Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Really, go read up on the state of MPLS public schools right now. HS keep closing because even the kids realize that they are getting a crap education in a crap building.

And I guess only one bridge fell, but there is a slew of other bridges whose quality is much worse than 35W. And that's not even taking into account all the poor overpasses.
There are lots of problems facing Minneapolis schools, but your blanket statement is an overreach. There's a great quality of education to be had at several Mpls high schools: especially Southwest and South, but also Washburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 04:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
I never heard anyone give Washburn high acolades until you....

Old 05-11-2011, 05:57 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I never heard anyone give Washburn high acolades until you....
And it's similarly not surprising that Henry High School, a school that consistently gets high accolades and is considered by most educators to be competitive with SW in terms of quality, did not make what's become the usual South Mpls-centric "quality schools" list on this forum.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
My biggest concern with the Arden Hills site remains the lack of accessibility for many Minnesotans. It's fine for those who have personal transportation, but it has no rail service, and doesn't even provide for convenient bus service.

By starting a light rail/commuter rail system, the metro area signaled its intention to move towards becoming a truly "urban" city. Light rail began by linking the most important economic center in the region, downtown MPLS--with the second most important economic area, MOA/MSP. The second line will bring the next two vital parts of the metro economy , the U of M and downtown STP.

Once the Central Corridor Line is completed, the overwhelming majority of attractions and venues within the metro area will be accessible via rail, with no more than one change of lines. This is not only important for those who live and work here, but would be invaluable to the very visitors and events we're trying to lure with a new stadium.

With the Arden Hills site, we are being asked to provide an $800 million dollar public subsidy for a facility that will be "off the grid". Nor will the area offer any functional walk ability/bike ability opportunities. Essentially, we are reverting to a suburban sprawl mentality.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:36 PM

106 posts, read 238,991 times
^^^ well said. The reality is Minneapolis is the economic center. If there is going to be a facility of that magnitude built it needs to be in the core. I understand all the concerns about the financials, but the truth is that it would be more than just a Vikings stadium. If its not going to have a roof then build it where ever you want, but if it is going to a have the capability to host other large events then it needs to be in the core.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
And it's similarly not surprising that Henry High School, a school that consistently gets high accolades and is considered by most educators to be competitive with SW in terms of quality, did not make what's become the usual South Mpls-centric "quality schools" list on this forum.
I've heard better things about Henry than Washburn, let's just put it that way.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City eYes View Post
^^^ well said. The reality is Minneapolis is the economic center. If there is going to be a facility of that magnitude built it needs to be in the core. I understand all the concerns about the financials, but the truth is that it would be more than just a Vikings stadium. If its not going to have a roof then build it where ever you want, but if it is going to a have the capability to host other large events then it needs to be in the core.
Honestly, I think the public's reception to Arden Hills is primarily the ability to tailgate, so if that's the case just make tailgating easier downtown!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM

290 posts, read 547,372 times
For any other stadium, I'd want it to be near the urban core for sure. But not a football stadium. They are huge, they require massive parking lots, and lastly sit empty for much of the year. I would hate to see such a huge swath of downtown be taken up by a football stadium and massive parking lots. Target Field had little impact because it fit onto a very small block, actually replaced a surface parking lot, and didn't require additional parking to be built. It was a PERFECT example of good infill development.

But the Metrodome site has so much potential for a really great redevelopment idea. One that would be alive 365 days a year. The Mill District is such a focal point for the city that it could really spark development at the Metrodome site.

The only reason I could see the Metrodome site being good is that it would improve our chances of getting an Olympics. It could serve as the main stadium for the opening/closing ceremonies.

I just hope the Ramsey plan goes through so we can stop hearing about it. How many years has it been going on now. Tired of it and so over it. Especially since I'm not a huge football fan.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I've heard better things about Henry than Washburn, let's just put it that way.
I think that's outdated. And I don't mean that Henry is bad -- I've heard great things about Henry. But in southwest Minneapolis these days Washburn has started to regain a good reputation. I know parents with kids in private schools who are looking at their high school options and are now putting Washburn on the list to consider. (and Camden, I'm sure many of those parents would also consider Henry, if it were in our part of town.)

Not sure what any of that has to do with football, though, other than I agree that Minneapolis has more pressing things to worry about then raising our taxes just to put in a stadium. I think the Arden Hills location is ridiculous, but Minneapolis pays enough for taxes. Let someone else take on the tax burden. Or, better yet, make the Vikings pay their fair share.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
MinnPost has a link to the full text of the agreement--some interesting fine-print:

MinnPost - Ramsey County stadium deal with Vikings detailed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul