U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 PM

19 posts, read 137,315 times

Advertisements

East Saint Paul is spiraling out of control. Its becoming nothing more than a drug infested gang haven. What the hell happened and why are officials acting so slowly about this situation? Teen parenting and education are become huge issues as well. I am 21 and almost all my friends, my age and younger (aka in their teens) are having kids.

Saint Paul, more specifically the east side is a world away from what it used to be when i was growing up ten years ago...and i am sure the elderly people from the east side are appalled. Its not getting any better either. Im not sure what to think about it anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM

18 posts, read 83,872 times
Default Not all Eastsiders agree. I love East Saint Paul!

If all you see is what is wrong with East Saint Paul then you need to take a closer look. It has too much history and so many positive things that are trying to happen. There is a church on 5th and Ruth that is having a neighborhood event and fundraiser August 16th, 2007 @ 6pm. Raising money for Merrick Community services and East Saint Paul Lutheran School. Tell your friends family and neighbors to come and work on making the neighborhood a place all 22,000 residents want to live, work and be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostrandAv View Post
East Saint Paul is spiraling out of control. Its becoming nothing more than a drug infested gang haven. What the hell happened and why are officials acting so slowly about this situation? Teen parenting and education are become huge issues as well. I am 21 and almost all my friends, my age and younger (aka in their teens) are having kids.

Saint Paul, more specifically the east side is a world away from what it used to be when i was growing up ten years ago...and i am sure the elderly people from the east side are appalled. Its not getting any better either. Im not sure what to think about it anymore.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 AM

19 posts, read 137,315 times
I didnt say I hated the eastside. Its just going to hell in all major sections.

its nice you are doing that though. I would love to help but I just move to brooklyn new york.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 PM

751 posts, read 1,083,974 times
As I was driving through East St Paul today, I noticed a LOT of homes for sale, I understand it is a buyers market, but I am talking about 6-7 homes for sale on one block. It might be a good place for those looking for affordable houses, but I am not a big fan of that neighborhood.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 16,785 times
The uneducated gangs have taken east saint paul down the drain. Not 1 garage around me doesn't have some kind of racial slur, mostly towards white people from the wanna be gang GD's. I have lived in st.pauls east side 15 yrs. now, raising my children. It makes me sad to see how bad it is now. We have some nice families around us, some sweet children.. unfortunately if you are white, 5 yrs. old or 12 yrs. old,does not matter, theres a good chance you will have teenagers throwing fire crackers at your children, trying to be intimidating. Makes a person think differently about buying a gun these days. 3 days ago someone tried to break in my home at 9am, they were unable to get through the 2 locks. That was very tramatizing for my 7 yr. old. If your going to live in st.paul, its only good if you have money and can afford to live in the higher class neighborhood.. and this is being said by someone that has lived here in Saint Paul for 17 years. And I am sorry but its the city, there should NOT be roosters running the streets !! This is not the farm country. And it is the United States.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 PM

152 posts, read 275,313 times
The eastside of St. Paul is in serious need of rehabilitation. The St. Paul Port Authority has recently completed the sale of two former 3M sites to businesses looking to build and expand. Hopefully its a sign of future revitalization.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM

6,519 posts, read 15,795,188 times
Many East Side neighborhoods went from middle class and working class to underclass in just a couple decades. But when people point to "revitalization" to reverse the trend, for me it raises the question of where the bad guys will go when they are displaced from the East Side. What neighborhood must be trashed next? How do we get a handle on this and stop city nieghborhoods from deteriorating in this vicious cycle? I don't have all the answers, but to me, the solutions are solved with social strategies, not land use or development strategies. We have to find a way to stop perpetuating the underclass. I don't buy the proposition that this is the price we must pay for a capitalistic economy.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 38,534 times
When I saw this title it truly broke my heart! "URBAN" is PC term for color-appalling! Are we honestly going to say that the condition of the east side is a "urban" problem? I live here in the area of third & Maria..I haven't met 1 "urban" shop keeper, 1 "Urban" Landlord, I know there out there but I'm yet to see and "urban" police patrol my neighborhood nor an "urban" Librarian. So if were looking for someone to blame then yeah let's call it THE URBAN DECAY OF EAST SAINT PAUL but if were looking for some changes some solutions let's talk DECAY of Saint Paul PERIOD!! I'm a black Woman..sorry Urban woman & I don't like to make issues on race when problem solving but I guess here I don't feel guilty I'm not raising I'm correcting whoever chose to make it about race. I used to live on the east side about a decade or more ago. At the time I moved it wasn't a great place then-Slumlord in a beautiful neighborhood is why I ultimately left & at the time I did so the was an Influx or more thirsty petty characters I admit that, as well as most of the establishments being replaced by Latino focused business. Now that i'm back here in Dayton's bluff I ride metro @ 3rd and maria 1m 479 ft from it's downtown pick up location. Yesterday I took a walk down 7th I noticed a bus sign @ 7th & maria outside the college 1.4m from the same downtown location that read downtown zone..for those of you who don't ride metro transit that means reduced fair. I got on line to check the metro transit website and understand why in a neighborhood of greatly reduced income do I pay $26.50 more to take the same time/distance as those of greatly Increased incomes @ identical stops 4 blocks over? My heart said it was an urban thing..saddening! Upset I searched deeper to find out who advocates these things for DB..I found your forum. It pisses me off. I cannot speak for all "Urban" people just as a non-urban person cannot speak for all non-urban people..but I can say for myself. I do not want nor need your outreach special programs to tell me how to live or change my life..I want the same options as my counter parts to do for myself. Problems you have like what's going on in Dayton's bluff is not sole due to it's low income residence but mostly to it's community members that should know better and already have excerised their options to better. Also, on part of the city to try to let's say "contain" "isolate" "discourage" "create desired sterotypes" of a certain demographic..thus building these awful neighborhoods full of displaced people, out-of-control Un-attended children, Stress of broken homes under the pressure, Un-concerned Enforcement officers & school officials..followed by the slum lords shady corner stores liquor stores & drug dealers all because some ******* wanted to save/make a buck on the urban decay of this city. You know if it cost you three times more to get where your going then you have to find a way to make 3x more, and you have to spend 3x more away from your family and you have to physically and mentally work your body 3x more for the same thing and knowing your counterparts don't have to makes for one angry type of character. And when you know you don't have a voice in it..your neighborhood..your city..has constantly reinforced your decaying status..then you may just say screw it, tear the muther up or down however you want to look at it. When no matter what color you are how much money you make where you come from..we are all just people with the same goals and the same fears and I don't know about you but I'm mad as hell and tired of excuses!!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 59,149,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madashellnotimeforexc.. View Post
When I saw this title it truly broke my heart! "URBAN" is PC term for color-appalling! Are we honestly going to say that the condition of the east side is a "urban" problem? I live here in the area of third & Maria..I haven't met 1 "urban" shop keeper, 1 "Urban" Landlord, I know there out there but I'm yet to see and "urban" police patrol my neighborhood nor an "urban" Librarian. So if were looking for someone to blame then yeah let's call it THE URBAN DECAY OF EAST SAINT PAUL but if were looking for some changes some solutions let's talk DECAY of Saint Paul PERIOD!! I'm a black Woman..sorry Urban woman & I don't like to make issues on race when problem solving but I guess here I don't feel guilty I'm not raising I'm correcting whoever chose to make it about race. I used to live on the east side about a decade or more ago. At the time I moved it wasn't a great place then-Slumlord in a beautiful neighborhood is why I ultimately left & at the time I did so the was an Influx or more thirsty petty characters I admit that, as well as most of the establishments being replaced by Latino focused business. Now that i'm back here in Dayton's bluff I ride metro @ 3rd and maria 1m 479 ft from it's downtown pick up location. Yesterday I took a walk down 7th I noticed a bus sign @ 7th & maria outside the college 1.4m from the same downtown location that read downtown zone..for those of you who don't ride metro transit that means reduced fair. I got on line to check the metro transit website and understand why in a neighborhood of greatly reduced income do I pay $26.50 more to take the same time/distance as those of greatly Increased incomes @ identical stops 4 blocks over? My heart said it was an urban thing..saddening! Upset I searched deeper to find out who advocates these things for DB..I found your forum. It pisses me off. I cannot speak for all "Urban" people just as a non-urban person cannot speak for all non-urban people..but I can say for myself. I do not want nor need your outreach special programs to tell me how to live or change my life..I want the same options as my counter parts to do for myself. Problems you have like what's going on in Dayton's bluff is not sole due to it's low income residence but mostly to it's community members that should know better and already have excerised their options to better. Also, on part of the city to try to let's say "contain" "isolate" "discourage" "create desired sterotypes" of a certain demographic..thus building these awful neighborhoods full of displaced people, out-of-control Un-attended children, Stress of broken homes under the pressure, Un-concerned Enforcement officers & school officials..followed by the slum lords shady corner stores liquor stores & drug dealers all because some ******* wanted to save/make a buck on the urban decay of this city. You know if it cost you three times more to get where your going then you have to find a way to make 3x more, and you have to spend 3x more away from your family and you have to physically and mentally work your body 3x more for the same thing and knowing your counterparts don't have to makes for one angry type of character. And when you know you don't have a voice in it..your neighborhood..your city..has constantly reinforced your decaying status..then you may just say screw it, tear the muther up or down however you want to look at it. When no matter what color you are how much money you make where you come from..we are all just people with the same goals and the same fears and I don't know about you but I'm mad as hell and tired of excuses!!
Or in the more common vernacular 'urban' means city as apposed to suburban or rural

Old 12-26-2009, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 38,534 times
Actually It wasn't used in a common manner in this text and if you didn't understand that I suggest you re-read the title and continue down. Saint Paul is already a city=Urban. Were talking about the people in it k. That's what I'm talking about. It's so sad I was born here in Minnesota and sometimes you can really feel like an alien for using your common sense being honest and wanting people to better for one another. You would rather argue the pointless and blame a already mocked population.

You know I also wanted to say since we've been here and we live in the heart of the mess My children have had bikes stolen skate boards jacked I've been threatened by several teenagers at a time and the police were to scared to do something So it pisses me off people point the finger in generalization. You can't say it's urban 'cause I am and i don't do that My children don't do that. Were not used to living this type of community or live or whatever either and I am not the exception because I have a huge family all from here..and they would all be appalled at the behavior's you see here.

You know sir with the racial slurs..em so what. That's happened to so many generations of other races in this country. Just Google your president k. It's called home depot. Am I saying that's cool. not at all. But children are children they are not the law..So tell me how did your tax dollars go to work for you in that situation? 'Cause in mine I thought If SPPD won't check these kids they won't check.

I live right by the rec. center I don't even let my kids play there..for peace sakes, but all those miss behaving children..you know there that way at school. Do you put pressure on your school district to punish this behavior? I'm up there regularly..'cause chances are if they learn how to behave in school they will behave better out side of school.

How about parents do you ever search them out? I do I knock on doors even the ghetto 1's or un willing what have you. But when your just 1 parent in a community of hundreds willing to say In correct..You don't make big waves. Why is it not a habit to these common sense things in saint Paul in Minnesota on the east side?

Why do we label tolerate and separate here in this state?

I don't believe your a victim and people are targeting you because your white-again the Minnesota way..let's ban together and label this group bad..Your no different then me sir. Except you don't have your city officials right down to transportation taxing you to breath calling you a stain..a majority even the ones who like you calling you decay/different/ special and your not constantly criminalized by association for something you strive everyday to keep away from your children by people with the power to change things. Yeah you can get a gun but I don't think that very wise when have of the high school students in this city own have access to or carry a gun. Why not get some integrity. Minnesota pull the sticks out of your butt get down of your pedestals stop talking out of your neck and do something positive everybody. "one random act of Kindness at a time"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul