U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,663,260 times

Advertisements

Im catholic and would like to find a church to join. However, i would like to join one that has other races. not just whites. Do any exist? i know there aren't a lot of black catholics. but there are a few of us around.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,728,099 times
Keep in mind that 95% of the Twin Cities Metro are is white, that same population will be reflected in everything. We have several black families in our church as well as many Asian and Asian Indian families but the church is still mostly white.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 35,759 times
Default Suggestion

St Peter Claver in St Paul might be one to check out. We go to St. Thomas Becket in Eagan which is mostly white, but one of the musical outreach groups from St. Peter Claver came to our church about a year ago and they were absolutely amazing!! I was talking to one of their members after mass and they said that what they did at our mass was just a small part of what they do at a typical service at their church. We keep saying we need to go there one Sunday and experience their full mass. I believe their congregation is made up of muliple races, but is predominently black - like you mentioned not a super common thing in a twin cities Catholic Church. At least it could be something to check out. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 PM

1,844 posts, read 5,359,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Keep in mind that 95% of the Twin Cities Metro are is white, that same population will be reflected in everything.
....in the SUBURBS. Go to church in the city and you're likely to find diversity. There are a number of Catholic churches on the Northside of Minneapolis- I'm not Catholic, but I really like the priest at St. Bridget's (The Church of St Bridget - Minneapolis MN (http://www.stbridgetnorthside.org/index.html - broken link)) and, based on a funeral I attended and pictures on their website, their parish looks to have some diversity. The priest at the Catholic church in my neighborhood, St. Austin's, is East Indian- the parish seems mostly white but seems to have some diversity as well (although I think I saw this church on the real estate market recently, so it may be one of the many in the metro that have been slated for closing, not sure). If you're a very liberal person, you should check out St. Joan of Arc (a Catholic community) in South Minneapolis- a big activist church around LGBT and other issues, although I'm not sure how ethnically diverse it is...

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,028,538 times
I think there's a Catholic church in either Robbinsdale or Golden Valley that is relatively diverse; can't remember which one, though (and maybe there's more than one, for that matter). They would be close to some parts of the metro area that have a much larger black population than what you find in Edina, though, so presumably that would be reflected to some extent in the congregation.

Closer to home, the Church of the Assumption in Richfield has a big Hispanic membership; I don't know how many black members they have, but it's definitely not only white people.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM

6,340 posts, read 15,206,519 times
I second St Peter Claver Catholic Church in St Paul. It is historically black, in the heart of the old Rondo community.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,964,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Keep in mind that 95% of the Twin Cities Metro are is white, that same population will be reflected in everything. We have several black families in our church as well as many Asian and Asian Indian families but the church is still mostly white.
The metro area is closer to 70%-75% white. Rosemount is 95% white.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,964,288 times
I'm Episcopal (Catholic Light) and I go to church in Woodbury and our church is roughly 25% black, so I can't imagine there aren't any Catholic churches in the metro that are more black than my suburban church in the boondocks (this is where my childhood pastor transferred to.....probably TMI).

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM

787 posts, read 1,577,001 times
Yes they exist.

St. Peter Claver in St. Paul is predominantly black, and has been historically so for many years (founded 1892). St. Peter Claver was a priest who ministered to slaves and tried to stop the slave trade fyi.

St. Olaf's in Downtown MPLS celebrates an African mass every month.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,798,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think there's a Catholic church in either Robbinsdale or Golden Valley that is relatively diverse; can't remember which one, though (and maybe there's more than one, for that matter). They would be close to some parts of the metro area that have a much larger black population than what you find in Edina, though, so presumably that would be reflected to some extent in the congregation.

Closer to home, the Church of the Assumption in Richfield has a big Hispanic membership; I don't know how many black members they have, but it's definitely not only white people.
Sacred Heart? I used to go to Good Shepherd (the only Catholic church I know of in Golden Valley), and it's a very nice church, but it is overwhelmingly white...

As far as just churches that aren't predominently white go, Holy Rosary would be a good choice-- it's mostly Hispanic.

Predominently black churches? I don't know. I've been to St. Stephen's several times. It's diverse-- a lot of white parishioners, but not overwhelmingly so, and definitely a strong contingency of blacks and Hispanics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul