Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

While traveling through, we intend to spend about two or three hours in Minneapolis (and eat lunch). Right now our plan is to go to the big mall. Is that the best option? Is there some other must see kind of thing in Minneapolis? We have two adults and a load of teenagers (3 girls 2 boys).

We plan to leave at 3 p.m. and get to Bismark ND that night. Is this doable? Will we miss traffic if we leave by 3 p.m.?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
While traveling through, we intend to spend about two or three hours in Minneapolis (and eat lunch). Right now our plan is to go to the big mall. Is that the best option? Is there some other must see kind of thing in Minneapolis? We have two adults and a load of teenagers (3 girls 2 boys).

We plan to leave at 3 p.m. and get to Bismark ND that night. Is this doable? Will we miss traffic if we leave by 3 p.m.?

Thank you.
Depending on when you are here some of the places to visit might be closed but the moa is personally the last place Id choose on such an short amount of time but it may be great and perfect for your visit

Last edited by demtion35; 07-06-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 PM

37 posts, read 106,050 times
Honestly if i was you instead of staying in Bismark id stay in Fargo to give you more time at the mall.
Also i'd recommend just going to the Mall.

I think it would be stressful to drag 5 kids around Downtown Minneapolis. Find a Parking Spot. Walking around outside might be risky cause it might rain or be really humid so you'll end up walking around the Skyway system which is pretty much a Mall. So you'd be better off walking around MOA

Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
What day is this? It can totally change the answer to your question. Over the weekend, 3 p.m. will not be a traffic issue (unless it's Friday). If it's a Wednesday or Thursday, yes, you will almost certainly hit SOME traffic -- how much depends on which route you take (I'd personally take I-94, as I-94 northbound/westbound from downtown to I-694 is practically traffic-free, amazingly).

If it's a weekend or a day when the Twins are playing at noon or there's another major event going on, do that for sure! If it's a weekday and nothing else major is happening, the MOA is okay to see just to say you've seen it (it is HUGE and has almost everything, but it's a mall, afterall), but I'd personally prefer strolling around Lake Calhoun before or after you had your lunch in Uptown or the SW MPLS area. That's just my advice.....

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
As much as I'd love to recommend other places in Minneapolis, with that many kids AND you've got 2 or 3 hours that includes lunch, I think the mall would be a decent option. You could easily eat up that two or three hours getting off the interstate, finding where you want to go, finding parking, getting food, then seeing things. With such limited time (and it sounds like you have interest in seeing the mall), why not? You can park pretty easily there, get food, see any shops that you're interested in, and then be on your way. And I don't know that it would be the most direct route (maybe it is), but you could then hop on I-494 west and follow it until you hit I-94 west and be on your way.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:26 PM

812 posts, read 2,171,804 times
I also think the Mall would be nice, if nothing else you'll have ample room to move around.

A lot of people love Ikea, if that's your thing then that may be worth your time. They do have cheap swedish meatballs.

MOA is fun and I do think it's different than a lot of other malls. It's not just clothing stores, there's some fun places to browse.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 PM

481 posts, read 1,816,876 times
Or you could check out Minnehaha Falls, and then afterwards have lunch at Caps which is right next to the Minnehaha light rail station. There's a lot of nice WPA era stonework around the falls which makes it a very pleasant area to check out.

With only the 2 or 3 hours, I'd grab some maps ahead of time to plan your route, then go straight to the falls, walk around a bit, come back up, have some nice BBQ at caps, and you'd still have only spent two hours - save the rest for use at the airport, there are some nice shops there. If you spend more time at the park than you planned, Burger King, Dairy Queen, and McDonalds are 4 and 8 blocks north on Minnehaha so you can in and out in about 20 minutes to stay on schedule.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM

36 posts, read 73,656 times
I think the MOA is a great option, it isn't weather dependent. You could also get passes for Nick Universe - super fun for the kids!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Well, you could go to a mall for 2 hours, but that's not going to Minneapolis. Unless, of course, you're heading for Uptown...

Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I agree with the MOA-it's unique to MN. It might not be the "best" option but for such a short visit, the ages of the kids, needing food, etc. it works well. It will be nice to get out and walk and stretch, etc. too.

Another thing that comes to mind would be the Minnesota Zoo but I think the mall is a better choice. Otherwise there are several waterparks that might be a good break for a long car trip but for a couple hours that could get expensive to enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul