U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 PM

44 posts, read 114,619 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have two small kids (not in school yet) and live in NE Minneapolis. We would like to move to a different neighborhood or possibly suburb with better schools. My husband works in downtown Mpls and wants a commute no longer than 30 minutes during rush hour, and I work part-time in downtown St. Paul, and I would like a commute no longer than 40 minutes during rush hour. We are looking for a decent 3 BR/2 BA house house for $275,000 or less and good schools. Also, being able to walk for exercise near our house (plenty of sidewalks or trails) is important to us. What would be a good area to live in? Highland Park or St Anthony Park in St. Paul? I like the location of St. Anthony Village and the schools, although most streets don't have sidewalks. I don't think we can afford as nice of a house in SAP or Highland, and I'm not sure about the schools. Any other ideas for good areas to consider? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:26 AM

988 posts, read 1,669,910 times
I'm of a few different minds here, especially considering that as a single guy with no children I am not well versed on school situation. That said, different questions come to mind...

1) Do you like NE Minneapolis in general? It seems location-wise for work it hits the requirements of time to work destinations. Since you mention you have concerns about St. Anthony not having sidewalks this is something you desire in your neighborhood (and NE generally has). If the answer is NE Minneapolis is a likeable neighborhood for you, would private schools or open enrollment to St. Anthony be an option? Admittedly, you have to arrange daily transportation, but may be the compromise between a neighborhood in general with the qualities you like and a more attractive school district for you.

2) Speaking of schools...what are the qualities you desire in a school (and would seem to be lacking in NE)? I'm sure others can give a better idea on school with this question answered.

3) What constitutes "a decent 3 BR/2 BA house" for you? That question has varied answers. Willing to put in sweat equity or preferring "move-in ready"? Size of house? On busy streets a consideration?

4) Does the lack of sidewalks in SAP make it unwalkable? I'm not saying one way or the other, but just inquiring on your perception of those streets. Some will say yes, some no.

This all said and speaking very generally, what about Roseville? Generally well situated between the downtowns and has some walkable streets (and/or park areas for walking). I haven't heard bad things about schools, but also can't say the opposite either.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 AM

Open enrollment to St Anthony schools probably is not possible. They have such a large kindergarden class this year that they did not allow any open enrollment. I would prefer a house that is not a fixer-upper, since we have already done that, but now with small kids, we don't have time to put a lot of work into a house. I've thought about Roseville too, but not sure if that would be that much better than St. Anthony.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:31 AM

988 posts, read 1,669,910 times
I guess I would investigate Roseville, possibly New Brighton, or NE Minneapolis with a private school (or look to open enrollment within Minneapolis Schools to a charter school, if that's an option). It would seem those areas are in the price range you suggested, meet the travel times you're looking for, and could have walkable neighborhoods.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM

812 posts, read 2,016,585 times
Are your hours in SP traditional business hours? If not I'd suggest Hopkins, if so St Paul may be harder to manage in your time frame.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Both my husband and I work 8am-4:30pm. Otherwise I would love Hopkins. But I think it would be a terrible commute from there to St. Paul and back during rush hour.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 AM

6 posts, read 12,800 times
What about Eagan? Not sure about the commute time to downtown, maybe someone can answer that. What about the Minneapolis areas near Lake Nokomis and Lake Hiawatha? That's nice there. Lots of cute little elementary schools in the area. Also, I've heard good things about FAIR magnet which will bus kids from various areas.

I live in Eden Prairie, and commute to Minneapolis every day. It's 30 minutes in this kind of weather and nearly an hour ALL the way up Minnehaha Parkway in the snow. But I deal with it. I want to move closer to work though...still, it's been three years, and it's not so bad. My hours are 8-4:30.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM

687 posts, read 1,156,006 times
If you'd consider busing to work, I'd think about something in the Mounds View, Centennial, or Spring Lake Park school districts. I'd try to be located near either the 95th ave park and ride or the County H park and ride.

There are areas with plenty of housing in your price range and tons of trails. For large trails, I'd look at the Rice Creek stuff (Rice Creek Chain of Lakes regional park or any of the Rice Creek trails) and Long Lake regional park. For lots of neighborhood trails I'd look in Circle Pines, Blaine east of the airport, or Arden Hills (though might be a bit spendy for housing). Shoreview also has nice trails, but is starting to get away from 35W a bit and there is little option of busing to downtown Minneapolis. Most any other area in this part of the metro will still have at least as many trails as you would find in northeast Minneapolis. Generally you will find sidewalks along roads that have any consitent traffic at all. Many of the roads with minimal traffic will not have sidewalks (this doesn't bother me, but I know some people are worried about that).

Versus Roseville or St. Anthony or northeast Minneapolis, these areas will tend to have more trails and you will get more house for your money (or more money in the bank for the same house), but the commutes can be longer (though still within your parameters, and the park and rides make the commutes more tolerable).

Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,785,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
What about Eagan? Not sure about the commute time to downtown, maybe someone can answer that. What about the Minneapolis areas near Lake Nokomis and Lake Hiawatha? That's nice there. Lots of cute little elementary schools in the area. Also, I've heard good things about FAIR magnet which will bus kids from various areas.

I live in Eden Prairie, and commute to Minneapolis every day. It's 30 minutes in this kind of weather and nearly an hour ALL the way up Minnehaha Parkway in the snow. But I deal with it. I want to move closer to work though...still, it's been three years, and it's not so bad. My hours are 8-4:30.

Good luck.
Eagan would be a great choice as it is an easy commute into both Minneapolis and St. Paul (and there is a huge transit station there if you want to bus). Both commutes would be in the 30 minute or less range-barring bad weather or a major accident of course. Schools in Eagan are among the best in the state/nation. Apple Valley and Rosemount would be options as well, but would add another 5 minutes or so to the commutes depending on where in each town you end up.

If not Eagan I would look toward Mounds View schools or Mahtomedi. Both would give the same easy access to both Minneapolis and St. Paul that you would find in Eagan and also both have top districts in the state/nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul