Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Glenfield, do you think that life in Minneapolis itself revolves around family, church, and school? Just curious on your thoughts on that -- I always thought that was more prevalent in the suburbs (maybe just because of demographics), but I could just be out of the loop on the religious front.
Well, I don't think that all three apply to everyone and, because of the demographics of the population in the city, it might be that for many none are important, but for many of us in the city, we are here with our children and our families, and our strongest relationships are the ones made in our churches, for those are relationships that are have their foundation in shared core values and beliefs. For the state as a whole, I believe that these are the three factors that bind us as a people. And, of course, Vikings football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
What? The unemployment rate is 6.7%...check it out...
That is not the current unemployment rate but what is being suggested as the normal unemployment rate at which we have full employment. The idea is that there are always some people out of work. People quit, get laid off, look for other job, take sabbaticals, etc. The question is how many people can be out of work while we still have full employment. The non accelerating inflationary rate of employment (NAIRU) is that percent. If we dip below that number, the theory is that it causes inflationary pressures.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Woe is the life of the former corporate executive I guess (who probably got a nice severance package). Maybe s/he should have thought about the prospect of a layoff prior to purchasing the extravagant house and luxury vehicles?? I agree it would be dumb not to take UI if s/he qualifies for it, but I'm not going to be shedding any tears for them when it runs out...

To the OP: Minnesota has always, in general (but with some exceptions), had a great overall quality of life- so much so to consistently land it either at or within reach of the top of the nation. However, you'll want to take into consideration 8 years of Pawlenty and the mess that left behind, combined with the current political mess/deficit we're in and the general (insane) political tone of our state/country- give it a few years and Minnesota will look a lot more like one of the Dakotas or Texas....
Could you pay your bills and stay in your house earning minimum wage for 2+ years before you find a new job that is 1/2 your current salary???

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Well, I don't think that all three apply to everyone and, because of the demographics of the population in the city, it might be that for many none are important, but for many of us in the city, we are here with our children and our families, and our strongest relationships are the ones made in our churches, for those are relationships that are have their foundation in shared core values and beliefs. For the state as a whole, I believe that these are the three factors that bind us as a people. And, of course, Vikings football.
The reason I was asking was mostly because so few people I know in Minneapolis attend church, even the ones with children. It might just be me, but this (the city of Minneapolis, specifically, not the state as a whole) feels like one of the least religious places I've ever lived. In part that perception might be just because people don't generally talk about their religion here, though, which could very well skew things.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Woe is the life of the former corporate executive I guess (who probably got a nice severance package). Maybe s/he should have thought about the prospect of a layoff prior to purchasing the extravagant house and luxury vehicles?? I agree it would be dumb not to take UI if s/he qualifies for it, but I'm not going to be shedding any tears for them when it runs out...

To the OP: Minnesota has always, in general (but with some exceptions), had a great overall quality of life- so much so to consistently land it either at or within reach of the top of the nation. However, you'll want to take into consideration 8 years of Pawlenty and the mess that left behind, combined with the current political mess/deficit we're in and the general (insane) political tone of our state/country- give it a few years and Minnesota will look a lot more like one of the Dakotas or Texas....
And, you'll also want to take into consideration that, as in most places, just about half of us will completely agree with these political views and the other half of us will not.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
The reason I was asking was mostly because so few people I know in Minneapolis attend church, even the ones with children. It might just be me, but this (the city of Minneapolis, specifically, not the state as a whole) feels like one of the least religious places I've ever lived. In part that perception might be just because people don't generally talk about their religion here, though, which could very well skew things.
YOU are anti-religious, not everybody else. It's your perspective because that's what you want to see. It's okay if you are not religious, but I see alot of posts by you talking about how you dislike religion and I can't say I like it very much. Politics, race and religion will always be touchy subjects -- it's better to just not bring them up. And that goes for anyone.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
We are a minority here in Minneapolis-- which I would agree is a very secular place-- but we are here and not in small numbers. Earlier, I was speaking of Minnesota as a state which is one of the more church going places in the nation. Reluctance to speak about our faith is one of the major failings of Christians today. I'll message you with where we meet. Check us out and you may be surprised at what you find.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
YOU are anti-religious, not everybody else. It's your perspective because that's what you want to see. It's okay if you are not religious, but I see alot of posts by you talking about how you dislike religion and I can't say I like it very much. Politics, race and religion will always be touchy subjects -- it's better to just not bring them up. And that goes for anyone.
I don't think we always need to avoid touchy subjects. What's the point of all of this if not to express different views?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Could you pay your bills and stay in your house earning minimum wage for 2+ years before you find a new job that is 1/2 your current salary???
I'm not saying it's not tough, and I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I'm fortunate to be pretty savvy with the job market (largely because of the field I work in), have a lot of skills transferable to a lot of different fields, and could probably set up a consulting business (or subcontract for some established consultants) if the job market wasn't working out for me. If worse came to worse, I would take 2 or 3 minimum wage jobs before my UI ran out.

But to answer your question- yes, I could still pay my bills/stay in my house, assuming my wife still had her job, by working minimum wage for 2+ years before finding a job at half my current salary.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
However, you'll want to take into consideration 8 years of Pawlenty and the mess that left behind, combined with the current political mess/deficit we're in and the general (insane) political tone of our state/country- give it a few years and Minnesota will look a lot more like one of the Dakotas or Texas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul