where the Bulldog is now.. my parents loved that place.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 24,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Not the Boulevard! That was in my old neighborhood of Kenny (or near it)! I saw ET, Golden Eye, Star Wars (re-release) and many others I'm sure I can't remember! ET was also a re-release (I believe) in 1984, and is one of my first memories! There was also a drug store where Starbucks is now called "Sulk Drug" and a grocery store where Kowalski's is called "The Owl" or something.

My parents took us to a place called "Kid's Time Out" where the Mattress Giant is now right next to McDonalds, Best Buy and Taco Bell near 66th and York. THAT was the place to be as a kid when your parents wanted to go on a date night! I had endless fun there!! I bet some of you were probably my play buddies if you are around my age....
Saw many a flick at the Boulevard and the Riverview which is still alive and kicking. That grocery store was called "Red Owl" which was taken over by Super Valu.

I also remember Kid's Time Out. Never went there but that name was rather scary to a 4-year-old, I thought it was like a big dungeon for naughty children.

Let's see, what else can I remember?

The big rain and flood in July '87

Donaldsons Department Store and their horrific 80s maroon bags

Trick or treating on Hallloween '91 (you ain't a true MNer if you don't get this!)

When Channel 9 (KMSP) was nothing but sitcom reruns and cartoons

When you had to go all the way out to the edge of the Metro to find a Cub Foods

When Twin Citians never heard of WalMart

Plane watching next to Rich Acres Golf Course

All the old bungalows and car dealers where Best Buy's HQ building is now

Sears on Lake and Chicago

There also used to be a real good Mexican joint in Uptown the folks always dragged me to. It was called Two Pesos, Cowboy Slims is in that spot now.

Oh, and can't forget the old Southtown Theater either!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
I grew up a few hours away from Minneapolis in rural MN. In my school the 6th-graders always took a day trip to MSP and I remember being SO excited about it. I think our bus left at 6 and I was up at 4. I know we went three places: the capitol, and the Metrodome, but I can't remember what the third was. Usually they went to Fort Snelling, but we didn't that year.

I also fondly remember proposing to my wife at a St. Paul Chamber Orchestra concert, and then walking around the area after the concert while we called a few friends. But that wasn't all that long ago, so maybe not nostalgia yet

Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
It'll be more nostalgic once you have 3 kids and your wife argues with you all of the time.....THEN the memories of when you were in love and "free" will both haunt you and fill you up with happiness! JK, I am married with one kid and I am pretty happy with everything. Except there is no such thing as spontanaity or free will anymore.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It'll be more nostalgic once you have 3 kids and your wife argues with you all of the time.....THEN the memories of when you were in love and "free" will both haunt you and fill you up with happiness! JK, I am married with one kid and I am pretty happy with everything. Except there is no such thing as spontanaity or free will anymore.
I've got a 4 week old, so I am learning this for sure.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM

41 posts, read 49,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJQA1984 View Post
Donaldsons Department Store and their horrific 80s maroon bags.
Brutal, wasn't it? If so, I'm glad I was way too young to remember.

Quote:
Trick or treating on Hallloween '91 (you ain't a true MNer if you don't get this!)
Yep, went trick or treating with bunch of my friends while trying to walk in feet of snow around the neighborhood. That's what we did Halloween, Minnesota style!

Quote:
Used to watch Full House all the time but the segments were only divided in two so there was always a long-assed TV commercial that lasted at least 5 minutes long!

Quote:
All the old bungalows and car dealers where Best Buy's HQ building is now
Ah, the good 'ol Wally McCarthy's. The Penn Ave. Bridge over 494 was so tiny back then!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJQA1984 View Post
The Disney Afternoon was awesome.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:36 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Yup, I loved Disney afternoon. Then Full House was from 5 - 6pm. Then I think it was married with Children from 6 - 6:30...

Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Disney AFTERNOON!

Darkwing Duck
Ducktails
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
Gargoyles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul