Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,449,748 times

Advertisements

You'll get used to the weather after a while. Winters can be really tough, especially if you live in a rural area. You just stay inside during the hot summer days. The weather is my least favorite aspect of living in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,670,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm4baskets View Post
I move here in December. My Husband got a job at a Counrty Club.
After the snowest winter I ever lived thru. And now the humidity. I believe we are living in hell.
The weather here really sucks.
But we are going to be here a while.
So, Thank God to heaters and air-conditioners.
Things can only get better. Right?
cm4baskets, Hopkins, MN
Well, to be fair, most of the U.S. right now is suffering through high temps and humidity, so its not just Minnesota. Believe me, things are worse in Missouri and Arkansas.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 PM

247 posts, read 577,438 times
i dont know what forum to post this on, but im wondering if minnesota is still a good place to move to live and raise a family, the economy and anything else. how has the government shut down affected things and what is the future looking like for minnesota? Ive always wanted to live there, left there when i was a little kid, been back many times and really want to live there..

Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 AM

44,698 posts, read 61,862,613 times
Been on our 3rd year here in MN. Plan to get outta here when the market improves. Love the people here, they are very friendly and helpful. There are many scenic areas to see. If you like boating or to fish and hunt this is a good place to be.
What I don't like is the traffic, the deplorable road conditons, the highway system is so antiquated here, the traffic signals are not syncronized, potholes everywhere, and the freeways not up to date. Waiting on 494 or 694 daily for hours is a sad situation for drivers in this state.
The weather is either a tornado warning, raining, super humid or freezing and snowbound. Mosquitos and other biting bugs are everywhere. Shopping is too spread out. The cost of living is high.
Then to top it off the political scene here is a disgrace. This government shutdown was a losing situation costing jobs and a ton of lost revenue.
But we'll be back to spend our tourist dollars as we have relatives stuck here that need our help.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,456,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Been on our 3rd year here in MN. Plan to get outta here when the market improves. Love the people here, they are very friendly and helpful. There are many scenic areas to see. If you like boating or to fish and hunt this is a good place to be.
What I don't like is the traffic, the deplorable road conditons, the highway system is so antiquated here, the traffic signals are not syncronized, potholes everywhere, and the freeways not up to date. Waiting on 494 or 694 daily for hours is a sad situation for drivers in this state.
The weather is either a tornado warning, raining, super humid or freezing and snowbound. Mosquitos and other biting bugs are everywhere. Shopping is too spread out. The cost of living is high.
Then to top it off the political scene here is a disgrace. This government shutdown was a losing situation costing jobs and a ton of lost revenue.
But we'll be back to spend our tourist dollars as we have relatives stuck here that need our help.
Oh get real. I have lived her longer than 3 years and have never had to wait HOURS on ANY road in town, even during the worst snow storms. Also, you are comparing all of these "horrible" things to Arizona???

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM

44,698 posts, read 61,862,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Oh get real. I have lived her longer than 3 years and have never had to wait HOURS on ANY road in town, even during the worst snow storms. Also, you are comparing all of these "horrible" things to Arizona???
Ha ha. Not comparing to any one area, it's just a fact. Your TV stations talk about it nearly every evening.
And it you get on 494 & 694 everyday there is traffic backed up for 10-20 miles or more. Recently there was a 6 hour backup. Try to get outta town in the late afternoon. As bad as Los Angeles freeways.
As I said, a nice place to visit and most people are very friendly here, just don't want to spend my precious time here for very long.

Oh by the way over 100,000 Minnesotans come to AZ every winter and what complaints I mention is what they all talk about.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM

128 posts, read 285,708 times
I love the weather here! I guess I would be considered a backcomer lol. Grew up in MN, married a military man and lived throughout the US. We will be living in MN forever.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 AM

247 posts, read 577,438 times
Quote:
Ha ha. Not comparing to any one area, it's just a fact. Your TV stations talk about it nearly every evening.
And it you get on 494 & 694 everyday there is traffic backed up for 10-20 miles or more. Recently there was a 6 hour backup. Try to get outta town in the late afternoon. As bad as Los Angeles freeways.
As I said, a nice place to visit and most people are very friendly here, just don't want to spend my precious time here for very long.

Oh by the way over 100,000 Minnesotans come to AZ every winter and what complaints I mention is what they all talk about.
I was offered a job in arizona, i thought of going there as well. I love the winters there.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM

77 posts, read 200,304 times
I'm moving to the Twin Cities to study for and earn a Masters degree in Education at the end of the month, and I am not certain how long I'll be there. 2 Years for certain, but afterwards, who knows? Minnesota's licensing and certification process is so rigorous that I was told that most states will instantly accept a teacher with a MN license, though the budget cuts in statehouses across the nation might make finding a job afterwards a lot harder. If I find a social studies job in a high school in the Twin Cities area, I can envision myself making a home there for about 5 years, if not longer. Afterwards, I'll probably move down South, or to the Pacific Northwest, with Seattle and Portland, Oregon in mind.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,456,344 times
Quote:

You mean when there was that major accident that CLOSED the road for 6 hours--I am sure that never happens anywhere else. Go drive in Boston for a day and then report back how bad traffic really is here. Oh, and I was in Arizona in March and traffic was horrific--parking lot, not moving at all--every day--good thing we had enough people in the car to use the HOV lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul