Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times

Advertisements

It's often very sunny here in winter. However, we're far enough north that the daylight hours are noticeably short late November through February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
It's often very sunny here in winter. However, we're far enough north that the daylight hours are noticeably short late November through February.
Not too different than most Northern cities though, like Chicago, NYC, etc. 3 or 4 lattitude lines doesn't make a HUGE difference when it comes to sunlight, but some...yes. Denver is easily at the 37th or 38th parallel, so I can see the daylight being noticeably different between the two cities.....like you said.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:22 AM

13 posts, read 23,961 times
I've lived in both places.

Sports vs Arts - If you are more into sports, you'd prefer Denver. If you are more into arts, you'd prefer Minneapolis. It's not that each city doesn't have some of both, but each city clearly has more offerings in one than the other.

Mountains vs Water - If you like mountains and the kind of recreation they have, obviously it's Denver. If you prefer water activities, it's Minneapolis. This is one where it's more all or nothing. There aren't any real mountains around Minneapolis (just a few small ski areas in driving range) or any real water around Denver (just a few tiny, crowded reservoirs).

Hot vs Cold - Summers are too hot in Denver, but they don't really get winters. (The occasional snow outside the mountains lasts a few days.) Winters can be very cold in Minneapolis, but summers are more moderate. If you don't like snow, I wouldn't choose Minneapolis. Denver is supposedly better because of being dryer, but I've found a lot more health issues there related to the humidity being too low. If you like your landscape green, Denver is not the place to be. It's not as brown as New Mexico, but it's mostly beige unless you water extensively.

Diversity - Denver is very much white and Hispanic. Minneapolis has a much broader mix of cultures, religions, etc.

Those are the main differences I can think of right now. Biking seems to be widely accepted both places, although there was a major party gubernatorial candidate in Colorado who was of the opinion that bike lanes were a UN plot to take over Denver. (He didn't get elected, and there are plenty of nutty politicians in Minneapolis.)

As for GIS, I think Garmin in Minneapolis might do something related to that, but I'm not sure what is similar in Denver. Both cities are reasonably progressive, and neither has a particularly good job market right now, but it's been worse.

Good luck with wherever you choose.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sioux Falls, for the size town, has a LOT to offer, culturally and otherwise. There is a LARGE bike culture there as well. To "go" places there you could bike quite easily (except for the large hills around town). There are plenty of side streets, trails, sidewalks, etc. to get around on a bike. Besides, the OP said that biking is a hobby, not a mode of transportation.
I sometimes wonder if you ever read. The OP pretty clearly said that they would like to use biking as a form of transportation about 75 percent of the time. Unless I'm mistaken, "transportation" is not synonymous with "hobby, not a mode of transportation".

I'm not putting down Sioux Falls culture. Many people clearly like to live there. It must offer something good. But that still doesn't mean a comparison of Sioux Falls to Minneapolis or Denver is a fair fight. Are you going to -- with a straight face -- tell everyone that Sioux Falls compares to these? That would be like if I said that Duluth, where I hail from, has better cultural opportunities than the Twin Cities. Sure, you can do different things than Minneapolis in Duluth (Lake Superior, anyone?), but Duluth is still a small regional hub. Like Sioux Falls is.

Besides that, my point wasn't that you couldn't bike. It's just that it would be terribly inconvenient if they have to deal with suburban-style development (which is not bike friendly when you are looking to actually go places), bike trails that are typically for leisure, etc.

Sioux Falls has a bike culture the way Fargo has a bike culture. I was out there for school for a year (and my dad owns a second business there, so we have had strong ties to the area for quite some time) and people certainly did bike, but it's not a bike culture. Minneapolis and Portland have bike culture. Sioux Falls has bikers. Some are extreme and like to ride in the winter with cars whizzing by them, but that doesn't make a city "bike friendly".

Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 AM

378 posts, read 707,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I sometimes wonder if you ever read. The OP pretty clearly said that they would like to use biking as a form of transportation about 75 percent of the time. Unless I'm mistaken, "transportation" is not synonymous with "hobby, not a mode of transportation".

I'm not putting down Sioux Falls culture. Many people clearly like to live there. It must offer something good. But that still doesn't mean a comparison of Sioux Falls to Minneapolis or Denver is a fair fight. Are you going to -- with a straight face -- tell everyone that Sioux Falls compares to these? That would be like if I said that Duluth, where I hail from, has better cultural opportunities than the Twin Cities. Sure, you can do different things than Minneapolis in Duluth (Lake Superior, anyone?), but Duluth is still a small regional hub. Like Sioux Falls is.

Besides that, my point wasn't that you couldn't bike. It's just that it would be terribly inconvenient if they have to deal with suburban-style development (which is not bike friendly when you are looking to actually go places), bike trails that are typically for leisure, etc.

Sioux Falls has a bike culture the way Fargo has a bike culture. I was out there for school for a year (and my dad owns a second business there, so we have had strong ties to the area for quite some time) and people certainly did bike, but it's not a bike culture. Minneapolis and Portland have bike culture. Sioux Falls has bikers. Some are extreme and like to ride in the winter with cars whizzing by them, but that doesn't make a city "bike friendly".
More to the point, the big GIS draw in Sioux Falls (EROS) is quite a ways outside of town, making cycling more difficult.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
But he has been looking for work for a long time and still hasn't found a job. Biking 15 miles in FLAT, FLAT South Dakota is going to be a heck of a lot easier then Biking through Minneapolis .

Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
But he has been looking for work for a long time and still hasn't found a job. Biking 15 miles in FLAT, FLAT South Dakota is going to be a heck of a lot easier then Biking through Minneapolis .
Really? Cause my 5 minute bike ride to the UM or 20 minutes to downtown is a breeze. Biking 15 miles is going to take an hour if you're going at a pretty decent clip (and you'd be sweating with likely no showers). Not that he'd have to bike if he was there. But since that was your point... Now if he gets a job in Sioux Falls, GREAT. He should take it! But when we're talking culture (including bike culture!), then Minneapolis and Denver are very different from Sioux Falls. We're talking two different things.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Really? Cause my 5 minute bike ride to the UM or 20 minutes to downtown is a breeze. Biking 15 miles is going to take an hour if you're going at a pretty decent clip (and you'd be sweating with likely no showers). Not that he'd have to bike if he was there. But since that was your point... Now if he gets a job in Sioux Falls, GREAT. He should take it! But when we're talking culture (including bike culture!), then Minneapolis and Denver are very different from Sioux Falls. We're talking two different things.
And after 9 months still hasn't found a job in either place....

Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
I don't know what the job offer is in Sioux Falls is, and if he were to stumble upon a job there then he should take it, but I have to laugh at the thought of Sioux Falls being comparable to Minneapolis and Denver...

Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I don't know what the job offer is in Sioux Falls is, and if he were to stumble upon a job there then he should take it, but I have to laugh at the thought of Sioux Falls being comparable to Minneapolis and Denver...
No one said it was comparable--it was another OPTION to consider....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul