Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,391,880 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what spots and/or facilities there are in the TC that aren't gnarly against a homeless car owner? I have a car so I just want to know if and where I can park?

Don't expect any mischief because I am not looking to make trouble. Just need some places to hold me over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,840,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I was just wondering what spots and/or facilities there are in the TC that aren't gnarly against a homeless car owner? I have a car so I just want to know if and where I can park?

Don't expect any mischief because I am not looking to make trouble. Just need some places to hold me over.
Do you have a family or are you single? You mention needing places to 'hold you over'- do you have a housing option that will be available down the road? If you have any money to your name, there are places geared towards singles that are a step up from shelters that will charge a daily or monthly rate for a room/board. Then of course there are shelters, which would likely be preferable to your car.

You should call 211 and tell them you are in need of housing, or call some of the numbers listed at this site to get help for your situation: Shelters and Emergency Housing: Minnesota - HUD

As for parking, I'm not sure- I hear people in RVs are allowed to park in Wal-Mart parking lots (not sure if this is the case still or not), so maybe you could try and hide your car behind an RV or two at a Walmart.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your situation-

Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Do you have a family or are you single? You mention needing places to 'hold you over'- do you have a housing option that will be available down the road? If you have any money to your name, there are places geared towards singles that are a step up from shelters that will charge a daily or monthly rate for a room/board. Then of course there are shelters, which would likely be preferable to your car.

You should call 211 and tell them you are in need of housing, or call some of the numbers listed at this site to get help for your situation: Shelters and Emergency Housing: Minnesota - HUD

As for parking, I'm not sure- I hear people in RVs are allowed to park in Wal-Mart parking lots (not sure if this is the case still or not), so maybe you could try and hide your car behind an RV or two at a Walmart.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your situation-
I'm going to contact the Gospel Mission here in a day or two. I believe that is the first place I will wind up. Then again I hear that place is wicked hard to get into, much less when it is 5 degrees outside in February. Not sure honestly if I will even live through the Winter if it is in my car. Oh well. Obviously people probably wonder here how I am in this position but I don't feel like this is the time for me to get into that.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Have you contacted social services about getting into Section 8 housing, etc.?? Can you afford ANYTHING for rent? What about one of the state/county parks and "camping" until you get on your feet? It still costs money to do that but it is a lot less then rent. You would also have access to bathroom/shower facilities, etc. and the parks are safe.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Have you contacted social services about getting into Section 8 housing, etc.?? Can you afford ANYTHING for rent? What about one of the state/county parks and "camping" until you get on your feet? It still costs money to do that but it is a lot less then rent. You would also have access to bathroom/shower facilities, etc. and the parks are safe.
I have a few thousand saved and my car and that's it. I never thought about the camping I will look into that. The only problem is in a couple months there will be several feet of snow on the ground and you will freeze to death in probably hours. I am certain campgrounds will not be functioning at all during Winter.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,165,287 times
Quote:
I'm going to contact the Gospel Mission here in a day or two. I believe that is the first place I will wind up. Then again I hear that place is wicked hard to get into, much less when it is 5 degrees outside in February. Not sure honestly if I will even live through the Winter if it is in my car. Oh well. Obviously people probably wonder here how I am in this position but I don't feel like this is the time for me to get into that.
Since you have a car, why not drive south where it is warmer. There are oodles of jobs in S. Texas during the winter months, Florida too, I'm told. Arizona, New Mexico. There are lots better places to sleep in your car than in 5 degrees.

Best of luck

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Since you have a car, why not drive south where it is warmer. There are oodles of jobs in S. Texas during the winter months, Florida too, I'm told. Arizona, New Mexico. There are lots better places to sleep in your car than in 5 degrees.

Best of luck

20yrsinBranson
Oh I've thought about that, many, many times. While my car is trustworthy, it is showing wear and there is no telling what will go at a time like that.Actually just replaced the starter. Further, the South would be alien to me and, while there are few (if any) locally that are either my blood or legitimate friends, there would be none in the South. I still think about Florida because I do have aunt and uncle there, but I really don't want to pry. I am a lifelong East Sider (30 y/o FWIW) and I love St. Paul more than any place on the planet. I just figured since so many can make it here on the outside I see no reason I can't as well. It's going to take some effort though and if I lose my car It would be devastating.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Quote:
I have a few thousand saved and my car and that's it. I never thought about the camping I will look into that. The only problem is in a couple months there will be several feet of snow on the ground and you will freeze to death in probably hours. I am certain campgrounds will not be functioning at all during Winter.
No, the parks are not open in the winter but it would give you a place to stay before then.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 AM

506 posts, read 1,012,637 times
Sell your computer, bro.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Sell your computer, bro.
You kidding? For starters it's a Dell D600 (not particularly valuable since I have a few grand) and it will keep me connected to the world. The local libraries are going to be of particular importance to me, since I graduated from school back in December and my login rights are now gone there. My laptop is wi-fi situated so I can go to any fastfood joint and keep connected. I don't know how I'm going to find decent employment without a phone. Hope I can keep up my cellie payments and get a PO Box. That is the only way I will be able to get out of this God forsaken conundrum I've found myself in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul