Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM

687 posts, read 1,249,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb View Post
Um, Stillwater has sent none other than Michele Bachmann to public office (2001-2003, MN state legislator; 2003-present, US House of Representatives). Stillwater may be slightly less conservative than the rest of the 6th district, but not by much. Stillwater is primarily older, white, and socially/economically conservative.
Stillwater is conservative??? Stillwater almost always votes for the DFL in statewide races (something like 3 Republican wins vs. 12 DFL wins in the past decade; and in U.S. Congress votes it's DFL 6, Republicans 0). Stillwater even votes reasonably strongly against Bachmann.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 AM

136 posts, read 381,907 times
Yes, the city itself is liberal, but there are plenty of Conservatives to go around in the Stillwater "area." Race-wise, the OP will be happy there. Remember, he's not part of the Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton crowd, as indicated by his posts. Black Conservatives usually don't care how white their communities are.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM

679 posts, read 1,794,397 times
My family lived in Stillwater for 5 years and recently moved away. I would say the younger folks split about 50/50 Dem/Repub. Contrary to others, I think of Stillwater as a community with a family focus. It has a great vibe about it and has most everything you need within 5 minutes, including an interesting and historic Main St. I would be really surprised if you experienced any racism, most people no matter their political persuasion are pretty progressive. But that said, there are very, very few black families in the area.

Please DM if I can be of further help.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,085,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
My family lived in Stillwater for 5 years and recently moved away. I would say the younger folks split about 50/50 Dem/Repub. Contrary to others, I think of Stillwater as a community with a family focus. It has a great vibe about it and has most everything you need within 5 minutes, including an interesting and historic Main St. I would be really surprised if you experienced any racism, most people no matter their political persuasion are pretty progressive. But that said, there are very, very few black families in the area.

Please DM if I can be of further help.
I grew up in Stillwater, it was Hippie Central in the 70's, most of those people still live there in those huge $1,000,000 Victorians. He will NOT have issues in Stillwater.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,441 times
I grew up in the Stillwater area and still go there often. Stillwater is much prettier than St. Paul. The St Croix river valley is soooo much nicer than the Mississippi through St. Paul. And it's a river you wouldn't given a second thought to swimming or fishing in. It's really a jewel and it's amazing that it's so close to a major metropolitan area and not a polluted mess like the Mississippi.

I'm not black so I can't comment on race relations in Stillwater. The Stillwater school district pulls in from a huge area (south to Afton and north to Marine on St. Croix) so you're bound to get quite a mix of kids. I don't remember kids being overtly racist but minnesotans are pretty reserved people and will typically not say things to your face.

Washington county has the highest per capita household income in MN so kids typically come from middle to upper middle class households. Stillwater has a really good school system and the high school is a really nice campus.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM

38 posts, read 59,794 times
Are you for sure sold on one of those two locations? How about a small suburb right in-between? I live in Oakdale which is smack between St. Paul and Stillwater. Oakdale is fairly small and is a very family oriented neighboorhood with a lot of younger families. There is not a high population of "rich" people in Oakdale which some may associate with close-mindedness. It's a really nice neighborhood and I've never, ever felt unsafe here. And the drive to Stillwater takes about 15 minutes, the drive to St. Paul about 15 minutes, and Minneapols about 30 minutes. There is close access to almost all major freeways - 94, 494, 694, 36, 35W, and 35E are all minutes away. I love my neighborhood. Lake Elmo is also over here, although it's a more sprawling suburb and the homes are usually on more land.

I'd recommend looking around Highway 5/Granada/Century a.k.a. 120.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,370,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwag View Post
I grew up in the Stillwater area and still go there often. Stillwater is much prettier than St. Paul. The St Croix river valley is soooo much nicer than the Mississippi through St. Paul. And it's a river you wouldn't given a second thought to swimming or fishing in. It's really a jewel and it's amazing that it's so close to a major metropolitan area and not a polluted mess like the Mississippi.

I'm not black so I can't comment on race relations in Stillwater. The Stillwater school district pulls in from a huge area (south to Afton and north to Marine on St. Croix) so you're bound to get quite a mix of kids. I don't remember kids being overtly racist but minnesotans are pretty reserved people and will typically not say things to your face.

Washington county has the highest per capita household income in MN so kids typically come from middle to upper middle class households. Stillwater has a really good school system and the high school is a really nice campus.

Good luck.
I've heard the St. Croix has a minimum of a dozen chemicals in it. I would never eat fish out of the St. Croix. That said, I still love Beer Can Island's beach. It is probably my favorite beach around, but it is not a "family" beach.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,085,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I've heard the St. Croix has a minimum of a dozen chemicals in it. I would never eat fish out of the St. Croix. That said, I still love Beer Can Island's beach. It is probably my favorite beach around, but it is not a "family" beach.

The St. Croix regularly ranks as one of, if not THE, cleanest rivers in the nation. The MISSISSIPPI is not however.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM

332 posts, read 818,926 times
I lived in Woodbury and my husband is black. We never had any problems there. Stillwater is great but I have heard it is run by "the good old boy's club" when it comes to public office, fire department, police etc. Though I am sure it is great as well. Really in MN, I think we are doing well when it comes to racism. Another nice place would be Highland Park in St. Paul. I lived there when I went to school at St. Kate's. It is a lovely neighborhood with a great location.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,370,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

The St. Croix regularly ranks as one of, if not THE, cleanest rivers in the nation. The MISSISSIPPI is not however.
Maybe it was just hearsay. I honestly can't remember who told me that but I heard it has a lot of chemicals from someone. I know the Mighty Mississippi is filthy though for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul