Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times

Advertisements

Well I know one of Pawlenty's favorite restaurants is west off Rice and Uni', I know that. There is just something about heading west on University past Rice that doesn't sit well with me. The area just really seems decrepit and littered with trash. Seems to be loiterers all over as well, up to no good.

Just my 2 cents (again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times
Eh, that area is not terrible if you're going there during the day.

And it's certainly no worse than 75% of the East Side. (I'm an Eastsider born and raised so I can say that)

Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 AM

What, Payne? Arcade? Maryland and Prosperity gets towards the projects. I don't know, but I think you're stretching it. You go down toward Lex and University and tell me it's a beautiful intersection, or even Dale and University and say that.

Again, I just believe that, and I do believe there are stats over the years to back up that University is worse than the East Side. But I will not argue, as I believe the woman is in town now and she has since made her mind up on the matter.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 AM

Oh I'm not arguing the North End/Frogtown is beautiful or anything. Far from it. But the Eastside is not exactly a shining example of well maintained homes and crime free streets. The area where I grew up, by White Bear Ave and Maryland, certainly isn't what it used to be.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Oh I'm not arguing the North End/Frogtown is beautiful or anything. Far from it. But the Eastside is not exactly a shining example of well maintained homes and crime free streets. The area where I grew up, by White Bear Ave and Maryland, certainly isn't what it used to be.
I won't argue that. But I'm on the outskirts by Phalen, Johnson Pkwy and 61 by that big church on the border of Maplewood. Very nice area IMO. Anything on or by the border of Maplewood is pretty nice in my opinion. But you are right WBA and Maryland has deteriorated as well, but I'd venture to say Frogtown is probably the worst part of the entire city.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I won't argue that. But I'm on the outskirts by Phalen, Johnson Pkwy and 61 by that big church on the border of Maplewood. Very nice area IMO. Anything on or by the border of Maplewood is pretty nice in my opinion. But you are right WBA and Maryland has deteriorated as well, but I'd venture to say Frogtown is probably the worst part of the entire city.
That is a good area. Anything west of Phalen park, north of Wheelock is nice. The few holdout areas that are still nice are mainly around the fringes of the Eastside, like your area, the Hillcrest area, Battle Creek, and by Mounds Park south of 94.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
That is a good area. Anything west of Phalen park, north of Wheelock is nice. The few holdout areas that are still nice are mainly around the fringes of the Eastside, like your area, the Hillcrest area, Battle Creek, and by Mounds Park south of 94.
Very true about all those areas. LOTS of legendary hockey players came right out of the area I am. Ana Blohoski (olmypic gold medalist) and her brother came right out of the area you first referred to. Tons of other great hockey players also right in that vicinity. The entire Arcade/Maryland neighborhood produced a US Olympian every year from '60-'80. Heck Herb Brooks loved it here and still drank at Vogel's until he passed.

Anyway, I digress, but I'm a Govie, so you have to expect that sort of banter.

I think in a nutshell since my father in the '60s til me today the landscape has changed dramatically, and I dare say not for the better.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 AM

17 posts, read 59,114 times
I have since returned to TX from our visit to St. Paul. We went onto University Ave. a few times during the day and it was fine. I didn't feel unsafe at all--I have walked many a Houston street in worse shape during the day. I liked the ethnic diversity there too. Heard several different Asian languages used and spoke Vietnamese to my server in one of the stores.

I have to say, you Minnesotans are a friendly bunch. Our visit was very pleasant and the Xcel Center was really cool. The downtown area in St. Paul was also very pretty. I do wish we had gotten a car so we could see more of the city. The Science Museum was also neat.

All in all, this was a great first impression of your state. I liked your clean air and again, the overall friendliness of the locals.

My friends back home in TX tell me that it got up to 107 degrees a few days when I was up in MN, so I was glad to have missed that. I would probably not be visiting again during your winter though.

Anyway, thanks very much for the responses. I hope to visit again.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:16 PM

332 posts, read 822,102 times
During the day you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul