Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,463 times

Advertisements

I have heard the Cohen brothers describe Minnesota as "Siberia with family restaurants." Would you agree with that assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,875 times
Since I haven't been to Siberia, maybe I'm not the best one to comment...oh, well. I will anyway...

I'll be honest and say I don't follow the Coen Bros. all that much so I did a quick Wiki search. Interesting they were born in St. Louis Park so I suppose claim to speak with authority.

My guess is the comment is meant to be slightly inflammatory and to posture well to all their oh-so-very sophisticated film friends so they don't get pigeon-holed by their clique as "goofy Midwesterners". While admittedly MN winters are brutal and there are plenty of Perkins, let's keep in mind it's 81F today with a bit of humidity in the air. Let's also pick just a few things about Minneapolis and/or MN:

1) no less than 21 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in MN, and at least two of the largest privately held companies (Cargill and Carlson Companies). Plenty more companies with major presence in MN, if not a HQ.
2) More theatres per capita in Minneapolis than any other US city save NYC.
3) Some of the best known and highest quality medical facilities in the world. I mean I know it's just billionaire Saudi sheiks and US Presidents that fly to MN for Mayo and there's just the crappy University of Minnesota hospitals and research facilities, but it must mean something, right?
4) Speaking of which, the world-renowned University of Minnesota and Carlson School of Management - Carlson only known as in the top 30 or so business schools in the country.
4) While I suppose foodies want to say we're no NYC or LA, it's not as though it's just Denny's or Golden Corral. You can get a decent variety on meals in Minneapolis or St. Paul.
5) 4 professional sports teams (they are professional, even if they aren't exactly playing that way right now...)
6) plenty of pleasant nature amenities such as the Mississippi River, North Shore and more.

And this all in spite of some of the highest, most punitive and most dis-incentivizing taxes in the country...there must be something good going on in MN...

So, to answer your question I do not agree with the Coen Bros. seemingly snide assessment of their home. There are many great places all over the world, but perhaps save these winters (and they are brutal...brutal enough I might give up the good here for better weather soon enough) I can think of far worse places to be. However, If it makes the Coen Bros. feel a little more secure around their buddies to make condescending comments, I say let them...

Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,095 times
Yes, because it stays -20 or colder for 4 months straight

Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times
They probably know very little about Siberia. Different geography and different climates.

The two have little in common other than snow during the winter in my opinion.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,034 times
Well, there's definitely some truth in the statement.

Back in the '60s and the early '70s, when The Coen Bothers were growing up here, the dining scene in the Twin Cities was very focused on family restaurants. Perkins, Embers, Uncle John Pancake House, Bonanza, Brothers Deli, Bridgeman's--that was the dining scene I grew up with.

It's improved a lot since then!!

Regarding the weather. Winters are cold and long, but I actually like parts of the winter, so its not like its 4.5 months of non-stop hell. Other than Santa Barbara, there are few places with perfect weather, so I just deal with winter and enjoy the summer and fall. There are many positive attributes of the Twin Cities to out weigh our winters.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
There is a tendency in life to see things through the prism of your youth. As a result I think the Coen Brother's take on Minnesota is a bit dated.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
what!? you think Siberia doesn't have family restaurants? I'd say Siberia is Minnesota with way cooler hats.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,970 times
Who cares about Hollywood types and their comments? I kinda agree with the assessment of GBCommenter that they did that to not make themselves seem like goofy Midwesterners around their industry friends! Anyway, ya'll don't need to have them around (and their papparazzi stalkers) hanging around to be a "great city"!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
What a ridiculous comment. Minnesota is nothing like Siberia. Canada, yes, but not Siberia!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
There is a tendency in life to see things through the prism of your youth. As a result I think the Coen Brother's take on Minnesota is a bit dated.
I think this is spot-on.

And I don't think they're trying to impress their Hollywood buddies; I think they're just trying to be funny. They've made a good living out of (among other things) embracing Minnesota -- and its stereotypes -- and my impression has always been that they love the city and the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul