Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 AM

97 posts, read 326,725 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to Minneapolis within a few months and wanted some advice on neighborhoods. Will be working in Eden Prairie, but would prefer to live in a bit more urban area with walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Looking for a 3BR townhouse (don't walk to cut grass or shovel snow) in the price range of around 550-650K)for my wife and child.

Any recommendations on neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
There is alot of the Townhome developments (as opposed to Condos) in the Northeast area. I would first look there, close to downtown, stable area, good parks and city amenities. It is the old Eastern European part of town. One of my favorite areas.
Uptown may have some, the area is more urban than Northeast. It is the trandy/gentrified part of town. Movie theaters, restaurants, bars, neighborhood stores, Lund's. Very dense, good transit.
Kenwood is technically urban, but it is mostly residential. I mention it because of the price range.
Saint Louis Park is an urbanized suburb. There is alot along Excelsior Blvd. It is mostly walkable only east of Hwy. 100. There is a cool mix of national chains and small shops. Trader Joe's is popular.
There is a planned Southwest light rail line. It is a few years out, but it will connect Downtown, Saint Louis Park, Hopkins and Eden Prairie. The exact path is undetermined, but if it happens to end up by your work it may decide where you choose to live
http://www.southwesttransitway.org/images/lrt4c.jpg (broken link)
Good luck
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 08-11-2007, 04:09 PM

thanks alot. just to clarify, are you talking about the Northeast part of the city or the northeast part of downtown.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:31 PM

11 posts, read 42,492 times
Welcome to Minnesota! I disagree with the NE idea as that would be a LONG drive to EP. Now with the bridge out, you'll want to be on the south side of the river. I'm thinking you'd like Edina or Hopkins. There are some really nice condo projects being head up in Edina by 50th & France.

I used to write a real estate column for the Star Tribune which profiled neighborhoods. There are some on my website, Home or go to Star Tribune and search my name Lucie B. Amundsen.

Good Luck.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:29 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,074 times
I think you might find what you are looking for around the Excelsior Blvd/ Highway 100 area (also once known as the Miracle Mile area). Lots of townhouses, condos, very trendy, lots of shops and restaurants: we are actually considering moving to that area within the next year or two ourselves.

You really don't want to drive across the river for work; I have to and I hate it because of the traffic. It was a hassle even before the bridge collapsed

Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 PM
M2N

32 posts, read 170,469 times
It depends on what side of Eden Prairie that you will work in... but Minnetonka may have a few homes in your price range. It has a small downtown area with some nice shops...and is only a short drive into Minneapolis down Hwy 394.

The best thing to do is spend a few days in Eden Prairie...and do some driving around.

You may want to check out Edina or the Minnehaha area of Minneapolis...

Welcome!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2N View Post
It depends on what side of Eden Prairie that you will work in... but Minnetonka may have a few homes in your price range. It has a small downtown area with some nice shops...and is only a short drive into Minneapolis down Hwy 394.
Minnetonka has a downtown area? You mean Hopkins? :-)

Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited77 View Post
Will be moving to Minneapolis within a few months and wanted some advice on neighborhoods. Will be working in Eden Prairie, but would prefer to live in a bit more urban area with walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Looking for a 3BR townhouse (don't walk to cut grass or shovel snow) in the price range of around 550-650K)for my wife and child.
I use to live in a townhouse in Eden Prairie just off 169 on Pioneer Trail, and we liked the area, but the lack of trees was a mild annoyance, and it was waaaaay too far for us to walk anywhere.

Some of the developments around Eden Prairie Center might be worth looking at, though. Or even in eastern/central Bloomington. Or maybe in Shakopee. My wife lived in a little house in Shakopee for a few years and really liked it.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2N View Post

The best thing to do is spend a few days in Eden Prairie...and do some driving around.

You may want to check out Edina or the Minnehaha area of Minneapolis...

Welcome!
Can you definte short drive? I currently live in a suburb 7 miles outside Chicago, yet it takes me an hour to get into downtown during the morning or evening rush hours or anytime on a weekend.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:09 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,790 times
There are lots of great reasons to live in a townhome, but maintenance-free living isn't one of them. If your criteria is maintenance-free, there are other options. I have clients asking for townhomes all the time for the same reason.

In an association, you'll pay anywhere from $120(low) to $500(ridiculous) per month for "maintenance-free" living.

Now let me tell you - in the great state of Minnesota, you can get a LOT of grass cut and snow shoveled for $120 per month. My clients who have bought homes with me and hired help to mow and shovel are saving quite a bit of money - especially this summer when the grass really doesn't need mowing (yet associations are still charging...).

Consider a house - but instead of paying an association, just hire the help. If that's the route you go, I have those contacts for you.

It sounds like you're going to be living in one of my favorite areas of the Twin Cities where there are some beautiful, character-rich homes in neighborhoods with charm and history. Depending on your needs, don't let lawn and snow issues keep you from the best part of the housing market.

I hope that helps!

Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul