Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,592 times

Advertisements

Well, its projected to hit 100 on Thursday.

What are people's favorite places to hang out in when beating the heat? I have no a/c at home, and while I could just go to a mall or a library with my having to spend several hours inside on that day, it might as well be some place really interesting, where I can walk around for a couple miles, sit down and read on my Kindle, grab a quick lunch, surf the Internet for a while and be someplace with FANTASTIC air conditioning (I know some places have crappy a/c to save money...)

Its the flip side of being half Sami: I can walk around in January without a Jacket half the time and feel comfortable, but the first hint of warm weather ... KaBOOM!

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Where are you located? I only asked because I'd feel dumb making this suggestion if you live in Elk River or something. My favorite random hangout place is Spyhouse Coffee shop on Eat Street in Minneapolis (25th St S and Nicollet Ave). Yes, it's a coffee shop, but it's a popular hangout for grad students, hipsters and the like. I always enjoy my time there whether I'm surfing the web, reading the newspaper or chatting with some friends. The other cool thing about Spyhouse is when you leave you're in a cool part of town. If you want you can walk north and go straight into the Nicollet Mall area, which is pretty lively in the summertime. We've gone there a couple times now and there was always something going on with horse carriages, bike taxis and people everywhere.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,592 times
That sounds good. I'm coming from the Nokomis neighborhood.

Still open to recommendations, keep them coming please :-)

Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Do you want to do your walking in an air conditioned place or do you want to walk outside then move into the A/C?

The only places I can think of to walk those long distances inside would be the various malls, MOA being the best choice because it is just bigger. If you want to walk outside, walk around one of the lakes for the breeze coming off the lake-or along the river. You could head out to Stillwater for a change of pace, walk along the river there then head toward the library or coffee shop there. The old part of the library there is just beautiful.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
How about Sea Salt, over by the falls?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:22 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is one of my favorites. They have to keep the temperature and humidity levels stable year-round for the sake of the collections, so it always feels good in there. It's big enough that you can easily spend many hours wandering around (I especially love the period rooms), grab something at the cafe and hang out at one of their tables for awhile, browse the shop, then head back off to check out some Ancient Egyptian pottery or some contemporary art. It's free, too (or pay what you can). There are some spots with great views of the park and downtown, too, so there's a nice mix of feeling connected with the outdoors (and just pop out into the MCAD courtyard or across the street to the park if you want a shot of heat) as well as feeling removed from it all, as in the period rooms.

Any local big museum is going to have the air-conditioning factor covered. You could do the same sort of thing at Minnesota Historical Society, the Walker, etc., but I think MIA is the best option to just while away a long afternoon.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is one of my favorites. They have to keep the temperature and humidity levels stable year-round for the sake of the collections, so it always feels good in there. It's big enough that you can easily spend many hours wandering around (I especially love the period rooms), grab something at the cafe and hang out at one of their tables for awhile, browse the shop, then head back off to check out some Ancient Egyptian pottery or some contemporary art. It's free, too (or pay what you can). There are some spots with great views of the park and downtown, too, so there's a nice mix of feeling connected with the outdoors (and just pop out into the MCAD courtyard or across the street to the park if you want a shot of heat) as well as feeling removed from it all, as in the period rooms.

Any local big museum is going to have the air-conditioning factor covered. You could do the same sort of thing at Minnesota Historical Society, the Walker, etc., but I think MIA is the best option to just while away a long afternoon.
Good call. I don't even like art for the most part and I was impressed with that place.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
I'd just take a dip in Lake Nokomis. I'm sure the water is still plenty chilly.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 PM

143 posts, read 477,835 times
I always like to hit up Lifetime Fitness. Clean, plenty to do to keep entertained, and the swimming pools (indoor and outdoor) are nice! Plus a shower afterwards and I feel like a million bucks.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Take in a movie at the Riverview Theater then step across the street to the Riverview Cafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul