Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 AM

164 posts, read 515,724 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I attended our first Lynx basketball game 6 years ago and we were immediately hooked - we've been season ticket holders ever since. I often tell people that the WNBA games are the best family-friendly good time in downtown Minneapolis.

And yet, I am always disappointed that more people don't give it a try. True, the Lynx have had a disappointing win/loss record the past few seasons, but name a Minnesota pro sports team that hasn't.

If you like basketball but haven't watched a Lynx game, I'd like to understand why. (And if you want to try it, this is THE season with Lindsey Whalen and Maya Moore in the starting line-up.)

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:59 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Same reason I don't watch most womens sports. They play at a level that I could beat them if I were 16 again. They are a subsidized product. Kind of like the NBAs Title 9.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,739 times
I've never been to a Lynx game but our family will try to attend one this summer. I was just talking with a colleague and he's never been either but he'll be taking his daughter to a game this summer.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM

Default Thank goodness for open-minded people!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I've never been to a Lynx game but our family will try to attend one this summer. I was just talking with a colleague and he's never been either but he'll be taking his daughter to a game this summer.
Hurray! Some home games will have special events in the Target Field Plaza before the game. There will also be some promotional games with discounted tickets (including a "Dads & Daughters" night). You can check the Lynx website for more info at www.lynxbasketball.com.

See you there!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
No I have never been. I understand the whole "It's a fun time for a family" gig, but I don't have a family. I'm a young guy who played basketball and am an avid sports fan. But the sight of women playing basketball is just not entertaining to me. It's really low on my things-to-do list in the summer if I had a spare 3 hours.

With that said, Maya Moore might be intersting. I'd like to watch her play, but I only will if I know she is getting some good minutes and putting on a decent show. Otherwise, never.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
It's not the "guy" thing to do, but if Maya Moore is the Mike Jordan of the WNBA and it's actually....you know, fun to watch....then I'd go I guess.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Default Here's your chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
No I have never been. I understand the whole "It's a fun time for a family" gig, but I don't have a family. I'm a young guy who played basketball and am an avid sports fan. But the sight of women playing basketball is just not entertaining to me. It's really low on my things-to-do list in the summer if I had a spare 3 hours.

With that said, Maya Moore might be intersting. I'd like to watch her play, but I only will if I know she is getting some good minutes and putting on a decent show. Otherwise, never.
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's not the "guy" thing to do, but if Maya Moore is the Mike Jordan of the WNBA and it's actually....you know, fun to watch....then I'd go I guess.
My family is me, hubby and two sleepy-but-always-hungry cats, so please don't feel you need to have young children to enjoy the Lynx. The only common denominator is that everyone loves the game of basketball.

It will only cost you a little Lazy-Boy chair time to try. Lynx season starts tonight at 10 pm on NBA TV against the LA Sparks /Candice Parker. Full replay Saturday noon on FS North. Sunday home opener against LA Sparks at 2:30 pm, Target Center.

I can't promise that Maya Moore or anyone else will have a blow-out game, but I do guarantee that today's women's pro b-ball is more exciting and interesting than you think.

C'mon - give it a try!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Same reason I don't watch most womens sports. They play at a level that I could beat them if I were 16 again. They are a subsidized product. Kind of like the NBAs Title 9.

I would like to see you go one-on-one with Maya Moore or Lindsey Whalen...

Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM

455 posts, read 638,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I would like to see you go one-on-one with Maya Moore or Lindsey Whalen...
Lol, true. But at the same time, Maya can't touch an NBA baller. And that's the real point. The best female athletes in the world are definitely pretty good, but the best male athletes are levels above the best female athletes.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 PM

One of the things I find irritating about NBA ball is that it's too focused on individual superstar hot-dogging and on dunking. Basketball is a team sport and it's most interesting when strategy is the centerpoint, like a fast-paced chess game on the court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul