Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,170 times

Advertisements

I will start working on the east side of Eagan, MN, near Long Meadow Lake next month. I want to stay within 15 miles of work and I am looking to rent a 3 bedroom apartment or townhouse between $1,500 and $2,500. We are just starting a family and we are looking for something safe and quiet, and at the same time not too far from "happening areas" to enjoy restaurants, visual and performing arts, as well as common things to do with a baby on the weekends. Any recommendations on a neighborhood? Or more generally, any recommendations on which way, from where I will be working, I should conduct my search? (west? north? east? or south?). Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
I would look right in Eagan. There is a lot to do there, great parks, restaurants, etc. and a quick hop into Minneapolis for the museums, etc. for the occasional trip to those vs the daily commute to work. There are several nice complexes along Yankee Doodle and Lexington with lovely walking paths through the parks, etc. there. I would also suggest signing up for the ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) classes to get to know people with kids the same age. They run during the school year and sign up will be soon. They are excellent parenting classes and social networking opportunities .

Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Default Thank you golfgal!

Thank you for advice and for taking the time golfgal.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
I'd look at Mendota/Mendota Heights (They neighbor Eagan) as well. I like that those areas better as they're older & more established/historic + have a small town feel as opposed to a suburb feel. My .02

Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Default Thank you mason3000!

I will certainly look into that area Mason3000. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM

223 posts, read 524,004 times
Default Research on the Area

Hi, just sent you a private message re: names of some people we have been working with in the area. We are moving to the TC next week and I know how stressful it can be looking for a place to live, especially when you live out of state. Good luck!!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
I think I would agree with the above suggestions of Eagan or Mendota Heights. MH, as mentioned, will have more established neighborhoods in the sense of "small town" feel, though Eagan will have more shopping and restaurants (if chain) closer. MH, if memory serves me correctly, will be somewhat smaller or older houses, Eagan probably newer.

Both are generally safe and quiet, both are relatively convenient to get into the core cities if you decide you want the museums, sports events, etc.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 15,622 times
Default Definitely, right in Eagan!

I've lived in Eagan for several years & it's a great area for families. Schools are very good, easy access to most cities/suburbs and I think the shopping and dining out in Eagan is great. And....traffic is much lighter than it is in nearby suburbs!

Tip: What you absolutely will not want to do is live "across the river" - meaning Mpls. suburbs or cities like Richfield, Bloomington, Edina, etc. Rush hour traffic between what we call "south of the river suburbs" and the Mpls. suburbs is absolutely horrific.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinqueen View Post
Tip: What you absolutely will not want to do is live "across the river" - meaning Mpls. suburbs or cities like Richfield, Bloomington, Edina, etc. Rush hour traffic between what we call "south of the river suburbs" and the Mpls. suburbs is absolutely horrific.

Hope this helps. [/color][/b]
I disagree with this. I commute from Minneapolis to Eagan every day and traffic is very light coming from that direction across both the Mendota Bridge and 494. As long as you aren't coming from anywhere west of Cedar Ave you won't have any issues with traffic from that side of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul