Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for a classy place to have a cocktail at night, I'd recommend Prohibition, which is located on one of the top floors of the Foshay in DT Minneapolis. Manny's Steakhouse is also in the Foshay, which is a very nice restaurant I've heard. For walking around outside, I agree with the recommendation of walking around the Guthrie/Stone Arch Bridge/St. Anthony Falls area. The Loring Park/Sculpture garden area on the southwest corner of downtown is very cool as well.

If you're in St. Paul, Mancini's would probably be the first place I'd check out too. I've never been there but have heard good things and it's considered one of the classics in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
I was majorly disappointed in the Lowell Inn. I didn't eat there so I can't comment on that but the room was a dud. The beds were all so fluffy it was hard to move around in them. The whirlpool was nice but it was in the same room as the toilet at all which, to me, was just gross. I guess other rooms do have the separation. I don't think they served even a basic breakfast to their guests although I'm not certain. I'll never stay there again.

Stillwater was nice for an anniversary though. We ate at a nice riverside restaurant on the patio, can't recall the name, and bought some yummy chocolates. They have some bed and breakfasts that are supposed to be good.
You can't really compare a 150 year old hotel to what you are used to staying in at say a Marriott. When you stay at upscale hotels, they never include breakfast but the Lowell Inn serves a very nice breakfast, you just have to pay for it. Having a whirlpool tub in a bathroom-what is wrong with that??? The rooms were all retrofitted for those, they have to make due. You sound like someone that was on a work trip with us once complaining because the rooms at the Del Coronado were "old" .

OP, there are also many, many Bed and Breakfast options around Stillwater that are worth checking into.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You can't really compare a 150 year old hotel to what you are used to staying in at say a Marriott. When you stay at upscale hotels, they never include breakfast but the Lowell Inn serves a very nice breakfast, you just have to pay for it. Having a whirlpool tub in a bathroom-what is wrong with that??? The rooms were all retrofitted for those, they have to make due. You sound like someone that was on a work trip with us once complaining because the rooms at the Del Coronado were "old" .

OP, there are also many, many Bed and Breakfast options around Stillwater that are worth checking into.
While one is trying to enjoy a romantic evening it would be nice to have a private space for the toilet, maybe it doesn't matter to some but we prefer privacy. It didn't even have a door, just two big curtains separating it from the bed area. It's good to know ahead of time so a room that is set up differently can be requested.

As far as breakfast not being included given the amount of B&Bs around there it's worth mentioning. You may not consider it important but if someone is pricing places to stay it may be a factor they want to consider, it's just information. As I said I don't even remember for sure.

I'm not the only one disappointed in the rooms, read reviews.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM

198 posts, read 483,438 times
What I would do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beja0502 View Post
1) A nice hotel or a good location to stay in to feel like we are on a first class trip. I know Minneapolis has nice hotels - but I think we both kind of prefer downtown St. Paul since it is more laid back. The St. Paul Hotel.

2) A nice restaurant to try out for dinner that really represents the Twin Cities area. WA Frost or Forepaughs

3) Things to do in the area - outdoor endeavors, events that are going on for Sunday 6/12, day events, and night events. Rangers @ Twins

I have lived in this area my whole life but don't really know the ins and outs of the city and I don't have a good guide as to finding things to do. Thanks for the help on the topic!
Just my opinion

Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
What about a riverboat cruise? It's four hours and probably not private but could be fun.

On my fun to do list but I'm currently too cheap is a Segway tour of Minneapolis, I think that would be enjoyable.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
I second W.A. Frost for dinner. It's one of the nicest outdoor dining areas in the Cities. If it's raining or too hot, the ambiance inside is also very nice. If you feel like a stroll after dinner, the surrounding neighborhood of Victorian mansions is very pleasant to walk in.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
I dunno about WA Frost. It was a fun spot in 1978. Last time I was there, it reminded me of a museum to retro Victorian styling. And it was full of old ladies.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 822 times
Question looking for 1st wedding anniversary ideas

My husband and I will celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary on Easter this year. We are looking for some suggestions of activities that we could do. Looking for ideas that go beyond just a nice dinner but we know that March is a time of year that not much is going on......so any creative ideas would be appriciated.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
A weekend at the Ivy including a spa day. Dinner at Lurcat and drinks at Butcher and Boar. Actually, there are so many nice restaurants - but those are the ones that are close to Ivy and that we have enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul