Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 AM

6 posts, read 7,065 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My name is Robbert Tulp from the Netherlands. I am planning to do my bachelor internship at a large manufacturing company in Hastings, MN. In order to do my internship I need to get a place to stay for a period of 5 months, from February till July 2012. I think this is doable, anybody have any tips where to look for cheap housing?

Also I have heard that it is hard to commute to Hastings, from for example Minneapolis, by public transport. Is this really true? What other options are there for transport? Can I buy a car in the USA on a working Visa?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Greetings from the Netherlands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I would just look in Hastings. It is one of the more affordable places in the metro area to live and then you won't have to worry about commuting.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
If bus routes from Minneapolis to Hastings even exist the service would be sporadic at best. I would not rely on this option. It'd be in your best interest to first look right in Hastings as that would be your most convenient option.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Hello Robbert, welcome to Minnesota and America (well, soon enough). I just looked at the website for the Minneapolis-St.Paul public transit system (Home - Metro Transit). On their map, it does not appear there is any line that goes to Hastings at all. That said, I would say bus service will not be an option for you.

Keep in mind Hastings is a somewhat small city away from the main metropolitan area of Minneapolis-St. Paul. From downtown Minneapolis, Hastings is approximately 30 miles (48 kilometers) away.

I would also suggest considering finding a place in Hastings itself. While perhaps not as flashy as living in Minneapolis, if you will be spending the majority of your time in Hastings, it probably makes more sense to live near where you will spend time, though I realize I am projecting my own preferences onto your situation. I am uncertain if you can purchase a car on a work visa or not. Would your internship or Embassy have information? You may also wish to contact the Minnesota Attorney General's office, which would be our public resource for laws in the State of Minnesota. Their website is Office of Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson.

You might also consider doing a long-term rental of a car too. The major car rental companies do rent cars by the month, though I do not know specifics. You would not have to worry about what to do with the car once you return to the Netherlands.

I hope that is helpful for you.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Parts of Eagan are close to Hastings, and have service to Minneapolis and st Paul, however housing is more expensive. I would opt for housing in Hastings, then rent a car or take a taxi to a bus station the handful of times you want to check out the cities in your 5 month stay. The money you'll save on housing in Hastings will allow you to not mind spending a little bit a few times to travel.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Hi,

I want to thank you all for the quick replies on the subject I posted.
I have been looking into housing in Hastings and it is as you said, affordable.

I however had the desire to live in the city, because there they have student housing and that is a great way to get to know some people in the USA. But since getting from Hastings to Minneapolis is such an impossible task, I think I'll live in Hastings. And I'll look into the car subject! Thanks for the heads up!

greetings

Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Not impossible, just not reasonable without a car. Even with a car, it's a commute you'd probably be better off avoiding if possible. Hastings is over 30 miles from Minneapolis and over 20 miles from St. Paul.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 07-27-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
It's definitely possible to commute that far, but why would you want to? I know when I was really young, my family lived in Hastings for a short period of time. My dad was commuting to Minneapolis/St. Louis Park for his job. He did it, but I don't think it was much fun.

Your best bet...stick to Hastings.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 PM

298 posts, read 750,956 times
Hello Tulip25:

Since your internship is in Hastings, and you would like to live where there are more college students in their 20's and Minneapolis being thirty plus miles from Hastings, you may want to look across the Mississippi River at River Falls, Wisconsin.

The campus of University of Wisconsin-River Falls is only 10-to-15 minutes from Hastings, MN with abundance of affordable, off-campus housing near the UW-River Falls campus with a college atmosphere. There is no traffic between Hastings, Prescott and River Falls. The Univ. of Wisconsin-River Falls campus is only 25 miles to downtown St. Paul, 35 miles to downtown Minneapolis and 10 miles to Hudson,WI.

I would suggest posting a River Falls question on the Wisconsin Board as well.

If you decide on living in Hastings as others have correctly suggested, there are plenty of rental townhomes and apartments available since the housing bubble burst. Hastings also has a Target, Cub Foods Grocery Store, Wal-Mart Supercenter, numerous chain restaurants like: Green Mill Pizza, Arby's Mc Donalds, Apllebee's, Panera Bread and historic restaurants/ shopping, drinking establishments along their beautiful historic riverfront downtown. Dakota County Services are also based in Hastings as well.

Welcome to the United States and the St. Croix River Valley, or as the locals call it "The Friendly Valley"

An automobile is must in this area.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 AM

Hello,

Thanks to you all for the reactions. I think River Falls is also a good option, if I can buy a car in the US. I've looked into it and I think it is possible to buy a car during my stay on a work visa. I'll check back here when the time comes! I will be in the US from February till July!

See you then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul